It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:09

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Go Pro Hero3+ Settings?
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2013, 14:52 
Vice President

Hey Guys,

I know Jaka posted about the hero 3 but it didnt say what I needed!

Just bought my new hero 3+ black edition and am curious to know about the settings that would get the best results?

I will be using 1080p 30fps because I want to upload to youtube. Should i use Wide, Medium or Narrow FOV? - I'm wearing my go pro on a head strap.

Also - my gun is 1200 sparid (bit big for the bay but its my all round gun) and that's what I use so I need the field of view that best sees the gun, the fish, and still captures a good angle of the underwater sea life.

I spend the majority of my time on the surface and ill dive down to check out stuff if it gets deeper, and I will most likely have my go pro on an angl as I am at the surface, but my main concern would be what FOV ( Field of View ) I should be using?

Thanks.

Mitch.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2013, 15:50 
Forum Member

Hey mate, in my opinion use 1080p 30fps with medium FOV, I have been using these setting on my GoPro hero 3 black for all my dives and the video comes out great! Just need to get enough exciting footage for a video aha!

Edit - I also have been using a head strap mount and notice a lot of above water footage, this isn't too bad but a little annoying... Still get most of the important footage caught underwater.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2013, 15:58 
Vice President

Hey Jaka,

I have the Hero3+ so the casing is smaller, maybe that will reduce the footage filmed above water on the surface?

I'm going to try it with the headstrap at an angle so that I can see the full length of my gun and the fish. I'm also going to try narrow for a dive and then medium for a dive, I want to get it right. I want to be able to see the fish up close, as well as the scenery behind the fish if that's possible.

I'm stoked about having my go pro, but I need to figure out the settings then I will stop being confused about it!

I need the best results for youtube, because quality = views!

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2013, 07:19 
Forum Member

I did tests underwater with different combinations of settings and found these two to be best...

Wide 1080p 30fps - Makes the fish look smaller but drags all the scenery in, scenery can also a bit curved and forced in. But will have the widest view.

Medium 1080p 30fps - Gets everything you try to video into the view, you dont really miss any important stuff, looks natural and this fish look the size they should, perfect in My opinion!

I never used narrow underwater as it is really narrow and dont wanna miss anything! I always use Medium as is has the best perspective in my opinion.

If you dont do this i think you should start, just to keep your camera safe! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWf1cBweDfY

Also your camera would have less bobbing if its smaller! Where was my common sense.. aha

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2013, 17:18 
Vice President

Where would I be without you jaka!

Instead of the snorkel method, reckon just putting my wetsuit hood over the top would work as well?

If not, ill start doing the snorkel method!

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2013, 19:23 
Forum Member

I don't use my hood that often but that could be a good way too, the snorkel methods really good, need a mate to adjust it for you so the cameras straight tho.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2013, 19:25 
Vice President

Yeah ill try both, if its too hot then ill do the snorkel method. Won't matter too much.

I'm so keen to get in the water, I really want to test out the go pro and the medium setting etc!