It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:03

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2006, 10:22 
Fanatical Senior Member

Brand new comp.
Heres the details

Heres the rules

This is a new competition that will be held by the Southern Freedivers from December 2006 to March 2007.

It seems that more and more divers are investing in cameras and underwater housings to remember that unique moment or prized species. Many spearfishermen and freedivers are becoming proficient and skilled photographers of the marine environment and the creature which it contains. This clearly reflects the changing values and attitudes of our diving and spearfishing community and provides a balanced standpoint between hunting, and our appreciation and respect for the coastal waters.

What the competition involves:
Competitors will have the freedom to take photos in their own time and in any Victorian coastal waters. Competitors have the liberty to photograph Victorian species specified on the score sheet. Eligible species and scores are based on the current Victorian Spearfishing competition with a few extra species. Species added to the list are: sharks (all species), whales, dolphins, seals, crayfish, cuttlefish and syngnathids (seahorses etc.).

Photos:
Every month two photos can be submitted per person, so pick your best.
Scoring is similar to the Victorian Spearfishing Challenge. Each month, photos will be ranked by the judges, the best photo receiving maximum points, while the worst photo will receive the least points. A running tally will be kept, and at the end of the competition an over all winner will be awarded. Judging criteria will take into consideration species photographed, lighting, contrast and artist component.
Also a Victorian photo of the year will be presented a prize. This photo will be the people’s choice and be separate to the overall tally winner.
All entries should be submitted to koops@netspace.net.au

-
Rules:
1) all photos are to be taken in Victorian waters.
2) all photos are to be taken freediving on a single breath.
3) participants must be members of Southern Freedivers and the Australian Underwater Federation

Prizes:
This is still being discussed, but there are some interested sponsors considering the event.

Note:
The purpose of this competition is to develop diver’s abilities with a camera, to learn lighting, contrast and artist component. This should not be taken overly serious and just as a bit of fun that will provide a new angle to our diving experience. Species that can be observed from 5m away may not make a productive photo so this will increase diver discipline and test ability for those that are seeking that perfect shot. Good luck to all and hopefully we will have some great photos present this season.

Species list will be posted in next couple of days. Get snapping!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2006, 22:03 
Fanatical Senior Member

the species list can still be adjusted,

the list that we have come up with is the marine life we have encounter in victorian waters, if there are any additions people would like to make please post them up and we will incorporate as many as are appropriate.

VICTORIAN FREEDIVING PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITION
SPECIES LIST
all victorian fish species both pelagic and demersal ,
rock lobsters,
whales,
dolphins (cetacean),
sharks,
rays,
seals,
penguins,
conger eels,
nudibranchs,
squid/cuttlefish/octopus (cephalopod)
seadragons/seahorses (syngnathids)

note: to be eligible for the december tally please submit your 2 photos to matt koopman before new years day.

happy snapping!!!

Last edited by Badger on 28 Dec 2006, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2006, 09:55 
Fanatical Senior Member

Get clicking. Already had submissions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007, 15:17 
Fanatical Senior Member

just a reminder for Jan submissions to be emailed to matt before the end of the month,

Blue Water Hunting International has kindly donated an exciting DVD as a monthly prize for the best photo in Dec-Jan-Feb-Mar, so if you enjoy breathtaking spearfishing footage submit a photo or two and you may be rewarded.

the western district comp may be the last opportunity for some fascinating marine photography.

cant wait to see peoples shots.

happy snapping

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007, 16:38 
Fanatical Senior Member

Another remineder to get your photos in for January!!! December and Jan photos of the month will be announced in the next 2 weeks.
Happy snapping!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2007, 17:02 
Fanatical Senior Member

OK, finally getting organised!

Judges have agreed on a photo of the month for December and January. Each monthly winner will receive a DVD courtesy of Rob Torelli at Blue Water Hunting International.

And the winners are...................

For December..........

Odie, with this great shot of a flathead. Looks like its about ready to scoot!

January went to Jack with his queen mowie photo. Wish you didn't have to dive to 15m to see these around here.

A notable mention goes to Rob Torelli for this shot of a swell shark with a hook in it's mouth. Rob pulled out of the comp to help with judging.

Keep the entries coming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2007, 17:45 
Fanatical Senior Member

there has been some great photos submitted, hope that south can post up everyones contributions.

there's only 2 weeks left for the photo comp and plenty of things to take photos of, so if you like photography give it a go.

hope to see some awesome pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 May 2007, 21:23 
Fanatical Senior Member

OK, all photos are in, scores have been tallied.

All I can give you at the moment though is winners fro Feb and March. Will also post all photos enter. I have got to say I am farking impressed with some of these. Let us know what you think?

Winner of Feb.......................................
Jake with this great photo of a shrimp. And he sent this in already heavily reduced file size. The original must be orsm!

March was won by Jack. The thing I love about this pic, apart from all the bloody snapper is the one turning its head towards the camera. The head of that fish is in clear focus and the flash reflecting nicely off it forehead, while all the others are just out.

Here the rest of the pics.....................

Jack
Frank
Jake
Odie

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 May 2007, 19:56 
Fanatical Senior Member

Awesome. Some really impressive shots. I especially like Jake's one. I saw one of those shrimp today. Never seen one exactly like that before. Jack's photos are really cool too. Snapper shot is magic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 May 2007, 11:10 
Forum Member

yer i agreee thoes photos are very impressive where abouts where they taken?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 May 2007, 11:17 
Fanatical Senior Member

most of my pics were taken in PPB, with the remainer being shot at cape schank and mornington peninsula, the seal was very very persistent which gave a me a great opportunity to take some photos and film.

there really are some fantastic pics here, jakes shrimp is very nice, i attempted to photo them as well and could get a shot nearly as good as that one.

franky d has clean water in all his shots, where are you diving? :wink:

Post subject: Photo comp
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2007, 18:54 
Fanatical Senior Member

When's this comp start back up? Just got myself a camera and keen to submit some pics.

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2007, 17:03 
Fanatical Senior Member

rhino,

the comp will start up again as we head into summer(thank God winter is almost over :?)

the details are still being adjusted but tentatively it will run for 4-6months over the warmer period, sponsership will depend greatly on how many people will be participating.

i will post more details as they are finalized.

last year was a bit of an experimental run, hopefully this year as a club we can produce some great pics.

thanks for your interest in the comp and cant wait to see some of your freediving photos. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 18:45 
Fanatical Senior Member

hey all,

i would like to get some opinions on the running the photography comp this season, mainly on which months to run it in? how many photos per month? and any other changes to the rules that you believe should be incorporated.

firstly, we are planning to run it as a state comp again this season and see whether we can get some bigger numbers.

last season the comp was only open to southern freedivers and auf members, how would you guys feel if it was open to everyone, anyone with a camera and snorkel in victoria could enter, kids, adults, everyone? if we take this angle then perhaps the numbers will increase and some larger prizes could be on offer.

how do you guys like the december to march format? too long? too short? just right?

where would you guys like to see the photos displayed? internet? forum? seperate website? printed out in a club album? at a dive shop? a combination of couple of them???

i am really looking forward to seeing some great photos come through this coming season, and hope the comp grows into an expression of freediving and spearfishing that can be accepted and even celebrated by all (even those that have a misunderstanding what we are truely about).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2007, 15:00 
Fanatical Senior Member

Definately no scoobie pics!
Photoshopped and unphotoshopped sections so people can't just make crap photos look awesome.
Photos with and without spearos in them sections.
Having it as just club members may give people more incentive to join up but more pics would be good.
Oct - Mar?
Could organise a comp day just like the club comps but for photos. Best pic for the day etc? Everyone can submit their best 3 pics for the day? Or maybe a species list with points?
I'd like to see it run all year as it gives you something to do when there are no fish about. Maybe the prizes for Dec-Mar then cheapo medals or something for the rest? It's not so much about the prizes, just the recognition for your effort.
Let me know if you need any help with it!
Ryan

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!