It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:59

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 22:50 
Novice Member

Hi all hope you like the pics and before anyone replies I know drummer isn't the best eating fish but I had never seen one that big and when I took it to the local fishing shop they called a meeting to Id and weigh it and only 2 old timers had seen one that size, then I feed it to 5 caravans worth of happy campers back at the park and I ate the kingies :lol: yum I love Coffs Harbour had kingies for tea twice a week :mrgreen: also a glimps of the awesome Brett special - awsome gun mate thanks again

Attachments:
tmpphpGlHSoX.jpg
tmpphpGlHSoX.jpg [ 294 KiB | Viewed 7013 times ]
ctmpphpqDTZYe.jpg
ctmpphpqDTZYe.jpg [ 76.58 KiB | Viewed 7012 times ]
tmpphpyAVZTj.jpg
tmpphpyAVZTj.jpg [ 144.7 KiB | Viewed 7012 times ]

Last edited by masseychase on 12 Feb 2010, 22:56, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 22:52 
Novice Member

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark lol thats a decent drummer hehe nice bro

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 23:00 
Novice Member

I was in my tinnie and the sounder went black so over I went and there was a huge school of Drummer never seen anything like it, vis was down to about 3m but he didnt look like the biggest one I saw but they recon they only get to 9kgs so couldn't have been much bigger :P

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 23:18 
Fanatical Senior Member

Cracker drummer, nice work. Reckon I seen one close to that from afar in Bitangabee, couldn't get anywhere near him. Black Drummer actually taste pretty good, Dunno about one that size though.

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 17:27 
Forum Member

Its a Silver Drummer, Kyphosus sydneyanus. Max size about 13-14kg depending on how much it ate.

And what size is that gun? A 1.4?

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 18:40 
Novice Member

I'll take your word for it Shadow, The local fishos at Coffs said it was a Black Drummer but I wasn't sure.
As for the gun its 1400 railgun and the shaft is 1650 and nice an fast.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 18:58 
Novice Member

Common Name: Black Drummer
Attachment:
File comment: Black Drummer
blackdrummer.jpg
blackdrummer.jpg [ 13.99 KiB | Viewed 6805 times ]

Species Name: Girella elevata
Description
The Black Drummer is also known as Eastern Rock Blackfish, Blackfish, and Pig. The overall colour of the Black Drummer is a uniform black to dark grey above the lateral line becoming greyer down the flanks to a dark off white or brownish belly area. Other distinctive features of the Black Drummer is a small head and mouth in relation to a strong deep body and broad tail capable of great bursts of power and speed making the Black Drummer a much sort after adversary in their rocky haunts. Black Drummer can grow to 9kg however more commonly taken up to 3kg.

Distribution
Black Drummer inhabit the rocky shorelines along Southern Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria Eastern and North Eastern Tasmania coastlines.

Kyphosus sydneyanus (Günther, 1886)
Silver drummer Catalog of Fishes (gen., sp.) | ITIS | CoL
Classification Actinopterygii | Perciformes | Kyphosidae | Kyphosinae
Synonyms Pimelepterus sydneyanus, Pimelepterus meridionalis, Segutilum klunzingeri, ... more
Attachment:
tn_Kysyd_u0.jpg
tn_Kysyd_u0.jpg [ 7.12 KiB | Viewed 6805 times ]

Picture by Randall, J.E.

Main reference

Francis, M.P. 1993. (Ref. 8879)
Other references | Biblio | Coordinator | Collaborators

Size / Weight / Age

Max length : 80.0 cm TL male/unsexed; (Ref. 33839); max. published weight: 1,130 g (Ref. 40637)

Environment - Demersal; brackish; marine

Climate / Range - Temperate

Distribution
Southwest Pacific: Australia (including Lord Howe Island), Norfolk Island, and New Zealand.

pretty sure its BLACK AND BIG..... 8) Rather be max for species than middle so must be BLACK :lol:

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 19:43 
Fanatical Senior Member

Your fish is a silver. No ifs buts or maybes. I've heard some people think they are edible.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 08:17 
Forum Member

masseychase wrote:
pretty sure its BLACK AND BIG..... 8) Rather be max for species than middle so must be BLACK :lol:

No. For a start Randall's photo is of a juvenile, not a large adult. And secondly the max published weight means very little for a lot of species. It refers to weights published in studies, rather than angling records.

Lino's very rarely get to see Silver Drummer as they don't usually take a hook. Mind you, the average lino has trouble telling the difference between a marlin and a tree. :twisted:

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 08:33 
Novice Member

dang I thought I was special for a minute hehe :lol: so back to the drawing board :roll: not that I would shoot one that big again was not good eating, not to me anyway. But thanks Shadow I would rather be correct

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 13:04 
Forum Member

Still a good fish though Massey - they get really big in NZ around the top of the North Island too, I've seen a coupoel there that would have to be pushing 10kgs maybe more, but man are they hard to kill with the skull plate that seems to be better armoured than most tanks