It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:43

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 20:01 
Novice Member

Hey Guys,

I am looking at getting a Go Pro camera sometime soon to mount to the speargun the same way that has been mentioned here before. I have seen there are a few packs and by the look of the mount you don't need any specific additions from those packs to mount it, However i was wondering if any of those packs such as the motorsports/surf/helmet have any suction cups or mounts that will help in any way.
Also do i need that eye of mine housing or whatever it is called to get decent underwater footage or is it ok in its normal housing?

Anyone got any tips and tricks when mounting or using them?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 21:49 
Expert Member (SFD)

Not sure how you are mounting it to your gun, but I'd advise against any fixed type mounts.
I bought the Motorsports Hero HD package, But should of just got the "Naked" version, as I've never used any of the fittings that came with the motorsports kit.
This is the type of camera mount that I use & it enables me to quickly take on/off the whole kit, place it anywhere along a standard 28mm gun pipe and easily change the way the camera sits.
I also added a "goforfocus" lens, http://www.aquapixs.com/aquapixs/technology.html They now have a glass version as well as the plastic & I believe they do make quite an improvement for UW footage. Not for land footage though.
Aslo needed was the tripod mount, eBay, $12.

I always film in 720p, 60fps. Great for editing and making slow motions etc. You will need a good quality (minimum class 4) 16gb or 32gb SD Card. Sony Vegas is awesome for editing.

Cheers,
Tyson

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 10:24 
Novice Member

Thanks for the reply Tyson,

Did you make that mount yourself or buy it somewhere? I am using a 1m picasso Asegai so will it fit this fine?
What did you need the tripod mount for?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 18:37 
Expert Member (SFD)

Kallum wrote:
Thanks for the reply Tyson,

Did you make that mount yourself or buy it somewhere? I am using a 1m picasso Asegai so will it fit this fine?
What did you need the tripod mount for?

Na didn't make this one, although Ash and myself were in the process of making them but we had problems with the Delrin plastic. We'll look at it again some time. I was lucky enough to get this bracket from a fella in the US who makes them (not any more though) & it cost me $50. Sounds pricey but it's shit hot and will last for ever. Mako Spearguns make basically the same thing here http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mscbr.htm & I'd go buy one of them if I didn't have this bracket. Looking at these brackets the "standard rail gun\ pipe gun" is what you would want for the Asegai. The Tripod adaptor is a fitting for the Gopro that lets you add screw in mounts to the base, in this case its the screw on the bracket that holds the Camera.
If your after local shop for the gopro lens, Jetty dive sells them here http://www.jettydive.com.au/products/49-Underwater-Photography/502-GoForFocus-Plastic-Lens-for-Go-Pro-Hero-Camera/ Not sure if its any better/cheaper then buying it direct from the makers site though.

Oh btw before you go buy anything send Gopro and email about the new housing they are making with fixed focus, it might not be to far away and prob' worth waiting for..
cheers,
Tyson

Correct answers $4.00

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 20:59 
Novice Member

Sweet, will definitely get one of the mounts. Seems much easier then using a fixed mount to the gun, this way nothing gets ruined and it says you can take it off the mount in under 5 seconds.
Does the lens issue really matter? If i plan on waiting for gopro to release a housing i want to know if the quality of video i will be recording in the mean time is any good?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2011, 00:04 
Expert Member (SFD)

What about the plain old head strap? Pros? Cons?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2011, 00:59 
Expert Member (SFD)

superstevo wrote:
What about the plain old head strap? Pros? Cons?

Pro - much more interesting footage. Gun cam has its moments but you see more than a 2 second flash of fish with a head cam. Con - can be a right pain. If you've got a small streamlined cam and a good fitting mask you can slide it onto your mask strap, easiest way if you can get away with it.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2011, 17:30 
Expert Member (SFD)

Kallum wrote:
Sweet, will definitely get one of the mounts. Seems much easier then using a fixed mount to the gun, this way nothing gets ruined and it says you can take it off the mount in under 5 seconds.
Does the lens issue really matter? If i plan on waiting for gopro to release a housing i want to know if the quality of video i will be recording in the mean time is any good?

Na you can get away with it, its still good footage -but no brilliant. You really notice the difference when filming in clear, brightly light areas. Search YT for comparisons of with and without the lens. Avoid Head mounts, you end up with heaps of un-necessary footage and it's usually very shakey from moving your head around all over the place. Makes me sick just watching it, look on YT and you will see what I mean.

Correct answers $4.00

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011, 21:11 
Novice Member

Hey guys,

I got around to emailing the guys at mako spearfishing about the postage rate for the mount, they want to charge $38. Its not TOO bad but obviously its a bit expensive. It will end up being close to $100 for the lot. Is there anywhere local that i can get anything similar? If not i guess i will have to get it from this mob.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011, 21:45 
Expert Member (SFD)

Bit pricey ey! They have one on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250871534181#ht_1795wt_1270
Might no end up being any cheaper.
otherwise DIY mate, could prob make a decent one for 100$?

Correct answers $4.00

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011, 22:04 
Novice Member

I was thinking about going ahead with the mount to the front muzzle with the sica flex like in that video someone posted a while ago. But i liked the fact you could take the camera off quite quickly to film a buddy without aiming a gun at him.
Hmm, i guess i will have to decide i might end up sucking it up and buying it because its safer, faster and not permanently attached.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2011, 13:39 
Expert Member (SFD)

Kallum wrote:
I was thinking about going ahead with the mount to the front muzzle with the sica flex like in that video someone posted a while ago. But i liked the fact you could take the camera off quite quickly to film a buddy without aiming a gun at him.
Hmm, i guess i will have to decide i might end up sucking it up and buying it because its safer, faster and not permanently attached.

I also liked the virsitilty of the mount, as It allows you to use your camera for many different angles and uses, so I think I too will fork out the cash and get one too.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2011, 11:13 
Novice Member

I made my own mount out of aluminium and fixed it on the side of the trigger mech. I used one of the standard stick on base clips onto the aluminium. I can remove it any time via the meck screws. I have identical mounts on a 900 and 1200. I used a piece of angle aluminium and modified it to fit.

The only hassle with the mount at the trigger meck is that the fish-eye lens makes it hard to see the fish out the front of the gun sometimes. It is great for getting the gun shot pictures.

I also run a head mount Contour GPS camera for extra vision.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2011, 01:11 
Novice Member

Sawshelled wrote:
I made my own mount out of aluminium and fixed it on the side of the trigger mech. I used one of the standard stick on base clips onto the aluminium. I can remove it any time via the meck screws. I have identical mounts on a 900 and 1200. I used a piece of angle aluminium and modified it to fit.

The only hassle with the mount at the trigger meck is that the fish-eye lens makes it hard to see the fish out the front of the gun sometimes. It is great for getting the gun shot pictures.

I also run a head mount Contour GPS camera for extra vision.
how do you like the contour mate,no dramas with it? i just purchased one two weeks ago and allthough i havent had it underwater yet,very impressed with the on land footage ive taken.ta wolfy

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2011, 20:42 
Novice Member

Tested out the gopro today. I did order that mount from the guys at mako spearfishing close to four weeks ago it was posted a bit over three weeks ago and is still yet to arrive. It was stuck in Chicago for AGES! But i saw today from the tracking it had finally cleared customs so it should be here this week. I must admit though the guy (Brad) from mako spearfishing is always willing to help with my emails. Good customer service just that the postage was out of his hands.

I used the camera today with the head strap and the results were pretty ordinary because of two reasons. One was the positioning of the head strap, it was a bit too high, i thought i had it pointed down at a good angle but i don't think it matters what angle it has it will turn out the same. All of my footage from swimming along the surface was ruined from the swell. Hopefully it will all be good with the gun mount.

The other reason was the lens, as most people know its a curved lens and it is fantastic out of the water but is a bit blurry under the water. So i think my next purchase is a flat lens for it.

It was still good to catch one of my shots on camera (i missed the other, camera was above the water).

Will be hopefully testing out the gun mount soon in the next few weeks once it finally gets here. I will post some pics of it when i get it.