It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:14

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Canon Powershot G9
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 18:07 
Fanatical Senior Member

I bought a Canon Powershot G9 off eBay the other day and it arrived on Friday evening at my house. Now I just need the housing for it, which costs half the price of the bloody camera. I managed to get it for $435 with postage and a two year warranty so I was stoked with that. I was hoping that someone with a bit of knowledge on camera work could possibly show me the ropes sometime. Either on a trip somewhere up in the mountains or a bit of a session somewhere around Melbourne.

Also, if anyone has any advice on ISO, shutter speeds etc. and how to use them most effectively please let me know. I followed your advice and got the Powershot Badger but could not be bothered waiting to see a good price on a second hand one so I just bought it. It would be great if you could share some knowledge of the camera for me. Cheers.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 20:44 
Fanatical Senior Member

i would be happy to tee up a meeting and go through the options i mainly use.

i have to be honest though, i rarely take it out of auto, unless i am attempt macro or shoting fast moving subjects.

canon are a great piece of technology, and i would be very surprized if you could fault them.

however taking good-clear photos is all a numbers game and practice. no matter how good your equipment is, the photo depends on a number of variables, which includes how the diver approaches the subject. as a top underwater photographer once told me...water is your enemy! get close, then get closer! (not so easy when holding your breath)

ps- ISO is shutter speed on digital cameras, the faster the shutter the more light you need. otherwise you will get grains in your pics.

pss- hope to see some of your pics in the vic freediving photography comp. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 09:45 
Fanatical Senior Member

Cheers Badger. So far I have just used the Auto Mode mainly as well. I have put it on P mode and had a fiddle around a little though which was great fun. The quality of the photos is fantastic, and I love manual focus. Especially for close photos of things that you want blue in the background for. Thanks again.

Post subject: Re: Canon Powershot G9
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2008, 14:11 
Fanatical Senior Member

hey tom,

not sure if your aware of the two different housings available for the g9. the canon version which is cheaper, does not support wide angle lens, either wet or dry. the ikelite housing does, but costs more. i unfortunately brought the canon housing and now regret not being able to add a wide angle option, bugger!

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2008, 09:24 
Fanatical Senior Member

Thanks Badger. I haven't got around to buying the housing yet mate, so thanks a lot for the heads up. Is it worth paying the extra for those options? Cheers.

Tom

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 15:37 
Forum Member

Get the ikelite housing.

Canon housings are pieces of shit. Mine flooded via the shutter button, and two friends have had theirs leak (G7 and G9's). The main seal on mine wouldn't even stand up to being washed in the shower, the water managed to find a way in..

I was so underimpressed with the housing its not funny, not to mention it cost me a camera thats was just one month out of warranty.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 15:40 
Fanatical Senior Member

Ok Mate. I still havent gone and gotten the housing yet so I will get the Ikelite. Cheers mate.