It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 15:01

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 14:26 
Fanatical Senior Member

Marine sanctuary mooted

By Nicole PrecelShare |

(Star Newspaper)
22nd June 2010 11:07:01 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Altona resident Helen Curmi has lived in the area for 12 years and has four children.

“What I have witnessed for many years now is lots of people sitting on the rock pools and feeding themselves with the shellfish there,” she said.

She said it would be great to protect marine habitats. “It’s a really wonderful place to go rock pooling, lots of people going out snorkelling,” she said.

Councillor Tony Briffa is calling for an investigation into marine habitats and species between Bayview St in Altona and the Altona Yacht Club.

Information would be obtained through the Association of Bayside Municipalities and the Victorian Coastal Council regarding natural features, cultural heritage and aesthetic value of those waters.

“Protecting our environment is important,” he said.

He said at this stage he was only seeking information, but if it was found to have significant marine life and habitat in the area, the State Government should protect it.

“This will mean people can still enjoy swimming, sailing and kayaking in the area, but fishing would be prohibited,” he said.

Senior Fisheries officer Scott Falconer said the Altona area was a popular place for snorkelling and exploring. Departmental Fisheries officers conduct regular patrols of the area to monitor activity.and have developed educational material to help people understand the fishing rules and the importance of the Inter Tidal Zone.

However, Cr Angela Altair said while she was enthusiastic about the study, she didn’t hold much hope of a marine sanctuary.

“It’s a fairly popular fishing spot,” she said.

“If people are found to be breaching the Fisheries rules for ITZ (Inter Tidal Zone), then they could face court prosecution or be issued with an infringement notice,” he said.

I think the originator of this issue Ms Helen Curmi is the one that needs to be educated.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 15:53 
Fanatical Senior Member

What shellfish? Pippies? Mussels? Crab? Crayfish? Scallop? Prawns? Abs? 'Cause if they are getting fed on that stuff there, I am heading out this afternoon! Genius!

Seems like nobody knows much about what they are discussing.

... what has this 'issue' go to do with fishing? My goodness ... so much confusion! :roll:

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 16:08 
Fanatical Senior Member

luckily marine parks in Vic aren't decided by nutjob residents and councilors.
Here is Tony Briffa's mobile number if you feel the need to discuss it with him. 0428 549 642 and his Email address tbriffa@hobsonsbay.vic.gov.au

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 11:47 
Fanatical Senior Member

nigz wrote:
12 years and has four children

People have lived in this area for a long, long time, and children (grommets) on hot days
nigz wrote:
lots of people going out snorkelling,

To shoot fish. duskies, flat head LJ's what ever. there is the Jaw Bone marine park in Willy/Altona.

Unfortunately some families come down and eat urchins, perry winkles and take more than their bag of Ab's.
Personaly i wouldn't touch and resident fish up the top end of the bay, probably full of heavy metals and rubish.

nigz wrote:
lots of people sitting on the rock pools and feeding themselves with the shellfish there

These people are not spieros, they come down in shorts, t'shirt some speedo swimming goggles no fins, no snorkel and rape the area.

nigz wrote:
However, Cr Angela Altair said while she was enthusiastic about the study, she didn’t hold much hope of a marine sanctuary.
“It’s a fairly popular fishing spot,” she said.

I have worked with Angela in the past for the Newport Skate park. she is also a close family friend,
This is important they don't impose more marine parks.
Thanks for sharing nigs
ozdog
Williamstown LOcalz

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 11:52 
Fanatical Senior Member

ps
sorry to rant and rave but this shits me.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 11:56 
Fanatical Senior Member

eeew: sea-urchin, perrywinkles, black abs. Are you sure people come in droves to eat these?

If they do, the answer is simple: more fisheries patrols in the area.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 12:35 
Fanatical Senior Member

I spoke with Tony today. Seems like a good guy and was happy to talk, and will keep me informed of what is happening. He is also consulting with the Kayak anglers that use that area regularly. They are conducting a study of existing information on the "natural features, cultural heritage and aesthetic value of those water". If you dive this area,it would be a good idea to email Tony and let him know what it means to you. It would also be a good idea to let the Victorian Coastal Council know about it. Be friendly, the Marine Park bit of the article is a bit of a media beat up at this stage.
Greg put Tony's email in his post, here are the contact details of the VCC.

Mr David Harper
Executive Officer
Victorian Coastal Council
PO Box 500, East Melbourne 3002
Telephone: (+61) 03 9637 9456
Fax: (+61) 03 9637 8592
Email: enquiries@vcc.vic.gov.au

I think it is important to stress the difference between what you do and what the intertidal pickers do.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 10:34 
Fanatical Senior Member

Corresponded with Tony Briffa via email:

Dear Nghia Vu,

Thank you for your email. The article in the paper was somewhat misleading as the council is not proposing a study. We’re merely trying to obtain information about the marine habitat and species, among other things, in the area from the Association of Bayside Municipalities and the Victorian Coastal Council. The exact wording motion was:

9.1 NOTICE OF MOTION NO. 738 – REQUEST FOR MARINE INFORMATION

Motion: Moved Cr Tony Briffa, seconded Cr Angela Altair

“that the Council requests any and all information held by the Association of Bayside Municipalities and the Victorian Coastal Council regarding marine habitats and species, natural features, cultural heritage and aesthetic value of the waters between Bayview Street, Altona and the Altona Yacht Club. Further, that the Council Officers prepare and present a detailed report to the Council on the information obtained.“
CARRIED

You will note that Marine Sanctuary was not mentioned at all.

We will see what comes back from the report, but we need to make sure our significant marine life and habitat are protected. Ideally Fisheries will do this by enforcing the current laws and educating people about their responsibilities, but it doesn’t look like that’s happening.

Kind regards,

Tony

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 11:21 
Fanatical Senior Member

there you go.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 12:14 
Fanatical Senior Member

The letter I sent.

Dear Councilor, It has been recently brought to my attention that the Hobsons Bay Council is starting to show an interest in better protection of the reef between Bayview St. and Millers Rd. This is something that must be applauded as the intertidal zone here is under threat and better policing of the current laws is required. The reef here is highly productive and if current laws are enforced along with habitat protection people from Altona and the rest of Melbourne will be able to go there and collect or catch some amazing fresh seafood for generations to come.
I have been spearfishing in this area on and off now for nearly 30 years and must say that the sealife has increased dramatically over the last ten years after the finishing of scallop dredging. Now when I go out there in the warmer months I no that I will come across numerous species of fish, both those that are fun to watch and those that are good to eat. There is a huge number of abalone out there, in some areas there would be up to 20 legal size abalone per square metre as well as angasi oysters and numerous species of marine snail.

It is an area where many spearfishermen have been introduced to the sport and offers good safe, shallow water for the beginner to learn in as well as some deeper water further out that is more challenging. Over the years I have caught many good fish out of this area and hope to be still doing so well into my retirement.

If you or any of the councilors would like a guided tour of the reef out there this summer I would be more than happy to show you around and introduce you to a few of my "pet" fish or shoot you a snapper for dinner. I have more than enough snorkelling equipment for a number of people as well as the local knowledge to be able to show you where the fish are.

If you would like a list of species I have encountered out there in either scientific or common names don't hesitate to ask. I even have photos of a few of them.
Yours sincerely Greg Follett.