It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:36

All times are UTC+11:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
 Post subject: Re: Blue Groper
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2011, 18:09 
Fanatical Senior Member

Gregs a greenie, "Grab your torches and Pitchforks!"

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 09:09 
Expert Member (SFD)

Hi all,

I received an email via the DPI and i found this link below:

http://new.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/con ... lue-groper

The 6th of April is the shut off date for written submission against the consultation for the protection of the blue groper.
The Department of Primary Industries (DPI) Customer Service Centre on 136 186.

It amazes me how quick the department can get on to something all because of a simple witted author that is a nerd and has only experienced underwater at his usual bathtime with his mother can create such a nonsense outcome.

How good would it be it we could actually get something in the paper about spearo's safety in the water against idiots squiding or perhaps actually listening to the likes of South or Torelli when they speak. It is an absolute joke but hey, when has the government been on the ball about something that doesn't create financial benefit to themselves. I guess this is what happens when you sleep with the Greens Labor!

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 10:05 
Fanatical Senior Member

Thanks for the link Cell. I only realised how close this was to getting through when I heard Brett on the radio. This has to be fought by all of us. If they get this through watch more species get protected, I have a fear that this could be the start and they won't stop with blues.

Why are the bubblies considered stakeholders. I'd guess 95% of them wouldn't know a blue groper if it was shoved up their arse sideways intil it had its tail dangling before their eyes. Much less would be able to id them in the water.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 17:55 
Expert Member (SFD)

If they are aiming for outright protection of the Western B'G', are we better to aim for a compromise such as min and max size and bag limit of one fish for Vic waters? They aren't exactly a common targeted fish for any Spearo I know, but the option to take one every now and then should still be there...

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 18:45 
Fanatical Senior Member

No we should not compromise- there is no reason. with the current bag limit of 5 they say the population is increasing so they want to reduce the bag limit to zero to protect them. That kind of reasoning defies logic.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 21:39 
Expert Member (SFD)

Best post you have ever posted greg. They don't require protecting so we won't be bargaining.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 20:38 
Fanatical Senior Member

Just as a matter of interest for those who may be interested. ( particularly those gullible enough to believe the drivel printed in the Age)
It has been suggested that spearfishermen nearly wiped out Blue Groper throughout the 1960's. Barry Andrewartha was the weighmaster in this state for what is now the Victorian arm of theA.U.F. for the full duration of this period. This is a time when there were many Spearing Clubs involved in competition in thius State. This is a time in which far, far more competitors were involved than is the case today. Barry says that, in his tenure, NOT one Blue Groper was presented to a weigh in during a Spearfishing Competition. He can back up these claims with the complete records of said competitions throughout this era.
Were we responsible for the supposed eradication of the specie? Was the specie ever under threat at all? The facts seem to suggest.........NOT.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 21:04 
Fanatical Senior Member

oh ... good on Barry for keeping the record sheets
this is the historical data the authorities should base their cases on rather than the "anedoctal" recounts

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 21:23 
Expert Member (SFD)

We have records from 1972 onwards as well. They are now sitting in my study and they paint a different picture to what fisheries are saying.

Breathing is Overrated

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 22:20 
Expert Member (SFD)

further to bretts post - Barry Andrewartha and his mates were basically the pioneers of victorian spearfishing. In his detailed book from the late 60's / 70's 'Spearfishing in Victoria', there is no mention whatsoever of spearing blue groper throughout victoria. bazza and the boys knew damn well what blue groper were too - in the same book there is a chapter on spearing in southern NSW, here he talks about taking groper and includes pics.

Fisheries Victoria's case is overwhelmingly flawed.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2011, 11:02 
Novice Member

As far as I can find, the only published report of its decline due to spearfishing was in South Australia.
The paper was Johnson J, 1982. Blue groper - Situation Report. SAFIC Magazine 6 (February), pp. 26-28.

I can’t find a proper copy of this. One here, but it’s a bit stuffed.
Johnson – Blue Groper
A few articles use this report to blame their decline on spearfishing. Nothing about Victoria though.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2011, 13:43 
Fanatical Senior Member

It probably won't carry much weight but this is what I'm sending in.

I write to you to add my voice to those who are opposed to the current proposal to ban the taking of both western and eastern blue groper in Victoria.

While I don't normally target blue groper as I figure they are like most other wrasse and at the lower end of my edibility scale and as a reasonable diver it is easy to get fish that I consider better eating. My big concern is which is the next fish to be put on the banned list at the whim of the V.N.P.A. or some other extreme environmental group.

The reasons for the banning of the taking of blue groper are totally false. I have over 30 years of spearfishing and SCUBA experience and I have seen no change in the population of Western blue groper in that time. I first came across them spearing in competitions back in the 80's and my father who was one of the pioneers of this sport in Victoria recalls seeing them back in the 1960's. The argument that the big one were all speared back in the 60's is a total lie. as far as I am aware no big western blue has even been seen in Victoria, let alone caught.

The occasional large eastern blue is seen around Gabo Island and Mallacouta This population is under no threat because larval drift from N.S.W. provides continual recruitment and these are waters very few divers frequent due to there distance from population centres. Smaller easterns are occasionally seen as far east as the Prom but they are rarely taken due to the large numbers of tastier fish that reside there.

I also note that the V.N.P.A. says that they are only recently recorded in Port Phillip Bay I have seen numerous western blue groper in PPB, mostly in the southern end around Lonsdale Bight and Queenscliff but as far up the bay as Portarlington. just about every body I know who has dived these waters has also seen them and not just recently.

In your background info it is stated that anecdotal evidence suggests numbers are increasing. If this is the case then surely the current minimum size limit and catch limit are working and no further action is required. If as I believe the population is stable, then also no action is required .

thank you for your time, Greg **********

Any suggestions welcome.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2011, 18:30 
Expert Member (SFD)

http://www.diveoz.com.au/discussion_forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24960&whichpage=1
Here's some amusing reading on the Vic B'G from bubble blowers perspective.

Is this ban suppose to be permanent Or 1 year temporary until more data is gained about them?

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2011, 19:49 
Expert Member (SFD)

it realy pisses me off that these dick heads on diveOz brand ALL spearos as murderers pretty much! they realy are a bunch of one eyed rednecks! I know that i personaly have had chances to spear big groper in WA a couple of years back but i didnt!my choice and i never will spear a big one! Where are these dickheads when it comes to the Northern pacific starfish on PPB? these little buggers are running riot on the shell fish in our bay yet these clowns want to bag us for not wanting to be bent over by the greenies AGAIN! One clown see's a groper and within a month the powers that be want to ban the taking of them, and we all know that once they ban them we aint getting them back! good luck with your study one them, you dicks have seen ONE in 40 years apparently,good luck finding him or her again! Better hope us dick head spearos dont find it first!

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2011, 08:33 
Fanatical Senior Member

it should be pointed out that in Victoria scuba divers can use a speargun, take crays, scallops and so on?
That is unreasonable in my view and freediving spearos should not be pointed the finger at

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next