It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:42

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Blue Groper
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 14:21 
Fanatical Senior Member

I'll explain more in the next couple of days, but Fisheries Victoria are looking at banning the spearing of Blue Grouper in Victoria.
I need your help!
I'm urgently after specimens of Blue Grouper from Victoria, west of Wilsons Prom. Ideally I'd like fish from between the Prom and Phillip Island, between the Island and the Heads, Port Phillip Bay, between the Heads and Cape Otway, and west of Cape Otway. If you get one, please record where and when, and take some photos that include the whole fish, and then some close ups of the scales below the dorsal fin - need to be able to count the number of scales between the lateral line and the and the dorsal fin. Then freeze the fish whole and contact me.

If I can get a couple this weekend, that would be great!

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Blue Groper
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 14:54 
Fanatical Senior Member

And this is the bullshit that started it all!

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/animals/hey-true-blue-hopes-rise-a-gentle-giants-back-from-the-abyss-20110306-1bjk7.html

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 15:30 
Fanatical Senior Member

''We have no specimen records in the collection that the western blue groper actually gets here …

matt if you want us to target some just let me know i can organize some ppl from the club/friends to get some. the swell is your main issue this weekend. whats your time frame? i see where you are going with this but a little more would be good mate!

i have had SCUBA divers talk to me about this. what do we need to do?

the min length is what 26cm? whats the bag limit ?????

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 15:36 
Fanatical Senior Member

I don't mind going for a drive to find some, wouldn't know where to look though (have seen them in SA but not VIC). Let me know if you need any help searching spots on my side of the bay.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 15:48 
Expert Member (SFD)

Seen juveniles a couple times now, cape Otway, around Barwon bluff and Pt lonnie. Don't think ill take one home again, just tasted similar to blue-throat , but with much better texture.

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 15:55 
Fanatical Senior Member

That article is total bullshit. It is proof, yet again, that people who are supposed to be in the know, are totally ignorant of the facts. The VNPA has it's own agenda and it is obvious from this item that they have done no research at all and have no clue. The unfortunate fact is that this article (read piece of fiction) has been printed in a medium which tends not to check its sources, and read by the gullible multitudes who will undoubtedly see this drivel as gospel.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 16:52 
Fanatical Senior Member

Oz, I would like samples to properly identify the species we get. Will get them to the museum for confirmation.
Would really like at least 1 sample before Friday week...
Minimum length is as for wrasse, 23cm.

Oz, I'd also like someone to start entering data from those old comp sheets you have at your feet.
Location, date, number and weight would be gold. Trying to get in contact with Paul, but he it not answering.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 16:54 
Fanatical Senior Member

Quote:
Seen juveniles

If they are the juveniles, where are the adults? You'd think there would be some monsters at Popes Eye and Point Lonny Marine Park.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 17:14 
Expert Member (SFD)

Ban, ban… That’s what’s they good on, banning. They have to justify the money they receiving, so they fabricate some kind of report (not professional as usual) about low fish stock or something, and then ban this and ban that so they can say they done something.
In my opinion Fisheries suppose to enforce fishing laws and regulations, not creating them. Writing laws and regulations should be left to some one who is expert on the subject.

Last edited by immortal on 17 Mar 2011, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 17:15 
Fanatical Senior Member

Shine a torch in the deeper ledges on Shortlands Bluff and you have a real good chance of seeing them.
I don't think they breed in Vic, they drift in as larvae and have stunted growth.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 18:34 
Expert Member (SFD)

bloody spewing this has come out now, iv speared 5 in the last 2 months. Got a nice eastern at the prom with drew, about 2 kilo and the first eastern iv seen down here. Got some good one's at port fairy in the western dist comp, but there western groper. If people are going to go look for them that the area. Fuck over the year iv got them at pyramid rock, shank, barwon heads, kennet river, port fairy.These jokers wouldn have a clue!

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 18:35 
Forum Member

There used to be two small resident blues around Steels rocks about 6 years ago. Gone now. If no one shot them then they probably got to maturity and fucked off back to eastern vic. Probably as greg said drifted in as larvae and settled. Not sure about stunted growth though?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 19:14 
Fanatical Senior Member

What is on the score sheet as Southern BG is actually an eastern BG, A.viridis. The reason nobody has shot a big one in central vic is because it's at the extreme edge of their range and while able to survive they aren't able to breed.
It's just bullshit that the big ones were wiped out by spearos, they never existed down here.

Shadow where are you?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 19:45 
Fanatical Senior Member

South
just sent you a pm with details of catch and photo
(bloody delicious)

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 20:00 
Expert Member (SFD)

Greg wrote:
What is on the score sheet as Southern BG is actually an eastern BG, A.viridis. The reason nobody has shot a big one in central vic is because it's at the extreme edge of their range and while able to survive they aren't able to breed.
It's just bullshit that the big ones were wiped out by spearos, they never existed down here.

Shadow where are you?

Yeah I'd have to agree. My old man is in his 45th year of diving Vic waters, only recently has he noticed the smaller gropers. I actually saw them first and he thought I was full of shit until I pointed them out.. Never seen a big bright blue one though..

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free