It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:07

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 10 May 2012, 12:59 
Novice Member

HELP,we need as many people to post a submission to the Warrnambool City Council for support for better boat ramps and facilities at the proposed Marina at Warrnambool. My suggestion is for option one, but please choose your own and suggest in your submission any other relevant improvements you would like to see for the safety of all users.

Use the link below to download the draft copy.

http://www.warrnambool.vic.gov.au/index.php?q=node/1220

Regards Malcolm Janeway

If you do post in a submission, could you please email myself a copy to keep the council honest.
malcolm@janewaybuilders.com

PostPosted: 10 May 2012, 18:00 
Fanatical Senior Member

I'd much rather see any money spent on ramps spent where it is needed most. The waits you get in Warnambool are tiny compared to Melbourne/PPB.
I don't think spearos need an all weather port or permanent berths and I'm not sure that many of us would care about tourism potential and such.
The ramp at Warnambool is fine for my boat and for the boat of every spearo I know.

I don't want my tax dollars going into this project when there are more pressing needs that are more relevant to spearos.

PostPosted: 10 May 2012, 20:49 
Expert Member (SFD)

And thats the opinion of a non member there Malcolm.

Greg you realy should pull your head out of your you know what , you dont represent spearo's nor the SFD.

Iv seen quite a few trailer go over the end of that ramp, one ab boat had to get a crane in the get the trailer out.

PostPosted: 10 May 2012, 21:01 
Novice Member

How much do you know about this ramp Greg?

PostPosted: 10 May 2012, 21:44 
Fanatical Senior Member

stinga wrote:
How much do you know about this ramp Greg?

Last launched there about 8-10 years ago. It had heaps of parking, virtually no wait and actually seemed pretty good. I have launched there probably half a dozen times. I had an uncle and aunt down there that I used to visit a bit. With a 1m swell outside there is virtually nothing on the ramp. Being free was pretty cool too.

the brown mullet wrote:

Greg you realy should pull your head out of your you know what , you dont represent spearo's nor the SFD.

Where in the statement of my opinion did I claim to represent anybody else? and do you really think this ramp is a priority when way more ramps are needed in the bay and the ab divers can easily launch from Port Fairy?

PostPosted: 10 May 2012, 22:19 
Expert Member (SFD)

[quote="Greg"]
I don't think spearos need an all weather port or permanent berths and I'm not sure that many of us would care about tourism potential and such.

HMMM i must have read this wrong.......

As for Ab divers launching at Port Fairy, Warnambool is the boarder of the central and western zones Greg. Central zone divers cant launch at port fairy.......

You were down there 8 or 10 years ago :roll: You twit.........

PostPosted: 10 May 2012, 22:23 
Novice Member

Well there you go. You know f#%k all about it. It has nothing to do about waiting times it's all about safety. I have lived in Warrnambool all my life. Warrnambools ramp is rated as one of the worst in the state. With the surge it picks up your boat and smashes it into your trailer damaging both. Many cars have had a swim at this ramp also. The harbour(if you could call it that) is so silted up boats regularly bottom out(this summer guys coming home after a days fishing had to jump in to push boats over a sand bar just to get to the ramp). As Murry said trailers drop off the edge of the ramp. We have a rescue boat that is on a swing mooring in the harbour which means if your in trouble Greg the rescue guys launch a tender go out to the rescue boat,get on board, start it,un hook mooring,drive over to jetty, pick up the rest of the crew and THEN come and rescue Greg. Don't you think having the craft in a pen would stop a lot of stuffing around and time saved(and some rescues time vital) Just a bit more info for you Greg the person who started this post is a spearo also. People have put in alot of time lobbying to get this far( this has been going on for a very long time 10-15 years ) And why would the central abb divers launch at Port Fairy you can stand on the end of the break wall and see where the western zone stops and the central zone starts.

PostPosted: 10 May 2012, 23:19 
Fanatical Senior Member

I didn't know central zone divers couldn't launch at PF. Nor was I aware of the situation with the coast guard. Even so I think the probably low estimate of $6,000,000 that they want to spend before adding in the cost of the onshore and wharf infrastructure and the repeated cost of dredging($1,000,000) for 30 000 cubic metres could be spent elsewhere.
Surely a much cheaper solution can be found for something that wont benefit a huge number of people.

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 07:11 
Novice Member

There has been consultation after consultation on this harbour and all of them pretty much come back with the same results( the harbour is f#%ked). You better come for a drive Greg and have a look how many people use the harbour. On a good day the car park is full. This is not only for rec boats, we have abb divers and also a cray fleet( which are also on swing moorings) what is wrong with making their work place safer. The habour needs dredging regularly anyway greg. Last time they dredged the harbour they put all the sand on the beach beside it so you know where all that sand went back to!!! What I have mentioned is only the tip of the iceberg contact Malcom he has been around a lot longer than me :lol: and knows a shit load more. This is what the experts came up with sure you might be able come up with something cheaper Greg but it will probably be like trying to use band aids after a shark bites your leg off. Bloody useless

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 09:51 
Novice Member

Consider it done mal, this is long overdue.

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 10:35 
Novice Member

Greg

I can understand your reluctance in support for this as it does not necessarily concern you as an every day user of this ramp. There is nothing worse than going diving or fishing out of Warrnambool, only to return to the ramp and find a 3ft swell/surge running up the ramp and also a large wind chop.

As you stated your tax dollars going to this project, this statement is not correct as the monies would be raised through Warrnambool residents via their rates and the balance through the Department of Transport and Marine (which collects the money through boat and trailer registrations).

Greg if you have issues with safety at other ramps in your area, you can glean a lot of information through this download and also by contacting myself to approach your councillors and politicians to banter for rebuild/repairs/extensions to relevant boat ramps in your area. Yes it takes a long time, dedication, frustration, meetings and most of all you loose a lot of your recreation time, but it will benefit others and all user groups.

When auguring your case for better infrastructure at your boat ramp/s, don’t just look after yourself as this will have a negative response from councillors and politicians. Main points for consideration for a favourable response councillors and politicians are Safety, All users, Tourists, Conjestion, they need to see a real need for a project to proceed.

In closing if you or any other person goes down the road fighting for safety at your ramps, you will receive not only by myself but a lot of others all the support you need. As we all utilize other ramps in all areas of Australia and everyone’s safety is paramount.

Kind regards and thanks to all Malcolm Janeway

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 12:32 
Novice Member

Thanks for all the work you have put in, diving fraternity needs more selfless people like you that are willing to support the sport at expense of their own time in the water.

The boatramp at Warrnambool is currently in need of major works and this study has provided the opportunity to get it right.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2015, 21:02 
Expert Member (SFD)

I voted - such a cool part of vic to go boating. I have never launched at warnambool as read so much bad stuff about the ramp and harbour so it does make a difference. Thats my money going to other communities instead of warnambool. The new plans look awesome - good luck

Malcolm with the current ramp at what point (wind) does it become unusable? I will try and come down This year for a couple of trips.