It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:20

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 10:55 
Expert Member (SFD)

Roundtable meeting

There are several means by which Government talks to fisheries stakeholders. The Roundtable is one. I attended the last meeting as the Southern Freedivers nominee.

The roundtable approach seems to work, with a pretty positive attitude amongst the attendees, and there was open discussion of a variety of issues: as diverse as trout stocking to super trawlers.

The issue on the agenda that concerned me was a proposal to increase the minimum size for snapper. The idea was that this would reduce “high grading”. (High grading is when somebody has taken the bag limit, but catches a fish that is a little better than the one they already have, so they throw away the old, smaller, fish, and substitute it with the bigger one. High grading is illegal, but some people still do it.)

The matter was discussed at the Southern Freedivers meeting the night before the roundtable.

I was prepared to go into bat on this matter, but as it turned out, there was no need. The Fisheries representative on the roundtable indicated that they didn’t have any intentions of changing the rules (at this time anyway) but that over this coming snapper season, fisheries officers will pay particular attention to enforcing the bag limit provisions of the regulations.

Ric

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 11:04 
Expert Member (SFD)

Thanks for the update Ric. Interesting topic.

Personally, i hope to one day see an increase in size limits for species such as snapper, kgw and trevally.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 12:45 
Expert Member (SFD)

I don't believe that increasing the size limit will stop people upgrading there fish.But we should be push for a size increase, 28cm for snapper and 27 for whitting is a joke. I recon it's more to do with the pro's why they wont do it.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 23:09 
Fanatical Senior Member

I realize after yesterday's descision to "stop the boat" that research means fuck all to anyone, but a study about 5 or more years ago showed that an increase in size limit would not improve snapper stocks. All it will do is reduce catch of spearoz and land based anglers. It's really hard to judge size of snapper underwater, and for me 28 cm gives me a bit of a safety net. I wouldn't often spear a snapper that small, but low 30cm snapper are good to serve whole steamed or baked. At 28, if they are a bit smaller than expected, they are still legal.
Mullet, after the last couple of days, do you really think any government would favor the pros over the recs, especially over a mostly recreational fishery!

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2012, 09:11 
Expert Member (SFD)

A mate of mine works at the fish markets in Melbourne, the amount of under size pinkies and whitting that go through the he recons is mind blowing. Just like when I worked on trawlers , for every 1ton of size fish there was a ton of waist! If they upped the size limits on them it would only get worse. This trawler stuff is way from over! The trawler will be working very soon from what I'm hearing, the pollies can't stop it

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2012, 20:02 
Expert Member (SFD)

You mean the Pollies can't stop it for fear of losing thier seat. Spineless they are.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2012, 20:59 
Expert Member (SFD)

Looks like they my have found a spine Blacky,they voted no to the trawler tonight which is a big step

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2012, 21:19 
Expert Member (SFD)

As you said..."big step". Fantastic! Hope the beast of a thing is sent to the bottom as a man made reef.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2012, 21:26 
Fanatical Senior Member

When I worked as a fishmonger there was always undersize fish but it was mostly from commonwealth, not state waters.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2012, 11:24 
Expert Member (SFD)

Its good to get feedback.

Seems to me its important (especially when dealing with Government agencies) to be very clear about the issue being discussed. The issue for the proposal put before the round table was to reduce high grading. I don't think that high grading is an issue for us. Few spearfishers take their bag. Spearfishers have the great advantage of being able to see the fish before they pull the trigger and can be selective. From our point of view, I don't think a change would have any impact on how many fish most of us take in a day.

There are already laws in place the specify the minimum size, and the maximum bag. Get caught breaking those laws, and you stand the chance of prosecution and fine.

If the issue is stock conservation (and having more, bigger and better snapper for the future), its quite possible to defend the current minimum size. Many juvenile fish die by natural causes, and if you don't allow people to take them, they are lost. I haven't gone through the statistics lately (but no doubt, if I attend the round table more: I will) but its probable that increasing the minimum size would not result in there being a detectable number of larger fish for the future. The rule change would just add a restriction. We have enough silly restrictions already.

Minimum size pinkies can have some use. There is not a lot of flesh on one, but every now and then, I don't mind a plate-size snapper (steamed in foil with a bit of rosemary). Seems to me that for every 30 cm plus snapper I see, I would see at least a hundred smaller. Newbies to snapper shooting would get very frustrated if they didn't get the positive reinforcement of shooting one (even if it is on the small size).

Anyway, I throw these ideas into the mix to see what the response is.

Ric

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2012, 14:34 
Fanatical Senior Member

I'm for an increase. In my opinion it's a no brainer that an increase would in turn lead to more sizable fish. We wouldnt even make a dent but rec fishos would take home a hell of a lot of just size fish I would think! I don't shoot pinkies under 34-35 as I think any smaller and they all look like they could be undersize.

If you don't hit a 28cm pinkie in the head your gonna lose half the fillet with the hole anyway and stuff keeping the size down for the newbies. They get to shoot kingies and stuff nowadays, surely they can hang out for a bigger pinkie to come in. Make them better spearos too!

I said something retarded in regards to high grading in the meeting because I thought(I wasn't the only one) that you said that they were trying to legalize high grading. Sorry if it threw you off at the time Ric.

Thanks for keeping us informed too!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2012, 15:36 
Expert Member (SFD)

For those who might be interested, I include a copy of the minutes of the last round table meeting. There was little of relevance to spearfishing, but its good to keep a presence.

Ric

Level 16 Rooms 3 and 4
1 Spring Street
Melbourne

Date: Thursday September 6th 2012

Time: 10.00am- 2.30pm

Chair: Merv McGuire
Secretariat: Alyce Parker

Attendees:
Dale McLelland We Fish
David Thornton Trailerboat Fsherman Magazine
Don Ellis Metropolitan Anglers Assocation
Geoff Fisher Game Fishing Assoc. Victoria
George Hardwick Victorian Piscatorial Council
Ric Fallu Southern Freedivers of Vic
Samantha Strong Fishcare Victoria
Jo Steff Recreational Angler
Ron Lewis Native Fish Australia
Ross Winstanley Recreational Fishing Research
Russell Conway VRFish Chairman
Anthony Hurst Fisheries Victoria (Introduction session)
Travis Dowling Fisheries Victoria
Mick Hodder Fisheries Victoria

Apologies:
Allan Hansard Australian Fishing Trade Association.
Ben Scullin Boating Industry Association of Vic.
Chris Collins VRFish Executive Officer
Dale McCabe General Fishing
David Kramer Futurefish Foundation
Doug Barham Council of Victorian Fly Fishing Clubs
Brian Hayes Australian National Sportfishing Assoc.
Tom Camp Recreational Inland Angler
Bill Sykes Parliamentary Secretary for Department of Primary Industries
Jarrod Lyon DSE – Freshwater Ecosystems
John Willis Charter Boat Association
Tim Hose Australian Anglers Association
Marc Ainsworth Department of Primary Industries
Rod Barford Australian Trout Foundation

Invited guests:
Geoff Williams Australian Platypus Conservancy
Anthony Forster Manager Freshwater Fisheries
David Gabriel Jones Public Land Consultancy

1/ Anthony Hurst- Executive Director, Fisheries Victoria
Provided an update/presentation on the Department’s restructure:
• Fisheries Victoria, Game Victoria and Forestry Regulation are now all directed by Anthony Hurst
• Fisheries Research Branch and Fisheries Management Branch are now combined and directed by Travis Dowling
• Fisheries research priorities are being assessed
• Will continue to see research targeted at fish stock assessments and quantifying recreational fishing catches
• The restructure will ensure that science, management and communications work more effectively
• Staff discussions are taking place.

2/ Merv McGuire- Chairman
• Announced apologies, introduced guests and outlined changes to the agenda.

3/ Geoff Williams- Australian Platypus Conservancy
Provided a presentation on reducing the risk of bycatch in yabby traps:
• Prior to Geoff’s presentation, Travis Dowling provided a quick introduction outlining research being undertaken by Fisheries Victoria to minimise impacts on bycatch. A Fisheries Notice detailing any regulation changes to yabby equipment will be released by the end of 2012
• Geoff discussed the research and conservation priorities of the Australian Platypus Conservancy (APC)
• The APC are not against fishing or yabbying and are working with management agencies to get the best outcome for non target species and recreational fishers
• Identified the use of illegal nets as a major threat to Platypus populations
• Outlined the APC’s recreational yabbying policy principles:
o all bycatch is eliminated (including banning unsafe equipment)
o yabbies and freshwater crays in public water are sustainably harvested
o “active” rather than “passive” yabbying is mandated for public waters
o adequate provision is made for testing and regulating new designs of traps as these are invented
o national regulations be developed
• Rays Outdoors have recently started tagging opera house nets to let the public know that they are not to be used in public waters
• The APC are also investigating the effectiveness of pyramid nets at catching yabbies and eliminating bycatch
• Regulation updates will be included in the 2013 Victorian Recreational Fishing Guide.

4/ David Gabriel Jones- Public Land Consultancy
Provided a presentation on the complexities associated with acquiring public land access:
• David has been employed by Fisheries Victoria to provide advice regarding Lake Bullen Merri access issues
• An example of changes to land law over time was used to demonstrate public land acquisition complexities and the difficulties associated with this body of law
• Complications have arisen from decisions made in the past which were not retrospective
• Identified the problems rivers changing courses, therefore affecting land rights
• The boundary at Lake Bullen Merri has shifted naturally which has resulted in these complications
• The Public Land Consultancy and Fisheries Victoria are continuing to work together to resolve access issues at Bullen Merri

5/ Anthony Forster- Director Freshwater Fisheries, Fisheries Victoria
Discussed the survey entitled “Improving Inland Recreational Fishing” which was conducted by FV earlier this year:
• The survey went out to 58,000 licence holders
• It received an 8.3% response rate
• Results showed the popularity of recreational fishing locations by river, estuary and lake
• The survey also highlighted the reasons people fish and how their favourite fishing spots could be improved
• This info has since been incorporated into DSE’s review of the River Health Strategy to inform future habitat rehabilitation
• Detailed results of this survey will be summarised and placed on DPI’s website in the near future.

6/ Roundtable Discussions
Geoff Fisher- discussed recreational fisher’s concerns about the possibility of the Margiris (Abel Tasman) super trawler entering Australian waters:
• Summarised the trawler’s capacity, target species and potential impact
• Roundtable expressed a number of concerns with the lack of engagement that the Commonwealth Government have had with fishers, the integrity of the supporting science and the long term effect on Victorian fish stocks if the vessel was granted access
• Encouraged recreational and commercial fishers to get together to voice their concerns
• Roundtable would like to see the Victorian Government make a formal statement about their view on the trawler entering Commonwealth waters.

Dale McClelland- follow on discussion from Geoff Fisher detailing how “We Fish” have been involved:
• We Fish have been using extensive social media to communicate super trawler concerns to the wider audience of recreational fishers
• Encouraged all fishers to get together and communicate the appropriate message to the relevant authorities
• Roundtable were supportive of continued collaboration between recreational fishing bodies and decision making agencies.

Jarod Lyon was unable to attend the roundtable. A handout summarising DSE’s recreational fishing activities was distributed to the roundtable.

David Thornton- discussed potential compliance concerns associated with the upcoming snapper season:
• Highlighted the importance of communicating the snapper regulations and minimising the number of discarded fish
• Fisheries Victoria’s focus last snapper season was on concealment, this year there will be a focus on high grading. Targeted compliance and increased communication will minimise illegal activity and snapper mortality.

Ross Winstanley- provided an update on the latest national Recreational Fishing Industry Development Strategy (RFIDS) projects and the implications of climate change for recreational fishers:
• RFIDS projects:
o Understanding the catch in Australia – a coordinated national data collection for recreational fishing in Australia
o Development of a national education program
o Identifying the health and well-being benefits of recreational fishing
o Expanding the future leaders program
o National conference “Casting towards tomorrow – keeping Australia fishing”
o Preparing for change – understanding climate change impacts for recreational fishing
o Throwing a lifeline to rec fishers: national roll-out of Angel rings
o Improved consultation with Government – the Minister’s Roundtable
o Establishing the catch of southern bluefin tuna by recreational fishers and charter boats in Australian waters
o Monitoring the recreational take of shark species of relevance to Commonwealth managed fisheries

• Provided an overview of the National Recreational Fishing Conference held on the Gold Coast in August
• Summarised a presentation given by Dallas D’Silva about climate change and the effect on recreational species in Victoria.

7/ Travis Dowling, Director Fisheries Management and Science, Fisheries Victoria
Updated the roundtable on current fisheries management and recreational fishing activities:
• Devilbend Reservoir:
o Fisheries Victoria will be stocking a further 6,000 rainbow trout
o Presence and absence data will be collected to determine how fish stocks are progressing
o Fishing platforms funded by revenue generated from the sale of recreational fishing licences will be constructed.
• Chinook salmon:
o Anglers have been consulted regarding the stocking program
o A draft stocking plan was developed and supported by recreational fishers
o Fisheries Victoria have proposed to reduce the number of rainbow and brown trout stocked in a small number of waters to allow for the successful growth of the Chinook salmon
o Brown trout stocking would be suspended for 2 years (in selected waters) under this proposal
o The roundtable suggested that Waranga Basin be considered as a potential waterway for future Chinook salmon stockings.
• Redfin in Lake Hume:
o A number redfin showing signs of being sick were recently recovered from Lake Hume
o A series of media releases were distributed to the roundtable in relation to this issue
o The Environment Protection Agency determined that there were no water quality concerns
o No recognisable disease or virus was found
o One golden perch was also found to have similar markings on the skin and gills, but this is thought to be unrelated
o Fisheries Victoria recommends that any fish that appear to be sick are not eaten.

2pm: Meeting close
Next statewide roundtable meeting is scheduled for Thursday, December 6th, 2012.

ACTIONS REPORT – ROUNDTABLE 27

Update on actions from June meeting
Due to limited time, the actions from the last roundtable were not addressed during the meeting. Below is a summary of the status of each action and those that remain ongoing.

• FV and VRFish to meet to discuss ways to improve education about the safe handling of snapper and provide update- VRFish are working on communication materials which highlight the importance of the safe handling of snapper and other recreational species. COMPLETED
• VRFish to investigate the potential of extending public liability insurance to recreational anglers. ONGOING
• FV to contact DSE to provide a list of public land leases ending in the coming year so anglers are aware in advance- Have been in contact with DSE’s property manager, Tim Shepherd. He has advised the following:
o there are no direct leases administered by DSE for uses associated with recreational fishing that are expiring within the next 12 months
o here may be leases granted by committees of management which may be expiring, but DSE would need further information on precise locations before undertaking enquiries with the relevant committees
o there are 411 licences administered by DSE that have jetty/mooring/wharf/pier/landing as a purpose, which are generally renewed annually and hence generally do not have secure tenure. COMPLETED
• FV and VRFish to meet at Lake Bullen Merri to discuss access options- Anthony Forster (FV) and Christopher Collins (VRFish) met at Bullen Merri earlier in the year and have since been working with land managers and the Public Land Consultancy to regain recreational fishing land access. COMPLETED
• VRFish to seek a Memorandum of Understanding with DSE re: maintaining access to waterways. ONGOING
• David Gabriel-Jones to present at next statewide forum (Public Land Consultancy). COMPLETED
• VRFish to contact Parks Victoria to discuss how anglers can get involved with helping to eradicate the Northern Pacific sea star. ONGOING
• FV to add a picture of the Northern Pacific seastar to the Recreational Fishing Guide smartphone application- Image has been sourced and will be added to the smartphone app when next updated. COMPLETED
• FV to provide an update on the status of the Southern blue fin tuna economic study at next roundtable- The Deloitte Access Economics (DAE) project is well on track:
o The project is funded by Vic DPI and the Glenelg Shire Council
o The survey of rec SBT fishers and charter boats was completed in June
o Of the 497 anglers surveyed, 442 had travelled to Portland for the sole purpose of fishing, and 385 were explicitly targeting SBT
o Economic modelling is currently being completed by DAE
o The draft report will be provided to DPI and the Steering Committee by 30 September. COMPLETED
• Geoff Fisher to provide update on the Warrnambool Safe Boating Harbour submissions at next forum- 400+ submissions were received and reviewed. Of those 400, 8 were supported and actions will be implemented accordingly. COMPLETED

Actions arising and ongoing
To be addressed at the next roundtable meeting:

Action
1 VRFish to investigate the potential of extending public liability insurance to recreational anglers. ONGOING
2 VRFish to seek a Memorandum of Understanding with DSE re: maintaining access to waterways. ONGOING
3 VRFish to contact Parks Victoria to discuss how anglers can get involved with helping to eradicate the Northern Pacific seastar. ONGOING
4 Forward Anthony Forster’s presentation (RFL survey) to the roundtable.
5 Ross Winstanley’s research summary of current RFIDS projects to be distributed to roundtable.
6 Dallas D’Silva to present on recreational fishing and climate change at the next roundtable meeting.