It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:31

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012, 15:37 
Fanatical Senior Member

New report, might be of interest to some?

http://www.fish.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012, 12:12 
Expert Member (SFD)

This is really good stuff and takes a rational approach. It says, generally, that with two notable exceptions, fish stocks are in good condition. Fish are being exploited, but not unsustainably.

Some of the past green assessments (as opposed to this assessment) have been a little too negative in my opinion. I remember one report getting concerned that a lot of fish stocks were "fully" exploited. All that really means is that the fishery managers are doing their job appropriately.

Seems to me that this kind of assessment, by an impartial body, can only benefit us. That's why I support the CSIRO analysis of our historical spearfish results.

Of course, spearfishers would like to keep all the fish for themselves, but so would the passive users, commercial fishers, and line anglers, and a balance needs to be struck, and that balance needs to include a limit to allow continued replenishment of stocks. But it seems, more or less, things are going well.

Ric