It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:33

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 13 May 2013, 19:54 
Fanatical Senior Member

Please see link below of a VERY IMPORTANT Fishing Rally headed up by Rex Hunt and the "Keep Australia Fishing" group.

Rob Torelli is advising the South West Club members as well, so I hope to see a good turn out!!

This organisation is the "real deal", I will be going!!

http://www.keepaustraliafishing.com.au/

Attachments:
2013_KAF_Rally_.jpg
2013_KAF_Rally_.jpg [ 188.07 KiB | Viewed 2235 times ]

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 12:38 
Fanatical Senior Member

from the office of Rob Oakeshott

Home » DISALLOWANCE MOTION ON RECREATIONAL FISHING
DISALLOWANCE MOTION ON RECREATIONAL FISHING
Submitted by webadmin on Tue, 04/06/2013 - 9:14pm

04/06/2013
Recreational fishing has an important place in community life and is to be encouraged. The creation of marine parks in Commonwealth waters, if done correctly, can lead to more fish for recreational fishers. Two questions have been answered today. The first is one of process. I am satisfied the process has been extensive and ample opportunity for input has been allowed. The second is the question of land-based fishing off beaches, in rivers and estuaries. Families will still be able to fish in coastal waters, beaches, estuaries and rivers. Marine Park Management Plans are not all about recreational fishing – they are about protecting our unique marine areas from mining and commercial activity. Today I did not get to vote only on whether or not recreational fishing be allowed. I had to vote on maintaining marine park management plans or not. If the regulations were disallowed for recreational fishing no protections could be put in place for at least six months. That would put us in a new 44th parliament. I believe mining companies and other activities would be exploring these areas at the expense of recreational fishing. I have supported the management plans but I ask government to please look at and address the concerns of recreational fishers, back your decisions up with science and make sure this sensible protection does not stop reasonable activity by Australia’s anglers in these areas. Four per cent of our deep sea areas are affected by these plans; they are more than 5.5km from shore. There is plenty of space around these areas, and recreational fishers can cross over these areas. I do understand that recreational fishers pride themselves on their sustainable practice, are participating in a sport, and are not trying to destroy an area of significance for profit or great personal gain. To the fishers who have contacted my office, as someone who believes in the motto ‘I fish and I vote’– put pressure on your local MP to stand in their party room and on the floor of parliament for your interests to make sensible changes to improve sustainable recreational and commercial fishing in Australia - changes that recognise the recreational fishers’ contribution to sustainability and marine environment but keep these areas protected from the activities that threaten them is the balance I hope we all seek.
"

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 13:43 
Fanatical Senior Member

Less fish commercially harvested = less jobs, greater import of foreign commercial fish.
Charter boats affected as well. And from what we found out last night is that the organisation behind the marine parks are sponsored by oil companies. :lol:

Science behind these zones please!

Ohh lets keep the recreational anglers and greenies in our pockets = more votes
And then when we have enough voters, who vote on a implementation to keep something "pretty" we will push minorities such as recreational anglers/spearos out next!

Letters from now on boys dont waste your time speaking for 20mins with muppets from his reception. Couldnt answer any of my questions. Even a simple one such as would she think differently if she or her family made a living by working in these areas?

Sorry about the long essay but we have to stick togethor and fight. This country already has too much bureaucratic red tape(rules)!

Geoff

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 19:57 
Novice Member

I agree. A good point was made last night about sending mail to the relevant politicians. Do you have all the relevant delivery details? If so I'll write a letter plus make it available on Facebook.

Good on you for following this up and hopefully we can avoid this misery of political ignorance.

Never trust a man who doesn't drink