It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:04

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2009, 10:27 
Novice Member

any one no any good recipes for ab's??????

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2009, 10:35 
Expert Member (SFD)

I usually just slice them ultra thing and fry them in a very hot pan with garlic butter, bout 2mins. Love them like that.
another way we have done them is shell them, clean the shell and ab, give the ab a bash with tenderizer, place some oinion, garlic, tinned tomato and herbs with the ab & back into the shell and cook on coals of a fire. Good one to do when camping

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2009, 12:14 

i have crumbed them and shallow fried them and they are pretty nice but also quite oily.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2009, 17:40 
Novice Member

thanx i will try them sounds good

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 18:05 
Forum Member

mince ab the ab meat and make it into burgers like you would any other the cook in garlic butter on a low heat

Attachments:
File comment: abalone minced and made into burgers as you would with beef and cooked in garlic butter, then added to hamburger rolls with lettice and tartar sauce
ab burgers.jpg
ab burgers.jpg [ 43.82 KiB | Viewed 5028 times ]

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 18:45 
Expert Member (SFD)

Slice them horiz btw sole and the skirt; bash the s*#t out of them with perforated tenderizer both sides (may split on one side but it's OK), salt, into flour, into beer batter and 2min. each side - bit of lemon at the end!
Platter with a rocket salad abs and slice of lemon on top (looks actually quite good as well).

Yum

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 22:17 
Fanatical Senior Member

shallow diver wrote:
Slice them horiz btw sole and the skirt; bash the s*#t out of them with perforated tenderizer both sides (may split on one side but it's OK), salt, into flour, into beer batter and 2min. each side - bit of lemon at the end!
Platter with a rocket salad abs and slice of lemon on top (looks actually quite good as well).

Yum

Listen To Marek. He's a bloody good cook.

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 17:12 
Forum Member

boil abs for seven min,rince abs.slice into thick pieces,prepare thai basil ,lemon grass,garlic,and chilli,leave seeds in for spicy taste.ad one spoon of veg oil to wok or frying pad then ad garlic and abs,wait twenty seconds then add rest of receipe cook one min place on jasmine rice.mmmmmmmmmmmmm. :P

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 13:20 
Fanatical Senior Member

My opinion is:

1. Make them into burgers as suggested, trying a little nutmeg as well as anyother spices you like with them.
-alternitively you could make meat-balls then have them with spaghetti; ie. make the meat balls, put aside, cook pasta, put pasta
in a frying pan, add olive oil, some antipasto ingredients (olives, sundried tomato, artichoke hearts etc.), then put in your meat-balls
add herbs or rocket, some fresh slices of chilli or chilli flakes... Hey PRESTO! Tasty abalone meat ball spaghetti. Cant go wrong
if you like pasta.

2. Slice them very thinly and stir-fry very quickly, either asian style or with a more french style with a little gralic butter etc. (as suggested)
-alternatively cook ONLY in very hot olive oil for about 30 secs on each side... SOOOOO good. Then put a little salt on them. I am of
the school that the less stuff you put on fresh sea-food, the better (unless your catch is of poor quality).

3. You tenderise them until they are falling apart and then but them in a batter and deep-fry.
-make your own tartre sauce... fresh lemon juice, capers, pickles, onion, herbs and mayonaise... or make own mayo: egg, salt, pepper oil (trick is in pouring the oil slowly into egg while mixing gently) and mates, that is about as good as it gets. Have with some home made chips and a green salad.

I think the key to cooking abalone successfully is:

a. to kill properly by stunning/hitting them so that they do not sieze up and go stiff.
b. avoid cooking big chunks.
c. take only big abalone and trim away from the foot and also the outside layer of skin, as this is the bits that can cooks tough.

Hope that will be of help!

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 13:18 
Forum Member

hey jazz, i've never heard of stunning them. what's the go? is this something you do post/prior to shucking or when you first collect them?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 21:05 
Forum Member

cmon Jazz, can you explain the stunning technique?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 21:07 
Expert Member (SFD)

i think he means killing them in the water once they are out in air they tence up

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 21:19 
Fanatical Senior Member

don't they tence up once they r disturbed?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 21:21 
Fanatical Senior Member

Can someone clear this up do you have to do anything in particular when you take abs ?? Long time till Nov but i'd like to know ...

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 21:27 
Forum Member

nah, i don't reckon that sounds right at all. Commercial divers keep them alive, and if the meat was more tender if killed underwater then it would be standard practice. I think they tense up when they're ripped out of their shells alive!