It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 23:40

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Best Chowder Recipe
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 12:10 
Fanatical Senior Member

This is good to make when your catch is small, or if you are having a feast and have some smaller and less tasty fish.
I have been making it throghout the winter from flatheads, goatfish. Leatherjacket is especially good as it stays together in the pot.
It is extra good if you can find a couple of larger crabs. If not, pickup a either a fresh one or two or if you cant get your hands on that a tin will do.
Once you had this... you will be cooking it all the time.

You need about...

1 Onion, chopped
750ml Milk
200gram butter
1 Tablespoon of Flour
1 or 2 Fishheads
1 Tablespoon chopped Parsley
Salt and Pepper
1 carrot cubed
1 large potato cubed

Mussels, pippies, prawns, crayfish, etc. etc. scallops etc. what ever you want in it, but squid does not really work.

Crabs or can of crab meat

Special Herbal Mix (There is no substitute for this, if you don't get the spices right it will not be Best Choder recipe, but merely a chowder recipe.
you can buy these in relatively small packets, mix them up into one mix for use in the future.) Buy them already ground up.

-white mustard seeds
-coriander
-caraway
-chilli
-majoram
-horse radish
-garlic

1. Put fisheads and crab (taking the meat out and setting aside) into a half pot of water, boil vigorously until you reduce this to about 100ml of very strong stock. This will smell very, very fishy and be very strong. The edge will come of when you put in parsely later.

2. Boil the cubed carrot and potato and set aside, drained of course.

2. Melt butter and fry onion until its going a bit brown, being careful not to burn it at any stage. Add crab meat and fry a little.
Add the flour and fry it a bit until it makes a paste. Add the fish stock and mix well. Add the milk
and mix very well. Add the spice mix, ensuring that you get enought of it to turn the milk a little a little orange. Taste. If you cant taste the herb mix just
add until it is prominent but not overpowering, that is the key. Let the mixture boil gently for a bit, you dont want to burn it. Then when you see it go
a little creamy after about ten mins add the potato and carrot, and give them a good couple of mashes in the pot with a masher. Add all your seafood etc. and cook it. When you see that it is all cooked add salt and pepper (if you need it, although a little salt is always good for this recipe) add the chopped parsely and stir well.
Serve with crusty bread and garnish with a pinch of the spice mix.
I have not met a seafood eater who has not loved this recipe (the key is really the spice mix, and you have to make sure you add a bit of everything but not too much of anything or else it will not be right) a guy I know is lactose intolerant but still eats it when I cook it!

(I will probably make this this weekend so I can put up a photo)