It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:02

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 13:56 
Fanatical Senior Member

Went out today in St Leonards area where there was no fish about but plenty of sand crabs. So I got a bag of about 10 for lunch. Never tried or cooked them before so was very happy to find they taste bloody good!
I got a big pot of water (the biggest one in the kitchen) and added 2 tbspn of salt, 1 tbspn sugar, a good splash of spiced white vinegar ( you get it in asian shops, has chilli's floating in it), 1 tbspn of chopped lemongrass and bought it to the boil.
While waiting for it to boil I made a quick tartare sauce and some rice to go with it, and also rinsed the crabs in freshwater to get a bit of the sand out.
When the water boiled I put all the crabs in and left them to boil for about 7 to 8 mins.
When cooked they start to float more. I then took them straight from the pot back into the sink with fresh cold water to cool them off. Once cooled I put them on newspaper and gave them a shake to get some excess water out.. then serve!
Attachment:
resize1.jpg
resize1.jpg [ 90.86 KiB | Viewed 2375 times ]

The only bad thing is they're bloody fidely to get the meat out of and after eating four or five of them I'd had enough, also they're messy eating.
The bag limit for crabs is 30 with no minimum size. Try to get them bigger than 6cm or 7cm from the front to back of their shell as there's not much meat on the smaller ones. You are also allowed to use a spear to collect them. They are not allowed to be taken in the entertidal zone

cheers

leigh

Last edited by blinky on 13 Dec 2009, 17:41, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 14:47 
Fanatical Senior Member

Sand crabs.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 22:25 
Fanatical Senior Member

Sexy sand crabs, Yeah there is utensils you can get to make getting the meat from the legs 100 times more easy...