It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 19:36

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012, 09:46 
Forum Member

Hey guys just wanted to share this great ab recipe with you. I really like the taste of abs but its always a hassle to prepare them and then fry a heap of thinly sliced portions off and they go cold by the time you serve them cause your waiting for another batch to cook etc etc.

Basically this recipe you just clean the ab but leave it whole in the shell, then place in a pan with olive oil on the lowest simmer you can for 20min. Then remove the meat from the shell and dice, put back into the pan with the juices from slowly cooking the ab and fry quickly with butter garlic herbs etc. The beauty about this method is you dont even have to trim the beard off, its actually tender after the slow cooking.

I was a bit wary and didnt really beleive in it but i cooked them exactly the way shown in the video and the ab was tender as, and very tasty. It is soooo much easier than slicing a heap of thin peices and frying them all off in batches.

heres the vid, let me know what you guys think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo-HUS8cS7U

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012, 11:42 
Fanatical Senior Member

Certainly looks interesting, I'll have to give it a go.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 17:02 
Forum Member

Hi Greg did you end up giving it a go mate? Or anyone else, i really found this to be a great way to cook up abs.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 18:22 
Forum Member

Just before he added the soy, he added something that appeared to be herby and I couldn't catch the name. Sounded like mint, but I wouldn't be adding mint...did anyone else catch the name through his thick accent?

Fantastic looking dish. Look forward to trying it.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 19:11 
Fanatical Senior Member

I've only managed weekday dives the last couple of weeks so no abs.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 19:48 
Expert Member (SFD)

I gave this a go, best way to cook them that I have tried. They retain a lot more of what I would describe as their natural flavor and its saves a bit of prep. Well worth a crack.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 20:07 

As soon as I clicked the link and saw Tetsuya I knew this recipe would have to be good, even though I haven't tried it yet. Four of us went to his restaurant in Sydney one evening and it cost us $1200.....
The man certainly has a way with food.

Might have a go at this recipe soon.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2012, 10:26 
Forum Member

Good to see it getting used! I agree its a great recipe/method. Im not sure either what he said just before he threw in the soy so I just left it out lol. You can probably just put whatever herbs suit your taste. Yeah I never heard of testyu but if he cost 1200 bucks for 4 people he must be an amazing chef!! I wonder how much this ab dish would cost in his resteraunt? A lot I bet and we can cook it for free, thats one of the perks of freediving!

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2012, 20:39 

Had a go at this recipe/method tonight. Works a treat. I may have butchered Tetsuyas recipe a little but I was still happy with the results.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 12:44 
Novice Member

The ingredient before the soy is Mirin. Mirin is a sweet Japanese cooking wine that offsets the saltyness of the soy. I havent cooked abs this way yet but keen to get out, get some and give it a try!

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 19:30 

Wait, so do you shuck and clean it first, and just put it back in the shell, or just give it like a wash / clean the crap off its shell and shuck it after its cooked?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 20:14 
Forum Member

I cleaned cut the guts out before i cooked it when i did it, is that what you mean? Wouldnt seem right to cook it with the guts in. Oh yeah hanks Joe for the lowdown on that mirin stuff, ill try that if i remember just to see the difference. So i guess if you dont have mirin, some other sweet wine, maybe sherry would do?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 20:57 
Forum Member

MIRIN!!!

Thanks Joe. Dunno why I thought he said mint...course it's mirin. Hanging out to try this. Been thinking about it all friggin day.

On the rare occaisions when I've been able to afford a good, genuine (read - expensive) Nippon nosh-up I've thought the food must have come from Mars. They've just had such a different spin on cuisine....it's just so gobsmackingly good.

They were talking about dashi on the radio the other day. The skill and subtlety that goes into the fermenting and drying of shredded bonito flakes....product of an extraordinary culture that has continued to build on centuries of refinement.

I was stuck for lunch today. Bought a sausage roll, pineapple donut, a chocolate Big M and a packet of Winfield Red.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 08:02 
Expert Member (SFD)

No, I'm pretty sure the idea of cooking it like this is to stew it in its own juices. Cook it WHOLE in it's shell, as gutting it will cause it to bleed and tense, hence ruining the whole effect of what he's doing. All those juices coming into the pan will be from the guts and possibly excess sea water. It will be super easy to clean after the cooking.. all it will take is one slip of the thumb under the shell to remove the foot from it.

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 10:08 
Forum Member

I really want to try this recipe when my parents are in town next (could be a couple months) and seeing that ab open days stop soon, I was wondering how abs taste when defrosted? Could they be frozen whole (unshucked/ungutted)?