It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:27

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2010, 13:03 

Went to a mate's wedding last night; had a plate of snapper in tarragon butter plonked down in front of me for the main course at the reception.

Phwoooaaarrr!!! Was it ever good!

The big surprise though was the skin of the snapper.

I've never been a fan of fish skin, but once I'd eaten everything else on the plate and there was just the fish skin left over I figured I should give it at least a shot.

It was awesome!! Really soft and tasty - just like moist roasted chicken skin. YUM!!

Can't remember the last time I've eaten snapper; is the skin always like this, or did I just strike the product of an absolute gun of a chef (everything else on the menu was awesome too)?

Cheers!

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 17:29 
Fanatical Senior Member

gun chef. :lol:

i personally hate fish skin in general and from memory i think that the first fish i ever tried the skin of was actually snapper.... made sure i didnt do that ever again. so i assume the chef must have cooked it a certain way?

so the skin didnt have that really strong and horrible fishy taste like usual?

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 11:13 
Expert Member (SFD)

I will scale and fillet snapper around the 1.2kg mark or smaller. The skin is tastey and when cooked right it goes nice and crispy.

Any bigger than that i will fillet and skin it.

cheers

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 13:11 

Cheers guys!

twitch - nope, the skin wasn't "fishy" at all (at least not in a bad way). Very soft and moist and quite thick - it felt almost like there was some kind of a fat layer in there, hence the "chicken skin" comparison.

Octopussy - interesting to hear you skin the ones over 1.2kg as the fillets we had were big and thick; could well have been from fish over the 1.2kg mark.

The snapper skin we had was clean and completely intact (i.e. it had been scaled, but there were no herbs on the surface or puncture marks to indicate that herbs had been stuffed through it to season the meat), very pale and was not crispy at all (in fact it looked a bit limp and a little rubbery which put me off trying it initially).

The chef didn't give much away with the menu description on how to have the skin so moist and succulent - it was described simply as "Snapper fillet baked in tarragon butter".

The fact that the skin was not crisped or browned up at all may be the clue to how he cooked it - perhaps using the "baked in a bag" method where the fish is enclosed (usually in paper or foil) so that it's virtually steamed and the skin can cook without burning due to the retained steam.

Might have to make a few experiments in the kitchen to figure out how to replicate it.

But first I'll have to get my hands on some snapper - D'oh! This could take awhile.....