It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:58

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 19:40 
Forum Member

Thought i might share this recipe, i make this all the time. Im eating it right now lol :P

Ingredients
3 tablespoons oil for frying
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 nice chunk of ginger, grated fine
2 green chilies, whole, fresh
2 teaspoons lemongrass, minced
1 piece cinnamon stick
2 whole cloves
3 cardamom, whole green pods
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 can of coconut milk, preferably organic such as the safeway brand
500-600 grams of firm flesh fish, can also throw in prawns and/or scallops to make up the weight
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons corriander leaves, fresh, shredded
green chilies, for garnish
Lime wedges

Method
In a wok or saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, cook until just brown. Add the garlic, ginger, chilies and lemongrass, cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the six spices and continue stirring 1 to 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, bring the mixture to a boil, cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring once or twice.

Remove the lid, gently stir in the fish and salt, cover and cook over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes or just until the fish is cooked through. Taste the sauce for seasoning.

Pour the fish and sauce into an attractive serving bowl; garnish with the fresh corriander, chili and lime wedges. Serve at once with rice.

As with any recipe ajust it to your own taste, bon apetite!

Attachments:
DSC07220.JPG
DSC07220.JPG [ 112.35 KiB | Viewed 4998 times ]

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 20:26 
Fanatical Senior Member

that's the stuff. I normally throw in some veges as well and swap the salt for fish sauce but I guess fish sauce and vegies aren't for everyone.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 16:39 
Forum Member

Nice one, i was toying with the idea of throwing in some vegies. Just make sure your fish sauce doesnt have any msg or aspartame on it. Look out for for any numbers in the 900's and 600's in the ingredients. If it contains any of these numbers avoid like the plague.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 17:25 
Expert Member (SFD)

Quote:
Just make sure your fish sauce doesnt have any msg or aspartame on it.

Both of these are safer than the fried onion you added.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 17:40 
Fanatical Senior Member

kiwi_scott wrote:
Quote:
Just make sure your fish sauce doesnt have any msg or aspartame on it.

Both of these are safer than the fried onion you added.

Enlighten us oh educated one?

The dish looks great anyway, however my idea of easy is if has few ingredents, not 18.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 18:05 
Expert Member (SFD)

MSG and aspartame have been rigorously proven to be safe. They cop a lot of flak from hippies because they sound 'sciency', but as with most things hippy look a little deeper and it turns out to be unsubstantiated BS. Fried onions (and potato) contain acrylamide, a potent cumulative neurotoxin. I wouldn't stop eating any of them, but lets deal in facts.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 18:19 
Forum Member

Sorry to dissaggree with you , but your mis-information is dangerous.

aspartame

How Aspartate (and Glutamate) Cause Damage
Aspartate and glutamate act as neurotransmitters in the brain by facilitating the transmission of information from neuron to neuron. Too much aspartate or glutamate in the brain kills certain neurons by allowing the influx of too much calcium into the cells. This influx triggers excessive amounts of free radicals, which kill the cells. The neural cell damage that can be caused by excessive aspartate and glutamate is why they are referred to as "excitotoxins." They "excite" or stimulate the neural cells to death.

Aspartic acid is an amino acid. Taken in its free form (unbound to proteins) it significantly raises the blood plasma level of aspartate and glutamate. The excess aspartate and glutamate in the blood plasma shortly after ingesting aspartame or products with free glutamic acid (glutamate precursor) leads to a high level of those neurotransmitters in certain areas of the brain.

The blood brain barrier (BBB), which normally protects the brain from excess glutamate and aspartate as well as toxins, 1) is not fully developed during childhood, 2) does not fully protect all areas of the brain, 3) is damaged by numerous chronic and acute conditions, and 4) allows seepage of excess glutamate and aspartate into the brain even when intact.

The excess glutamate and aspartate slowly begin to destroy neurons. The large majority (75 percent or more) of neural cells in a particular area of the brain are killed before any clinical symptoms of a chronic illness are noticed. A few of the many chronic illnesses that have been shown to be contributed to by long-term exposure to excitatory amino acid damage include:

Multiple sclerosis (MS)
ALS
Memory loss
Hormonal problems
Hearing loss
Epilepsy
Alzheimer's disease
Parkinson's disease
Hypoglycemia
Dementia
Brain lesions
Neuroendocrine disorders

MSG
Some known MSG Side Effects:
• Headaches that are referred to as MSG headaches.
• Nausea and vomiting.
• Diarrhea.
• Irritable bowel symptoms.
• Bloating.
• Stomach cramps.
• Chest pain.
• Rashes or hives.
• Runny nose or sneezing.
• Weakness and fatigue or lethargy.
• Warmth on the face, back or arms.
• Tightness or pressure on face.
• Pressure around eyes.
• Burning or tingling sensations in the neck, chest and back.
• Heart palpitations and rapid heartbeat.
• Stiffness.
• Mental confusion, anxiety, mood swings or depression.
• Difficulty focusing.
• Dizziness or light-headedness.
• Blurred vision.
• Bags under the eyes.
• Difficulty sleeping and insomnia.
• Frequent urination.
• Constant cravings.
• Restlessness.
• Extreme drop or rise in blood pressure.
• Increased rates of obesity.
• Hypoglycemia.
• Rectal bleeding.
• Panic attacks.
• Behavioral problems and hyperactivity in children that are often attributed to junk foods.
• Asthma and inability to breathe in asthmatic patients.
• Swelling on prostate and vagina.
• Paralysis.
• Seizures.
• Brain cell death and brain damage.
• Brain tumors.
• Strokes.
• Severe depression.
• Rage reactions.
• Liver abnormalities.

Couldnt find the fried onion report.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 19:00 
Expert Member (SFD)

Misinformation indeed. Rather than go blow-by-blow, have a look at this for a primer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

This is worth a look too, but not as comprehensive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_a ... th_effects

Both glutamate and aspartate are poorly absorbed from the gut into the bloodstream - if you're shooting up fish sauce in the back of the St Kilda tram you might have a problem, but otherwise you're fine.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 19:06 
Expert Member (SFD)

Oh and food-borne acrylamide is a much more emerging area (first noted in the early 2000s), so hasn't really gotten out to the chain-letter stage yet. Here is an example: http://foodbase.org.uk/results.php?f_report_id=46

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 19:53 
Forum Member

Any one can submit propaganda onto wiki, and any document denying the dangers of aspartame/msg/fluride/chlorine is exactly that...propaganda. There is a lot of money in these products, of course big business wants to protect them. Tobacco was freely advertised before, and the dangers were not openly addmitted by the tobacco companies until relativly recently. Big business does NOT have your best interests at heart. Of course they will try to debunk medical findings that threaten theyre industry, usually by funding theyre own 'research' by scientists who are well payed to reach outcomes that are favourable to theyre interests.

We dont live in a moral or ethical world, you need to educate yourself to be able to avoid the hidden dangers.

I really dont want to sit hear and argue with you, (no use turning this into a 'im right your wrong' rant), you wont convince me and if i dont convince you then that is a pity. Its your health not mine, and its your decision what you choose to put into your body. I just hate to see the victims of corporate greed getting sick, and seemingly getting in line for theyre dose of poison because they have been brainwashed into thinking that it is perfectly harmless.

I guess we can agree to disagree, i dont know you and i dont have anything against you. We both love spearfishing lets leave it at that. I just wanted to share a recipe and im sorry it became some kind of argument.

For those who are undecided i guess the best thing is to be objective. What are the motives and agendas of each side? (not any one individual but the origins of the pro aspartame camp and the origins of the anti aspatame camp).

Pro aspartame Would like to promote and protect a multi billion dollar industry. Want to make money off theyre fellow man.

anti asapartame See aspartame as a serious health risk. Would like to inform people who may not be aware of the risks of prolonged and ongoing consumption of aspartame. Want to help theyre fellow man.

Also what are your personal risks associated with taking any one side?

Take the view of the anti aspartame misguided opinions and you may deprive your palate a lifetime of sensory pleasures that are aspartame and msg.

Take the view of the pro aspartame misguided opinions and you may end up with chronic disease/significantly reduced quality of life/significantly reduced lifespan.

Peace

Last edited by Popeye on 21 Jun 2011, 12:48, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 20:12 
Expert Member (SFD)

Likewise, I have nothing against you (or your recipe, looks cracker). Too often this sort of thing is put forward as fact, which with all respect for your opinions it is not. Wikipedia is far from perfect, but in terms of a readily understood laymans factual resource it surpasses wildly inaccurate chain letters. But appy to agree to disagree, good fishing.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 20:16 
Expert Member (SFD)

Wheres the Forum Fag officer! stop this bullshit at once! Delete delete delete

Correct answers $4.00
Dumb looks are still free

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 20:32 
Fanatical Senior Member

kiwi_scott wrote:
Likewise, I have nothing against you (or your recipe, looks cracker)..........But appy to agree to disagree, good fishing.

You are a Gentleman kiwi.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 22:20 
Expert Member (SFD)

How does bundy affect the brain cells I think I'm stuffed 8)

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2011, 08:36 
Fanatical Senior Member

Bundy is one of those chicken or the egg things. Does it cause brain damage or do you need brain damage to be able to drink it?