It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:29

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 21:55 
Fanatical Senior Member

Sometimes it happens I get home late from the fishing session and simply can't clean and process the shellfish I have gathered (e.g. mussels and scallops) and, therefore, simply put them in a bag and freeze them as they are.
When thawing this resulted in somewhat disapponting outcomes, particularly for mussels, and it's not so much the process of defrosting but I believe it's the freezing that I get wrong.

I thought that perhaps a better way would be to keep them in a container with ice bags in the fridge at approx 0*C and no more than 3*C rather than in the freezer (-18*C), this should buy me at least 1 or 2 days to use them and/or clean them

How do you keep your shellfish / mussels?

Thank you

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 22:01 
Fanatical Senior Member

I eat them within a day while they are still alive or they become bait for cotton danglers.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 20:52 
Expert Member (SFD)

sometimes after a big day in the water i can't be rooted cleaning anything. I'll keep the catch on ice over night with a little salt water and clean (or cook) it all the next day. Have done it with fish, abs, crays and they come up fine. Ice with some kelp works good too.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2011, 12:20 
Expert Member (SFD)

Octopussy wrote:
sometimes after a big day in the water i can't be rooted cleaning anything. I'll keep the catch on ice over night with a little salt water and clean (or cook) it all the next day. Have done it with fish, abs, crays and they come up fine. Ice with some kelp works good too.

I tried this with scollops and the method works fine, keeps the scollops fresh with out changing the taste of texture of them. :P

Stephen.