It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:39

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 22:59 
Fanatical Senior Member

Yeah you read the title right.

Little bit bored so I thought I'd share with you a technique my uncle taught me 20+ yrs ago which I still use today.

Now this technique is best done on the edge of the water where it's relatively calm. So as normal you gut(gills included) and scale your fish. Run your knife tip down along the length of the vertebrae column (underside of backbone). Get a sml handful of wet sand (when I say sand I don't mean shell and coral rubble) place inside gut of fish. I normally place the fish just under the water and put the sand in it. Rub the blood line with the sand and any black stomach lining as if you are using sand paper. And what do you know all the blood line and black lining comes away easily. 10 times easier than a knife. Most sands in Vic and southern states comprise of Silica which is a main component in making glass. The silica works like sand paper and is fine enough to remove this layer but more important get in between the vertebrae where a knife can't.

I bet most people at some point in their lives when gutting a fish stick the knife point in between the vertebrae to get the these blood pockets out and it's a bit fiddley (especially pinkies). Well stick some sand rub and then wash out sand and blood with salt water and most of the blood will come out easily. No change in the fish taste and so much quicker.

Don't believe me try it on a mullet which has black stomach lining through out it.

For those that don't know by removing the blood line and black stomach lining(if the fish has it) improves the taste of the fish.

Geoff