It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:53

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Elephant shark
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 22:42 
Fanatical Senior Member

Went cotton dangling today and my mate got an elephant shark. he didn't want it because someone told him they were no good. It was bled straight away (a lot of blood) and gutted leaving not even a hint of ammonia. Quick and easy to get 2 firm white fillets I'd never cooked one of these before so wanted to keep it simple and see what they really taste like. I was impressed with it pan fried served with a few oven chips, coleslaw and a mayo with home grown finger lime through it.

Post subject: Re: Elephant shark
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 21:12 
Expert Member (SFD)

Cleaned up on them once off Ocean grove. We took our bag each (6 total) but caught 13 for the day. I had never caught one before and haven't since. They cook up fantastically well. Would definitely take one again.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 22:40 
Fanatical Senior Member

Greg
The first couple of times I had elephant it was good. Not as good as gummy but similiar texture. The next couple of times it was below par. The issues that it "may" have been was I froze them with the skin on, to make skin removal easier later. Sharks excrete urea through their skin.

Ive even tried smoking them but wasnt any good.

Blacky go to a place called Stockyard Point (Jam Jerrup not far from Lang Lang-Westerport). Bit of a hike but you can catch them day & night. Took a mate there couple of years ago and we got 14 land based in a few hours. Another time hooked into a big one and gave the rod to Carly and she landed a big 5kg female. All released.

Geoff

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 13:19 
General Committee Member

Met a chap coming up the stairs at the schank yesterday with an elephant shark he had speared(along with a few zebs and duskies). Never even seen one before that.