Fanatical Senior Member

Ingredients:

Calamari
Onion
Chilli
Ginger
Spring Onion
Chinese Broccoli (or standard)
Mushrooms (field or straw or Chinese – you will need to soak these)
String beans (or snow peas)
Corn Spears
Sesame Oil
Oyster Sauce
Soy Sauce
Chicken Stock
Cornflour (must be – no other flour will do)
Jasmine rice

Put your Jasmine rice in the rice cooker and hit the “cook” button. (This is the hardest part of this recipe).

Put a tablespoon of chicken stock and a teaspoon of cornflour in a mug. Fill with boiling water and stir rapidly with a fork so no lumps are left. Set aside.

Cut Calamari into squares and score each one in diamond pattern (ie diagonal cuts). Score one side only.

Chop onion finely, chop some chillis, slice ginger thinly. Heat sesame oil in pan. Add onion, chilli, ginger. Add calamari soon afterwards (30 secs). Stir fry until semi cooked. Remove from wok and set aside in a bowl.

Heat wok again and add two tablespoons of sunflower oil (canola or vegetable will do too). Add thicker or harder vegetables: Spring onion, broccoli stems, beans (if using snow peas, add later). Stir fry. Add a bit of water (30ml). This will soon steam up which should give your veges a nice colour. Add soft veges. Ie Brocolli leaves/tops, mushrooms, corn spears. Add some generous dollops of oyster sauce and some splashes of soy. Put calamari back in and heat through. Now add chicken and cornflour stock. This will thicken quite rapidly. Remove from heat and serve immediately over rice.

There are many variations to this recipe. Try fish, cray, chicken, beef as well as different veges and tofu.

Let me know what you think.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008, 01:32 
Fanatical Senior Member

Hey Mate,

Didn't have the ingredients to cook up my squid with this recipe, but I will definitely try it in the future. I just cooked mine with a bit of salt and pepper first, till its nearly done. Then pour in some balsamic vinegar and lift up the saucepan and toss the calamari in it. It tastes bloody beautiful!