It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:20

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: Dive Reports - PPB
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 21:26 
General Committee Member

kiwi_scott wrote:

Banded morwongs like this one?

Is that not a Zebra fish, I've seen loads of them around Mornington and Mt Martha in the last few weeks, thought they were Luderick at 1st until I was told otherwise.

Cracking Squid!!

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 22:00 
Fanatical Senior Member

Fitzy_Eire wrote:
kiwi_scott wrote:

Banded morwongs like this one?

Is that not a Zebra fish, I've seen loads of them around Mornington and Mt Martha in the last few weeks, thought they were Luderick at 1st until I was told otherwise.

Cracking Squid!!

yes it's a zeb. Did you try eat it Fitzy? they taste so bad they'd stop an Irishman from eating any potatoes that were cooked in the same room as one.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 22:42 
Vic Records Officer

ossk wrote:
Sunday 18th:

Went to Queenscliff, looking for Squid and didnt find a single one :(

Ive been told today that its still probably too early to spot them in this area. Diving down to the grass beds we didnt see any egg clusters. Vis was quite average (~6-8 metres). Plenty of leather jacket and whiting around (and wrasse ofcourse). Only took a medium size leather jacket.

Decided to change location to around the corner. Strong current, but in the most flowing parts we found a large number luderick and sweep. I took a shot at a couple but I'm apparently an appalling shot and came up empty handed.

If nothing else it was a nice splash In the water. Also "salvaged" a hood... in case anyone's lost one around Q'Cliff recently...
. Defiantly Zebra fish mate not luderick!

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 23:16 
Fanatical Senior Member

Kallum ... re-read quote ... not about you
Lou ... I disagree, just like I disagree with catching more than you need even though you might be within the catch and bag limits

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2011, 12:57 
General Committee Member

Nah, havn't bothered with them, I saw that they had a bad rating allright.

Havn't had many potatoes since I came here anyway. I've substituted them for pies and sausage roles :P

Post subject: Re: TEST
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2011, 19:22 
Fanatical Senior Member

Everyone should try eating something once. People like different things. Some guys on the forum swear Zebra Fish taste good, I beg to differ but I gave it a crack.

The problem with shooting unidentified fish is that you shoot a 25cm King George thinking it is a Weed whiting because you don't know the difference, then walking up the beach you get done in by Fisheries. As spearos we do not need another story in the Herald Sun about some muppet who didn't do any research before going spearfishing. If you don't know what it is and what the size limit is on something, don't shoot it untiil you do some research and find out what it is. At least this bloke has the Sea fishes book. It's a pity he can't distinguish between a Magpie Morwong and a Banded.

My 2 cents.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2011, 19:46 
Novice Member

tomfraser wrote:
At least this bloke has the Sea fishes book. It's a pity he can't distinguish between a Magpie Morwong and a Banded.

My 2 cents.

I didn't confirm it was the magpie one. After looking at some more pictures the ones I saw on the weekend weren't banded morwongs, but I am still unsure what the fish I saw the first time was and at the time it looked similar to the morwong but obviously I was wrong. Seems like a lot of discussions over a rookie mistake.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2011, 21:40 
Fanatical Senior Member

Baby polish kingfish?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2011, 21:59 
Novice Member

Nah.
The ones I saw on the weekend were like a dark brown maybe a touch of green with at least one or two stripes on the side from top to bottom of a darker color.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2011, 00:40 
Fanatical Senior Member

Lou Hadju wrote:
Kallum wrote:
tomfraser wrote:
At least this bloke has the Sea fishes book. It's a pity he can't distinguish between a Magpie Morwong and a Banded.

My 2 cents.

Seems like a lot of discussions over a rookie mistake.

Yep.

I reckon some of you guys are way too hard on beginners.

And fish ID books, a lot of the time, just don't cut it.... unless they are actual photo's ... and even then, the photo is generally depicting the fish at close range, side on, flash used, motionless.... never the case in real life.

Tom, with all due respect.... how many articles have ever appeared in the Herald Sun about a spearo with an undersize fish?

For what its worth... the last time I spoke to the fisheries about these matters, the fine for taking an undersize fish was an on the spotter of $130. Hardly earth shattering stuff.

Cut the new guys some slack. Sure, one or two will fuck up, in a minor way, just like we all have.... but like the rest of us, they will learn quick and all will be good.

Fine, fair call about cutting them slack. I will if you don't tell them it is ok to shoot unidentified fish like you did earlier on this thread.

As for articles in the Herald Sun, all we need is one Lou. Have you not followed what is happening in the Australian political climate regarding fisheries of late. It would be naive to think that if someone got pulled up for shooting a couple of undersized fish that there was no chance it wouldn't find its way into the public eye. People will jump at every opportunity to have a go and provide reasons why fishers/spearfishers are 'irresponsible', 'ignorant' etc. etc. No use telling newer spearos that it is ok to shoot unidentified fish in Victorian waters. That is not the line that we as spearos should be taking full stop.

There is no reason why someone cannot at least look at the fisheries book and make sure they know the fish that have a limit. There is not a great deal of them. If you spend a little time studying those fish then you will be sure not to shoot something undersize that could get you in trouble. If we get this message out there from the onset then the sport will be seen more sustainably and responsibly in the public eye. No one likes walking down the beach and seeing fisherman or spearos walking to their car with undersized fish.

I will not argue with you about these subjects. I have made my point, you have made yours. Let's move on.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2011, 10:17 

south935 wrote:
Baby polish kingfish?

Baby dusky morwong

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2011, 13:16 
Fanatical Senior Member

Female boot fish?

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2011, 14:18 
Novice Member

I think i finally found it!

I was at the Melbourne zoo on cup day and within the seal enclosure they had a tank of some ordinary fish swimming around like a leatherjacket and a few small finger marks and i saw this one within them. Anyone know what it is?

Attachments:
photo(3).JPG
photo(3).JPG [ 48.21 KiB | Viewed 6222 times ]

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2011, 14:28 
Expert Member (SFD)

Female/juvy blue throat.

http://www.reefwatchvic.asn.au/maps/blue_throat_fc.htm