It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:14

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: curious and questions
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 16:59 

i've been basically swimming maybe 150 metres max from shore blackrock, stkilda,mt martha, frankston, brighton, and interested in catching bigger species, i've seen fish decent size in 2-3 metres water bascially.

where are all these super fish i see photos of on the forums?
do you's use a boat, how far out do you go? and if from a shore how far.

example at blackrock theres that boat ship thing herebus or something , think i went in line or a bit further than that, is that far enough? or would you swim out further than that.

i know you can see decent size fish in shallow water, but are there any reefs beyond that, hard to see on satellite or google earth i think. i've seen decent size fish at mt martha when i used burley once.sorry for rambling
say at williamstown, do you swim out a k, or at mt martha, blackrock etc- i'm just going from shore

basically just interested in seeing bigger species going from a shore dive, although i know you can see descent fish in shallow but that has been rare, i'm talking maybe 60cm plus, or am i dreaming. thanks again

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 17:03 
Fanatical Senior Member

WTF is "you's"? Answer my question and I'll answer your ones.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 17:06 
Administrator

First tip: Leave the bay.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 17:28 

greg mate,what do you think? im sure i would of got an f for grammar but were not in school.
you's as in - being general basically the guys that post on the forum (i've been reading this on and off past year) so i was generalising

your turn chief

thanks kurt, mean like serrento ? "back beaches". Cant you find decent size fish in the bay or you'd have to go a way out, like reefs beyond 150m from shore? and thanks for the advice on guns appreciate, my sister bought a picasso or something, i might save up just gotta save for a car as well any suggestions for a gun a bit cheaper

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 17:48 
Fanatical Senior Member

you can get decent fish anywhere dude. all of the spots you named can produce some great fish. you just need to put in the hard yards and gain enough experience to know what to target where, when and how.
no one is going to give you their "spot x", so your best bet is to just jump in and swim around looking for good places. remember less that dive a spot the better it is.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 18:08 
Administrator

youakija120988 wrote:
greg mate,what do you think? im sure i would of got an f for grammar but were not in school.
you's as in - being general basically the guys that post on the forum (i've been reading this on and off past year) so i was generalising

your turn chief

thanks kurt, mean like serrento ? "back beaches". Cant you find decent size fish in the bay or you'd have to go a way out, like reefs beyond 150m from shore? and thanks for the advice on guns appreciate, my sister bought a picasso or something, i might save up just gotta save for a car as well any suggestions for a gun a bit cheaper

If you're talking about "big fish" as in Kingfish, Blue fin tuna etc. Tuna species are far off shore, very far. The kingfish seem to be appearing everywhere, but many larger ones on ocean capes and points. Pelagics like snapper, trevally etc. can be found in the bay anywhere, and also on the ocean anywhere. Lots of great snapper have been shot in shallow water 10m off shore. You don't necessarily need to move heaps off shore to find great fish, but it doesn't hurt to explore (unless you're hit by a boat)

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 18:09 
Expert Member (SFD)

use berley mate and wait till the winter ends. then start over. fish life is dead over winter.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 19:55 
Fanatical Senior Member

OK, first things first. There is no such word as you's, youse, yuse or any other thing bogans love to use as a plural of you. Please desist because it makes you look as dumb as (name deleted).
Different places give you different results in close and out wide. Some species love the wash, others love the deep. The trick is to know what your likely to find where and adjust your style accordingly.
At Altona I could end up a km out but my best ever snapper was shot just near the yellow buoy to the left of the pier. At Willi my favourite reef is about 250m out. There are some spots where I doubt I would be 50m out and it's too deep for me.
The bay is pretty dead over winter but there are still good fish around if you put in the time, you are much better of down the coast this time of year though.
I'm guessing your just a young bloke, which is good. it means you will have the time to practice. Be observant when you dive and remember what you see and where, even write it down in a diary if it helps. Spearing can be a bit unrewarding for raw beginners but if you keen to learn it won't take long until you get good catches.

Last edited by Greg on 26 Jul 2011, 00:01, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 00:00 
Fanatical Senior Member

Punctuation corrected for you Lou. Not proofing my own stuff has made me look silly before when I'm just typing as thoughts enter my head.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 14:28 
Fanatical Senior Member

youakija120988 wrote:
i've been basically swimming maybe 150 metres max from shore blackrock, stkilda,mt martha, frankston, brighton, and interested in catching bigger species, i've seen fish decent size in 2-3 metres water bascially.

You seem to be diving Blackrock a bit and there you can find
very good size salmon in good numbers as well as big snook and sizeable snapper, flathead and leatherjackets, bluethroat, garfish. These are good eating fish and can be seen of quite a good size for their species ... but they are not the 10 kg + king you see in some photos in the forum
For that I would recommend gaining more experience, gear up properly and hook up with a charter and then, after the exposure to the big fish on the charter, take it from there and NEVER ALONE

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 14:49 
Vic Records Officer

If where ur going u can manage to find good reef systems, big ledges, deepish drop offs- Berley like crazy! Take a block of pillies with you!

Greg- glad my phone has spell check

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 17:12 
Fanatical Senior Member

Watto wrote:
Greg- glad my phone has spell check

Your old and ugly enough to look after yourself Watto. For someone like Youaki who will be looking for work in a couple of years it's a different story. How many people do you know that don't speak properly and have good jobs?

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 14:48 

greg seriously... its the internet its habit.thanks for answering the questions though. i'm 22. and depends what job

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 17:04 

another quick question, reckon its worth spearfishing in winter? or just have to use heaps of burley and right spots

also serrento back beach is better than bay is it?fish wise, but would just need low swell right? and how far out are these crays/lobster from serrento might try it when get a weightbelt

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 17:39 
Fanatical Senior Member

Before you start killing random shit to chop up or using a kg of pillies to get a 600gm pinkie work out what your trying to attract and the places to do it. Just dropping a shitload of burley at any old random spot won't do you much good.