It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:19

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 11:49 
Expert Member (SFD)

Hi guys,

I'm planning a 10-14 days Tassie trip in Jan next year with couple of my friends, although they are not quite interest to get wet, I still hopping there are couple afternoon I can spend time in the sea :)

I'm so amazed from the videos in youtube, such rich sea life and beautiful beaches, I guess Tassis should be a great place to get wet!

ATM I still don't have a spear gun, thinking to bring my hand spear along, is there any good places for shore dive? Is Bruny Island worth to go? Or I can find similar places around the east coast?

I've check the DPID site said that no fishing license is need "with a rod and line", but do I need one for spearfishing?

Cheers~

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 12:08 

I was down there a few years ago and cant remember a lot about where i went (i got one dive in) but I'm pretty sure you need a license specifically for catching crays, and possibly another for abalone. i could be wrong as it was a while ago and my memory might be off or rules might have changed but check it out if your planning on getting abs or crays. And I'm not too sure about spearfishing but maybe just try and call a fisheries office and have a chat :)

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2013, 18:09 
Novice Member

You need a license for both cray and abalone unsure if you can get short term ones though a full license is about $50 then each unit you want to use are $6-7 each so cray and ab would add $12-14. From what I know you don't need a license to spearfish but there are a couple of species off limits 2 I know definitely are boarfish and bream. Full details of all license etc can be found here http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/We ... YB2WH?open

There is good shore diving along a lot of tassies east coast from eaglehawk neck all the way up to eddystone point. Bicheno is nice but there is a marine sanctuary there so you will need to know its boundaries before taking anything from around there. My brother does a bit of spearing out of St Helens chasing squid, bastard trumpeter and sweep mostly last time I dived with him we ended up finding 20+ squid jigs at a local squid hotspot.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 06:38 
Fanatical Senior Member

im sure there are some old posts on spearfishing tazzy. best bet is jump on google maps and scope that shit out.!

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 17:50 
Expert Member (SFD)

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for the info :D

After go thru the DPID web site(again), finally I figure out what rstim & jai said... I need to get a standard license, then add a special license for cray, and ab... @__@ that's not cheap for couple dives but I never have any luck with cray in victoria, hopefully it's well worth it! I am so wanted for cray !!!!