It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:47

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 14:25 
Novice Member

Hi everyone. Just got myself all the spearfishing gear and have been looking at places in the Sth Eastern PPB region to get some beginner practice before i try my luck on the back beaches.

Went down off the left of Brighton Pier last night, couldn't see much when i went far out so stuck to the shallow areas. Only saw a few million puffer fish and a big ray.

Was thinking of going down to Mordialloc after work tonight at about 6pm for a bit of practice. I've read that some people go out on the north side of the pier.

Taking into consideration the 30 meter exclusion zone, how much further than the end of the pier do you head out at Mordi? Do you just keep heading out into deeper water or do you have a look around the shallows/about as far out as the end of the pier?

If you know the answers for Middle Brighton pier as well then that would be great because i had no idea there either!

Cheers

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 16:41 
Forum Member

hey mate I've gotten fish @ south road reef and it's about 1km south of Brighton Pier.

it's very much for beginners just a small reef in the shallows, no point going further out than the reef !

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 22:57 
Novice Member

Look on google maps. You'll see a big reef system on the right side of the pier. Swim around and see what you find, can be lot so variety there. Pick your day with low wind, can get very choppy there which will cause bad vis.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 15:44 
Novice Member

Cheers for the help guys. I've just gotten google maps up and it makes things a lot easier for both locations.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 21:44 
Forum Member

rain is a killer for vis at brighton and mordi due to a storm water outlet at brighton and the creek at mordi