It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:06

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2014, 14:44 
Novice Member

G'day, just started back into spearing and I'm diving at Williamstown before work. I get in the water at sunrise and vis is always shizer! I jumped in yesterday morning after an average of 5 knot winds over the past week and still couldn't see anything. I checked that the sun was indeed up, and also that my mask wasn't fogged up, and I had both things right. I'm jumping in at the steps to the west of Willy beach, am I better to go round to Gellibrand? What conditions do I need for a good dive there? Cheers.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2014, 15:26 
Novice Member

I dive Willy quite often and I have been lucky with the weather and conditions and had good visibility in the past from the footy ground around to the beach. I don't think the weather conditions have been great for diving lately in the area. Dived Altona/Seaholm for somewhere new last weekend and could see then end of my gun, so we jumped out. Tried again yesterday and wasn't much better on the surface, cleared up quite a bit once on the bottom, the other guys I dived with went for another session in Willy and said conditions were just as bad even though they picked up a few fish.

I think a couple of flat days or northerlies would clear it up, however every other day recently has been a Southerly and chopping it up and blowing the silt in.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2014, 17:44 
Fanatical Senior Member

I have dived from the time ball tower all the way around to the Jawbone reserve (rife range). its all good.
You will find there is a super fine silt from the Yarra river that coats the seaweed. Southerly wind will chern it up. Need northerlies & no rain run off. Sometimes it will stay dirty for weeks.
good luck.
oZ

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2014, 06:43 
Fanatical Senior Member

If you swim off shore from Willy , due south for about 60ks you will hit Rye. From here it is all good.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2014, 09:53 
Novice Member

Thanks for that. I'll persist and see if my luck improves. It's a howling northerly now so I'll give it a quick bash. I spoke to a local last night at Willy beach and he told me to go to cottage by the sea. I live in Geelong and it seems every second person dives there. There must be a cue to get in at slack tide!

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2014, 18:07 
Fanatical Senior Member

Queenscliff and Williamstown are very different! :roll:
dive the queenscliff and lonny bight on out going tides.
if you live in Gtown.
I would not bother with Williamstown. its dirty, non interesting diving.
Sometimes there are snapper, flaties, whiting and salmon. don't waste your fuel there are better places closer to home.
A buddy TRENT! shot a rat Kingy in Willy 3-4 years ago in filthy water.!
WATCH OUT FOR BOATS AND JET SKYS IN WILLY!!!!!!
oZ

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2014, 07:27 
Novice Member

I'm only going in willy coz I work there and can get a couple of hours in before work. I think I'll give it a miss for a couple of weeks, otherwise I'll get the shits up.