It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:40

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Flinders newbie
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2016, 15:47 
Novice Member

Hi, this is my first post here so forgive us if I make any mistakes.

I have always dabbled in spear fishing with my sling and a cheapie bcf 750 gun with clapped out rubber and after spending many hrs at flinders above water trying to land squid unsuccessfully and trawling up occasional snook in the yak I thought I would give underwater a crack.

Heading out I was amazed at how many weedy sea dragons are out there, they are like rats ha ha, I was also amazed at the lack of squid that I have spent hrs trying to catch, no wonder I was unsuccessful.

As far as spearing goes I saw a few morwong managing to spear a nice 34 odd cm one. It went alright having only previously eaten banded morwong. There were plenty of grass whiting schools but mostly too small to bother, having also never eaten grass whiting I shot one to give it a go and fluked a shot straight through its eyes. went pretty good on the chew so might give some more a crack in the future. There where plenty of wrasse but pretty small, I have never bothered eating them but might give fish cakes a crack if I see a big one next time. Plenty of magpie perch and scaly fin but did not know what they were at the time so left them be, next time I will have a crack at the magpie perch. Also saw the odd zebra, old wife and undersized sweep.

Had such a good time that I think I am hooked so have ordered a brand new Rob Allen and also a float, have never used one which is probably a big no no so thought I better do the right thing. The gun arrived today which has me pumped to head out, it's a 120 which is probably too big but I travel up north quite often for work so wanted an all rounder and read it was the best size. I also want to complete a mission paddling my kayak out to where I can snag some scollops so if anyone does not minding sharing some spot that would be good :)

Hope you have enjoyed the report

Muller

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 157.39 KiB | Viewed 3527 times ]

Post subject: Re: Flinders newbie
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2016, 16:19 
Novice Member

Couple more snaps

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 108.14 KiB | Viewed 3522 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 53.24 KiB | Viewed 3522 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 140.58 KiB | Viewed 3522 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 121.01 KiB | Viewed 3522 times ]

Post subject: Re: Flinders newbie
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016, 09:38 
Forum Member

Good work mate, getting out in it is what its about!