It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:45

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: Flinders
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 22:02 
Expert Member (SFD)

It wasn't even 1 photo from a scuba diver. The article in the Age that started all this absolute madness used an old pic of an eastern blue groper from NSW!

Recreational fisherman in this state should never forget how this ban came about. It was a ban based on lies and green propaganda. No science whatsoever. And it was scary how quickly it was implemented. It sets a dangerous precedent.

And I couldn't agree more blacky. Our size & bag limits are a disgrace!

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 06:39 
Fanatical Senior Member

Crazydan wrote:
We would catch, at least, buckets of squid and cuda every time we went out. These days, I'm lucky to catch a salmon or a few squid at dawn in the same time

'Who would need that much of one fish!?'

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 09:06 
Expert Member (SFD)

It was 1 photo of a juvenile western blue GROPER,taken by a scuba diver at Popes eye I believe, that's what started the whole campaign. Then the media did what they do all to well, they wrote misleading stories with incorrect information. The rest is history!

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 09:53 
Expert Member (SFD)

http://vnpa.org.au/page/nature-conserva ... n-victoria Someone needs to contact these pricks and get then to retract the ' Spearfisherman wiped them out' comment :evil:

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 18:12 
Novice Member

So why don't you all band together with other communities and gather some facts about current populations and put an end to this ban?

Or

Keep cherry picking comments and shit fight in your own forum with members which are all supposedly on the same team?

I know I'm going to get hated on and possibly banned for this, but I don't care. Caesio was just sharing an experience and stated an opinion (see original post), and now has been bashed for it for something that happened in the past. Real professional. I was told by many people that SFD was the best club to join, great group of blokes. Maybe I made the wrong choice. Maybe this sport isn't for me. Maybe I'm a dick, but I couldn't care, going by the way this thread has been blown out of proportion and fuelled by immature tit for tat, cherry picking and non factual opinion, I don't think I would fit in anyway.

If you're not happy with the current ban do something about it. If you have tried, then you have obviously given up, because the ban is still in place.

As for scuba divers vs spearos...well I'm not 18yo any more so I couldn't care less about who started what and how 'bubble makers' are to blame and how spearos are superior, blah blah blah.

anyways

Hats off to you all.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 18:28 
Fanatical Senior Member

The only non factual statements have come from the other side. Old wounds were opened and the facts as we know them ignored.
The current populations of the BG have nothing to do with this, it is the premise that the population was somehow wiped out in the past is the issue. If, as the VNPA and others suggest, populations are "recovering_, why institute a ban at all?
We never ban anyone from having an opinion .... I personally love to argue..... particularly when I am ? we are correct.
SCUBA divers as a whole have not been blamed for anything... only the rampant, over zealous, easily manipulated green variety. Many in the freediving world also fall into this category.. so don't feed fuel to a non existent fire that there is a rift between the two groups, for that too is bullshit.
We are nice blokes, we do know the facts behind this ban, moves are underway to rectify this injustice. You are just not privy to the internal workings behind the scenes.
You also appear to have come in all guns blazing and may have made up your mind without full knowledge of the topic also.
As far as the club goes... feel free to be a part of it or apart from it. Your choice.
I don't know who you are so I am indifferent.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 18:43 
Novice Member

I admit my knowledge of anything here is non existent, but this is a public forum for any stranger to view. It could of just been left alone or you could of said exactly what you just did and put an end to the 'banter' at any time and all parties would of left a little more educated then when they arrived. Don't blame me for fuelling a non existent fire. Like you said, the wound was reopened causing the fire. I entered after the fire was burning. I'm just looking at this from a newby/outside perspective. I have a lot to learn and I am trying my best to learn. But if I hadn't of said anything and you hadn't of explained what you just did, then how are fellow newbs supposed to learn anything from what's been displayed here. To me it just looks like people flexing their egos. No offense.

I don't mean to offend anyone, I really don't, but I am getting a serious negative vibe from all who are commenting on this thread. I am really sorry to hear of the injustice that happened and I hope the truth comes to light and all is put back in it's spot.

Sorry

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 18:48 
Expert Member (SFD)

You have been 'BASHED' Hahahahaha are you really that precious mate? I haven't read comment directed at you personally! We have just expressed our disappointment in the whole process and how it came about, no personal attacks what so ever! As for sitting on our hands and doing nothing..... Young Watto(as he already told you) has had the ball rolling for months now, he's spoken to the right people and WE will do the study that was promised but never done. I personally already have footage of grouper and will keep compiling more till we have enough to argue our point. Don't take any of this as personal, I hate everyone equally 8)

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 19:00 
Novice Member

If you read what I wrote, I actually said Caesio got bashed

Secondly, at time of posting did I know any of what you just said? OF COURSE I DIDN'T!!!!! but well done for making me out to be an idiot. Doing your part as a representative of this club. I feel right at home. cheers!

Like Brett said, I went in all gunz blazing with an opinion on my original reply. Yes I admit I'm a dick for carrying on like this. So what. Does that change the fact that you guys argued with a fellow spearo over something that wasn't their fault? And so you understand, the fellow spearo I refer to is the original poster.

Yes I am precious, thank you. You may change my name to Princess.

Are you precious too? You sound pretty butt hurt about this whole ordeal as well.

Please continue to make me out to be a dummy.

I am enjoying this over my beer.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 19:13 
Fanatical Senior Member

Beer!!!!?? you're kidding!. This conversation is for Rum drinkers only.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 19:16 
Novice Member

Damn it. I pretty sure that's where I've gone wrong! And it was a Stella Artois...

"The preciousness is strong with this one"

haha

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 19:24 
Expert Member (SFD)

....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 48.89 KiB | Viewed 4668 times ]

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 19:36 
Novice Member

When Yoda gets involved, you shut up and move along.

I recede back unto thy pebble that I once stray.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 19:50 
Expert Member (SFD)

As you can see there is a lot of passion from members when it comes to the BG issue. Their passion is good. It comes from members who have a deep love of the ocean, an unconditional love of the ocean and these members want our fishery managed professionally based on science and fact. Thats the club I want to be a part of.

You won't make friends on here putting up links to VNPA propaganda nor will you make friends backing that propaganda.