It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:55

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: Flinders
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016, 22:04 
Novice Member

kiwi_scott wrote:
None, that's why I know where to find blue groper

You know?
Good on ya mate! However, as for SCUBA diving survey you just openly admitted that you simply don't know that you are talking about 8) .

- and than apnoea.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016, 22:16 
Novice Member

Watto wrote:
Lmao scuba serveys?
I'm not trying to have a go at you or anything but how much do you know about Victorian blue groper?
I have been in discussion with a marine biologist "Dr Matt Koopman" regarding this bullshit ban that is in place.

LMAO too, mate.
I'm not trying to have a go at you also but where did you get this strange idea that I am trying to say that I am familiar with this fish?
Wild imagination? Or you simply didn't bother to read my posts? Or you prefer to rush to attack? 8)
Question for you too, mate.
How many lmao scuba surveys you participated to laugh? :P

- and than apnoea.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016, 22:22 
Expert Member (SFD)

Give up mate. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 00:12 
Novice Member

Octopussy wrote:
Give up mate. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

"Words, words, words", mate.
At least I got the idea who I am talking to :P

- and than apnoea.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 12:34 
Fanatical Senior Member

Reminds me of the story Puko told me about the Grey Nurse Survey at Seal rock a few years ago.
He was hired to take out a posse of Pseudo Scientists to photograph the dorsal fins of the sharks to identify and survey the number of individuals in residence.
Well of course they muddled and kerfuddled as Tanker Wankers do but surprising they did actually manage to plant themselves on the sea bed for a short time before they ran out of air.
Pucko free diving about chuckled as he observe large Grey Nurse Sharks passing hither and tither behind their backs and in I plain view but the Posse did not seem to be able to see them? Perhaps they had seen a nudibranch! They managed their way back to the boat with a few rather pathetic photos. Puko told them of the Sharks that they did not see and offered to jump in and take a couple of photos. Thinking him to be an ordinary man and not thinking properly due to exhaustion from their "days work" they agreed. Pucko sealed off and was back in a flash with a big bunch of photos. The reaction from the 'Scientists'- "Shit mate, you'll put us out of a job!!!", he put himself out of a job....

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 16:26 
Novice Member

P.Diddy wrote:
Reminds me of the story Puko told me about the Grey Nurse Survey at Seal rock a few years ago.
He was hired to take out a posse of Pseudo Scientists to photograph the dorsal fins of the sharks to identify and survey the number of individuals in residence.
Well of course they muddled and kerfuddled as Tanker Wankers do but surprising they did actually manage to plant themselves on the sea bed for a short time before they ran out of air.
Pucko free diving about chuckled as he observe large Grey Nurse Sharks passing hither and tither behind their backs and in I plain view but the Posse did not seem to be able to see them? Perhaps they had seen a nudibranch! They managed their way back to the boat with a few rather pathetic photos. Puko told them of the Sharks that they did not see and offered to jump in and take a couple of photos. Thinking him to be an ordinary man and not thinking properly due to exhaustion from their "days work" they agreed. Pucko sealed off and was back in a flash with a big bunch of photos. The reaction from the 'Scientists'- "Shit mate, you'll put us out of a job!!!", he put himself out of a job....

A perfect description of 'Pseudo Scientists' and 'Pseudo SCUBA Divers'. Bloody pathetic amateurs in both!
Still, fast moving, agile freedivers can make a great effective team with real scientists and SCUBA divers. A good example: tagging a common thresher by the team of SCUBA divers and freediver with a speargun with a transmitter tag.

- and than apnoea.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 22:03 
Expert Member (SFD)

Caesio wrote:
kiwi_scott wrote:
None, that's why I know where to find blue groper

You know?
Good on ya mate! However, as for SCUBA diving survey you just openly admitted that you simply don't know that you are talking about 8) .

I guess I don't. Maybe you should pass your superior knowledge of fish surveys onto your mates at the VNPA, they seem to have the Mornington Peninsula piers well covered but I guess that boring SW facing surf zone probably doesn't have any fish in it anyway. Or maybe just no parking?

Attachment:
Marine-map.jpg
Marine-map.jpg [ 82.48 KiB | Viewed 4207 times ]

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 23:58 
Novice Member

kiwi_scott wrote:
I guess I don't. Maybe you should pass your superior knowledge of fish surveys onto your mates at the VNPA, they seem to have the Mornington Peninsula piers well covered but I guess that boring SW facing surf zone probably doesn't have any fish in it anyway. Or maybe just no parking?

You wrote:
"I guess I don't."
Huh?
Beg you pardon, you obviously don't participated in any scientific survey. Ever in your life. Therefore you are talking about things you have no idea at all, kiwi_scott.

"Maybe you should pass your superior knowledge of fish surveys onto your mates at the VNPA"
First of all, I don't have mates at the VNPA. Not a one.
Here we go again: you keep talking about things you have no idea.
Next, let me me explain you very simple thing: where is no such nonsense as "superior knowledge" or "inferior knowledge".
"Either knowledge and power or ignorance and impotence"
like they say.
Sorry, mate this talk already got too childish and pointless.

Contrary to you I don't mean to upset you personally. Ban on taking EBG? Get real, I have nothing to do with this legislation. 8)

- and than apnoea.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 00:11 
Fanatical Senior Member

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 98.92 KiB | Viewed 4197 times ]

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 00:13 
Expert Member (SFD)

Caesio wrote:
"Either knowledge and power or ignorance and impotence"

We might agree on something after all

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 08:20 
Expert Member (SFD)

You will not find a single EASTERN BLUEGROPER unless you are east of Wilsons prom! They have NEVER been west of the prom and our records provide that. In fact it was a member of this club(a marine biologist) that had to inform fisheries and The government that we only have juvenile WESTERN BLUE GROPER. So the Gentle giants of the sea NEVER entered our neck of the woods. I Could take u to 50+ sites across Vic and show you hundreds of western blue grouper, many of those sites within 100kms of melbourne! I seen atleast 10 yesterday while working the flinders area

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 20:15 
Expert Member (SFD)

Scuba survey, all of 1hr. Two hrs with a second tank. Limited ground covered because of cumbersome gear. Limited time in the water. Limited time in shallow water where BG often lurk.
Vs
Spearfishing. 4-6hrs in the water in session. Massively more ground covered actively searching for fish. More dive sites visited in more remote locations.

Fisheries didn't even know which BG species existed in vic and where until a spearo (also a biologist) smacked one which now sits in Melbourne museum several years back.

This ban is fucking bullshit.

If you want to sprook off about protecting fish then consider this:
Reduce bag limits such as only2 Kings over 90cm. Only one bluefin tuna. 5 snapper not 10. 10 whiting not 20. Raise the size limit on snapper to 35cm, trevally to 25cm etc, etc as per the limits in S.A.
Get rid of this towards 1million crap! Why put more load on the fisheries by introducing more rec fishos to the sport when Lots don't know or respect the rules.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 21:16 
Novice Member

Blacky wrote:
Scuba survey, all of 1hr. Two hrs with a second tank. Limited ground covered because of cumbersome gear. Limited time in the water. Limited time in shallow water where BG often lurk.
Vs
Spearfishing. 4-6hrs in the water in session. Massively more ground covered actively searching for fish. More dive sites visited in more remote locations.

Fisheries didn't even know which BG species existed in vic and where until a spearo (also a biologist) smacked one which now sits in Melbourne museum several years back.

This ban is fucking bullshit.

If you want to sprook off about protecting fish then consider this:
Reduce bag limits such as only2 Kings over 90cm. Only one bluefin tuna. 5 snapper not 10. 10 whiting not 20. Raise the size limit on snapper to 35cm, trevally to 25cm etc, etc as per the limits in S.A.
Get rid of this towards 1million crap! Why put more load on the fisheries by introducing more rec fishos to the sport when Lots don't know or respect the rules.

When I was a kid going fishing with my Dad (20 years ago), I can remember big schools of different species everywhere around the piers. We would catch, at least, buckets of squid and cuda every time we went out. These days, I'm lucky to catch a salmon or a few squid at dawn in the same time (and yes I realise I'm crap at fishing).

My point is,

When I got back into fishing a few years ago, I obviously got my licence and I was actually shocked by the catch limits that are in place. I always think 'Who would need that much of one fish!?' So I fully agree with what you are saying. But banning/unbanning something needs real fact/stats, which I'm sorry to say, I haven't seen here in this thread. But, I would take sides with the people putting in the hours rather than taking the internet's version of what reality is. Although I am an absolute newb and a no-body at freediving/spearing and also new to scuba, my opinion is, that Spearos are more likely to see more than scuba divers over the long term and in general.

Logic would tell us that spearos can get out more, get to more varied places, and stay in the water longer than that of the majority of scuba divers. So by default, would see more and/or cover more ground...over the long term.

For a scuba diver to do what a spearo does in a day on the water, they would need how many tanks on the boat as well as how many service intervals/interval time?

It's starting to sound like a battle between Spearo and scuba diver. Why?

Just because they are both water sports, doesn't make them even remotely the same...

IMO! lol

Sorry for rant.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 21:32 
Expert Member (SFD)

Because it took 1, that's right 1 scuba diver with a camera to have Groper taken away from us! And from that spearos copped a roasting in the major papers.... One head line read " Gentle giants make come back after being wiped out by Spearfisherman".

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 21:56 
Novice Member

I highly doubt one scuba diver, all by his lonesome, pushed a government body to ban the take of one species of fish. It was more likely a group of do-gooders that provoked the media to print baseless stories, that then dominoe'd the government body into taking action.