It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:10

All times are UTC+11:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous 140 41 42 43 44 Next
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 16:22 
Novice Member

I too headed west for a few days. Got three dives in. First up was the east side of Cape Otway a few km east of the lighthouse. Only took out my mask and snorkel, so didn't really commit to the dive, only in for 10 mins, swell was mild but churning around the beach and inlet area. Water was pretty cold, and I didn't take a wetsuit out which is another reason for the short dive. Several salmon flashed past me, and plenty of other small bait fish around and one snapper. Pretty good fish life for such a short dive. Vis was 1-5m and sandy. I didn't make it over any reef structure so no crays, nor any reef species seen.

Dived the 12 Apostles Marine national park, so no taking, only looking. Swell was a consistent rolling tumble, maybe 3ft. Sand plumes for days around any of the noticeable rock or reef structures, and the water looked mildly hazy into the blue. But found a sheltered area, water looked much calmer and we had 6-7m vis. Took the fins this time, but still no wetsuit, so it was a very short 20min dive. First rock ledge I looked under, nothing. Second, two crays. Dived more ledges and saw plenty more crays, including a 5m wide crack system that held a dozen guys from well undersized to 1.5kg, all crowded on top of each other like Tasmania and WA. Usual reef species for the fish. Pretty good for a 20 min dive covering only a small area.

Final dive eastern inside protected cove on Cape Bridgewater, 10km west of Portland. We had a look see on the west side of this cape, the swell was a meaty 4-5ft, and yet it looked calm at this level!! I would imagine, as i have seen on swell net, that it get very wild around this area.

The eastern side was calm and very dive-able. 2 hours diving this time. Rock structure was very much like Tasmania with granite boulders and similar terrain. There were a few ledges around and a few holes in the rocks. We stayed shallow, saw a number of undersized crays, nothing on size, but wasn't overly committed to cray searching, plenty of the usual reef species, a few small schools of 10cm silver fish and a hungry seal. Also saw a blue bottle jelly fish. Lots of marine life here, but I reckon the crays would get worked by the boats pretty hard, judging by the cray pots out there. I bet it's good diving further around the cape. Limited access for shore dives though.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 09:00 
Expert Member (SFD)

Got down to Port Fairy during the week. Conditions reasonable with a touch of rain but no wind. Had a ball hunting whiting.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 36.11 KiB | Viewed 6976 times ]

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 14:47 
Vic Records Officer

Took the one and only Doc out to visit my cray holes at port fairy this morning, after pulling our 4 crays in under half an hour it was time to get out and head across for the sub-junior weigh in...happy days

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 278.28 KiB | Viewed 6847 times ]

Last edited by Watto on 25 Feb 2015, 20:08, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 20:33 
Novice Member

I am oh too jealous Watto!

I want crays so baddddd!! Haven't even been able to hit the bloody water yet this year!

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2015, 21:32 
Novice Member

Went down to my shack at Portland for a couple of days diving, got some nice greenies, I then went looking for some kings no luck. I was about ten klm east of the breakwater and seen some birds diving up ahead, and to my amazement there were tuna jumping out of the water everywhere. But as you got near them to jump into the water they would disappear, very frustrating and hard when you are on your own. They were not big about ten to fifteen kgs.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 10:24 
Expert Member (SFD)

Shipwreck Coast Skindivers, Pete & Mac Riddle, took Trent and I for a tuna dive on Saturday. Fish were busting up all day 10km from the coast. They were not easy to spear with the fish going deep everytime the boat approached and they were not responding to the pillies. We managed 5 in the end. Young Mac is a bloody tuna whisperer and got his two straight up in the morning.

Attachments:
IMG_1319.JPG
IMG_1319.JPG [ 195.3 KiB | Viewed 6351 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2015, 21:00 
Expert Member (SFD)

Just because the Forum gets a touch drab through the following months I thought I had better post today's quarry. Got home from work about 1:30pm and booted it to a local reef. Cloud made it difficult to judge vis, ended up being 7-8m. Yes water is cold, but nice with the right gear. Took some pillies and managed to entice some snapper into view. Most were small with one larger model not playing the game. Heaps of bull Crays about. Large one went 3.180kg , turns out I took one almost the same size 2year ago on the 21st June at the same reef. Good way to finish the day today. Cheers

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 174.92 KiB | Viewed 6247 times ]

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2015, 13:08 
Vic Records Officer

Went accross to the west for the SCS presso night on Saturday, planned to get in for a dive early due to Sunday being a write off.
After a slow start not being able to find some quality crays we got onto a few,
Last one of the day was in a hole in the White water, after chasing it from one end of the hole to the other I got a hand on its horn, put the other hand in but there was no other horn to grab instead grabbing the kill claw and tearing it off, then the horn fell off so reaching in as quick as possible I grabbed a hand full of legs and they've all come off. In need of air I've surfaced given Mitch the legs and horn then straight back down to find him sitting in the hole facing the other way so dragged him straight out by his tail.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 80.83 KiB | Viewed 6162 times ]

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2015, 18:04 
Expert Member (SFD)

Got out Sat morning for a swim. Took the boat across to the surfcoast. Water is bloody cold. Not a lot of fish about but plenty of Crays.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 140.34 KiB | Viewed 6050 times ]

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2015, 14:33 
Expert Member (SFD)

Nice fish...what ramp do you use to put the boat in? I thought the surf coast is pretty limited in ramp options?

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2015, 19:42 
Expert Member (SFD)

Barwon heads or head out the rip and turn right.
Can use Torquay dependant on boat size and your experience on sand.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2015, 17:59 
Expert Member (SFD)

Cool thanks, I will have to go for a drive and have a look.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 18:29 
Fanatical Senior Member

Exactly where did you get those "Zebs" Blacky?

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 21:11 
Expert Member (SFD)

Not sure I should divulge such info Pdiddy.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 23:55 
Novice Member

Mmmmmmmmmm niggas fark there good eating. Nice work im heading up to sydney this week might smash a few while im there

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous 140 41 42 43 44 Next