It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:36

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: garfishing avalon
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 23:21 
Fanatical Senior Member

had a decent days fishing at avalon for garfish. ended up with 58 in total between two of us. caught using small floats with longshank hooks and prawn for bait. Most action was when the wind made the water a bit choppy and they seemed to hit the bait harder. when the water was calm they barely mouth the bait and are hard to hook.
early in the day we saw a couple of dolphins attacking bait fish with heaps of birds dive bombing out of the sky around them. All in all was a very nice day by the water.

Attachments:
AVALON GARFISH.jpg
AVALON GARFISH.jpg [ 102.44 KiB | Viewed 5459 times ]

Post subject: Re: garfishing avalon
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 15:25 
Administrator

That's an assload of gars.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 15:57 
Fanatical Senior Member

whats the lone ranger (sorry leigh if i spelt that wrong) up the back. a bit hard to tell with the photo.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 19:57 
Fanatical Senior Member

its a yellow eye mullet. the only one for the day. one zeb and a couple of small sweep were also caught but released.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 22:35 
Fanatical Senior Member

How many bloody pics of a shitload of fish have to be deleted before you guys get the message?

I'm not a mod anymore so this is just from a members point of view. Maybe it's because your not that it pisses me off that the pic makes the club look bad. I know fucken whinge whinge whinge but it's been said a million bloody times, good effort, I'd be proud of it but how does it not enter all you nufty's heads that it's probably not a good pic for the forum?

Maybe you guys don't give a shit, it's not like you haven't been told in the past?

Damn... feels good to just say what I'm thinking on here for once!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 22:46 
Administrator

I don't agree in this case Rhino, as they are under the bag limit, they are line-fishing, not spearfishing. And this section is only visible to logged in members.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 23:01 
Fanatical Senior Member

You're wrong champ, any greenie can become a member! If it were member of the club then fair enough. How's this pic any different to muzz's squid, the shitload of pinkies or the shitload of whiting that were deleted? The latter two were fishing and under their bags! Legal or not looks like shit, when I used to fish we caught bags like that all the time. Don't have a problem with that but we've set a precedent about pics like this so why's it any different?

I think you wrote that because you've already posted in the thread!

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 23:09 
Fanatical Senior Member

think about that next time someone posts close to or bag limit sbt's or kingies weighing in total well into the tens of kilo's enough to feed a huge family for a month. I'll get about three feeds out of the 29 fish i took home to my family and my mate the same. don't have to browse very far from this thread to find bag limit catch pics. It honestly didn't even cross my mind that someone would take offence to this pic. perhaps if my name was in blue it would be fine......
if its in the opinion of the club leaders this is innapropriate i'll remove the pics and ask my membership to the sfd site be removed too.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2010, 23:28 
Fanatical Senior Member

Faaarrrrrkkkk! Again, it's not about the bag limit! Just looks bad, if your name was in "blue" you'd probably realise that!

SBT, Kingies etc don't look bad to the public. That's like saying that there's no issues with posting a pic of 800 fish that don't have a bag limit! Surely you've seen some of the other pics that have been put up then deleted for the same reason, if not I apologize but I still think common sense would make you consider it! It's about someone who doesn't have a clue coming across the pic and going "Shit that's a lot of fish!" They probably wouldn't even have a bloody clue about the bag limits, but they'd associate the club with a pic of too many fish in their eyes.

Sort of pic that that dick B@#en would use to discredit us!

Why would you ask to be removed from the forum for something like this?
"I'm taking my ball and going home!"

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2010, 01:23 
Fanatical Senior Member

I think it is something that the club is going to have to address at some point. Do we try and 'hide' what we do for fear of giving green groups 'ammunition' against us, or does this in turn work against the fishing community (aka smaller and smaller catches become socially 'acceptable' to the point that it is no longer acceptable to take a feed home)? Given it is ignorance to the sustainability of fish stocks (ie it is probably more sustainable to take a bag limit of gars than a bag limit of bandeds whether it 'looks' better or not), are we just perpetuating this by pretending that we don't on a rare occasion take bag limit (or near to) catches?

I am a little torn, I can see that the club does not want to be associated with wasting fish stocks, perhaps a sub note that all fish were eaten within x days, how they were cooked or something along those lines would be appropriate?

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2010, 02:30 

i am with claymore that was a great post mate

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2010, 11:28 
Fanatical Senior Member

I reckon that's what's wrong with the world today! Too much political bullshit, it's been fine in the past. Too many young guys wanting to make their stamp on the world at others expense. Why should it change, we're on thin ice as it is so why change whats keeping us afloat? So what if a pic gets removed every now and then, better to be safe than sorry I reckon! Clubs been running for a pretty long time now, seems to be working so far. Could only cause more problems in my eyes!

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2010, 12:32 
Fanatical Senior Member

i'm opting out of this... 8)

Last edited by ozdog on 14 Jul 2010, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2010, 12:58 
Fanatical Senior Member

Yeah i agree, whats the big deal ... Good catch ...

But then again my name isn't in "Blue" so how would i realise whats good / bad ...

I do see your point Rhino, someone taking the picture out of context. BUT he did state that it was between 2 people and they are Gars ie very small meal wise ...

I think it has been taken too far. Sure someone could come and see this pic and say gees all they do is get massive amounts of fish what a terrible club ..... but really !!!

I remember you and a couple of others getting a heap of Kingies and posting a photo of them a while ago. I remember because it was the most kingies that i had see a group get on here, and was fairly Jealous...

Anyways my 2cents worth of this thread ....

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2010, 13:28 
Fanatical Senior Member

Being non-members we do need to respect how the blues want us to behave in here, if we're not a member then we're really just guests. I do think we need to be conscious of what we post up here due to the public’s opinion. However we also need to consider that public and potential members logging on would be more displeased with the arguing and shit fight over some bloody gars. Too often in here people criticised for their grammar, spelling, poor quality fish, too many fish, stupid questions and stupid statements. It projects a very unwelcoming club.