It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:54

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: garfishing avalon
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2010, 15:36 
Fanatical Senior Member

This discussion can and will continue till the cows come home, but I think neither sides will ever agree or see eye to eye. Its important to read points from both sides of the discussion and take the key points from each and focus on it, potentially take it on board.

Personally I think the pic is within reason and within all rights to be posted on this forum, others may disagree. Nothing is illegal about this pic nor is it excess if interpreted by those who know what the limits are and what the species in question is.

To the uneducated and/or the "not in the know" - ie 'greenie groups' then yes Rhino has a very valid point, this pic can easily be misinterpreted.

With enough information and logical reasoning behind the pic to understand that it is within the realms of the law and excess, which I personally think Blinky has provided, this pic is fine.

I will at least, leave this discussion with a compromise, to be mindful of the pics I post here, and to leave enough information so that people cannot imisinterpret the pic (Dave hinted at this in his post). I think its about having a good balance of pic and worded info.

Peace.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2010, 15:56 
Novice Member

Great catch!!!

I'm so jealous!!!

x5

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2010, 17:24 
Fanatical Senior Member

After a bit of a PM session with Blinky I reckon I see the problem. The non club members don't really get to see the political side of things at all, how much the club is involved in keeping our sport going. There are real threats whether you've come across them or not!

I don't have a problem with the fucken pic at all! I just feel that it's better to be safe then sorry so if you say you can see my point then why does it have to be a bloody issue, is it such a big deal that it has to be shown off? I've had pics taken down and agree that the Kingie pic should probably have been one of them, feels good to show it off but what if???

My missus asked what I was doing and I showed her the pic to see what someone who's "clueless" thought of it without telling her what it was about. She said it's disgusting that your allowed to take so many fish, even when I explained that it's f'all filleted and between a couple of blokes. I disagree with her wholeheartedly but thats the impression it can give.

Something that really pisses me off tho is when people talk about the club/blues as if it's an exclusive club who dislikes outsiders! It's not about how we want you to behave, it's always in the interests of the fucken sport! If you saw what all the volunteers did in the club to keep us and all you non-members able to spear you feel bloody guilty not participating!

There's other threads going at the moment about the proposed Vic MPs, yeah I'm passionate and probably over the top but if in some way I think it could help preserve spearing in Vic then you can obviously see I don't give a fuck about what people think of me, only spearing!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2010, 20:45 
Fanatical Senior Member

well said...

i would really like to be a club member but..
the club is to far for me and i work at the meeting time.

so what would be the point of me joining?

oh and good catch mate, my mum loves her garfish and i showed her the pic and
all she said was "WHY CANT THAT HAPPEN TO ME lucky fucker"

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2010, 21:59 
Expert Member (SFD)

paddyfish wrote:
so what would be the point of me joining?

To show support for the sport you love. You can join the AUF at least if your not going to be active in SFD activities.

Nice catch Blinky, I enjoy a feed of Garfish. I read somewhere that bending them backwards and pushing the beak through the tail and leaving them like that overnight in the fridge "breaks down" all the bones and you can just munch em down whole after cooking, have you heard/tried this?

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2010, 22:37 
Forum Member

Jaws wrote:
Being non-members we do need to respect how the blues want us to behave in here, if we're not a member then we're really just guests. I do think we need to be conscious of what we post up here due to the public’s opinion. However we also need to consider that public and potential members logging on would be more displeased with the arguing and shit fight over some bloody gars. Too often in here people criticised for their grammar, spelling, poor quality fish, too many fish, stupid questions and stupid statements. It projects a very unwelcoming club.

Well said jaws. I completely agree with you. Way to much criticism/bi*tchyness on this forum...

Michael

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 11:15 
Fanatical Senior Member

tyson i havent tried that method of bending the gar backwards. i think i might have trouble sticking the beak through the tail too as thier beaks are kinda soft. I have however tried the method of gutting and cutting the head off then lay the gar on its side and roll a round glass bottle down the length of the spine. when you do this it cracks the ribs off from the spine. you can then pull out the spine and are left with the bones in the rib cage which i leave in. its not ideal as occasionally a litle bone will stick in your gum, but it doesn't happen often to me.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2011, 22:31 
Novice Member

Too right jaws,
your right on the money there mate. I'm new to the sport and this forum, but I feel like
I'm walking on egg shells when posting comments to who ever? Boys need to chill
and who ever thinks new comers aren't worthy of their say.... Your right!!! I'll just shut up now......

Got that off my chest ya recon?

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2011, 23:27 
Forum Member

If you haven't got anything nice to write don't write it. The club is worried about what the public thinks of spearing yet members can be hostile towards new comers who cares about spelling. I think this damages spearing more than posting up pictures of a perfectly legal catch as it gets back to the attitude of spearfisherman obnoxious unfreindly and a selective close group get rid of this stigma and it can only help the support of the sport

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2011, 12:19 

one of the members is always winging, good on ya for posting

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2011, 22:04 
Expert Member (SFD)

Nice bag of Gars boys. Cant really see whats wrong with 58 gars when they could have taken 80 Rhino, and its in the fishing section so how it reflects badly on spearos has me beat???

Non members and members will get the crap knocked out of them when they talk s#$t :evil: iv dished out a few words when i see 1kilo fish been called 2or3 kilo, i only do it so next time they actually weigh the fish and dont predict a weight.

keep the footage coming boys and dont stress about us members, where all bark and no bite...

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 10:33 
Novice Member

im not going to touch the overlying argument here with a 40 foot pole. 8)

gars are small and extremely tasty and great fun to catch - especially for the newcomber / uninitiated to fishing in general. anyone that has the gumption to get off their arse and get out in or next to the water is doing society good.

now, here's the contention:

i was out fishing in westerport on friday and we had a bunch of garfish for bait, and the other boys in the boat were critical of my palate for garfish - owing mainly to the fact that the bones are almost inescapable. at that point i recalled a recipe that relied on 'back-butterflying' whiting, and said to the guys i reckon i could do that with a gar.

they didn't understand or beleive, but about half a minute later i was waving a bone free good sized gar fillet in their faces.

the secret is to knife the spine behind the head, and before the tail, then make an incision down one side of the spine (not going all the way through) separate it a bit with the fingers, and then do the same to the other side. the spine, complete with ribs and guts comes clean out, leaving a large juicy bone free fillet. you can also cut the head and tail off, but i like to put shit inside the carcass and cook it whole like those chefs off the tv.

here is one blokes' interpretation of it for reference - the key is to expeiment a bit and find a way that suits you

http://www.strikehook.com/forum/5-gener ... fillet-gar

happy nom noms