It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:15

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: SAMBER!!!
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 15:01 
Vic Records Officer

whilst all you girls have been talking of organizing a trip away to look for samber, i arranged for Trent to come for a shot with me this morning and looky looky a samber haha... 1 shot=1 kill!!! my first stag.

Post subject: Re: SAMBER!!!
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 15:05 
Vic Records Officer

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 17:17 

Nice work man what gun.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 20:42 
Vic Records Officer

Winchester 30-06 mate

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 21:58 

Im geting a .308 win wanting to come over for a deer shoot there.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2012, 22:09 
Fanatical Senior Member

Damn Watto, Damn!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 01 May 2012, 09:44 
Forum Member

Well done Watto. Nice one.

PostPosted: 01 May 2012, 11:38 

Damn Watto, that's BIG animal. Check out the size of it's head next to Watto's in the 3rd photo down from the top.....

So how far did you have to lug all that meat back to the car? -> I can see why you brought Trent along for the ride ;)

Congrats & Cheers!

PostPosted: 01 May 2012, 11:49 

Also, how did it all go down?

Stalk or stake-out?

Time of day?

Had you scoped out the area beforehand?

Do anything to disguise your scent?

Where did you hit it? How far from?

Was your ticker going a mile-a-minute or were you pretty calm while it was all happening? Was this the first takeable deer you've had in your sights? - have heard people can get "buck fever" and freeze the first time they see one.

Should be a good story.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 01 May 2012, 18:15 
Vic Records Officer

well started out the night before, had a few drinks around a fire with Trent, went to bed.
woke up around 7ish had some breakky didn't shower... :oops: packed the shit into the car and drove about20-25km(google maps says 30km and 51min but that doesn't work out to me!) to the other side of the forest as i live on one side and wanted to hunt the other side. luckily Trent had his gps with us so i got him to set a way point at the car incase he got lost or we ended up a few km down the rd!
walked in on a ridge and told Trent to keep an eye on the gully on the right whilst i kept an eye on the left, would've walked down around 600-700m and was stopping every now and then to scope out the scenery (as i had been taken to spots either side of this one and seen deer in both!) after watching half a dozen roo's grazing for a while with no deer sighted i decided that we would drop down the other side and into the gully and walk up it and hunt more area (to where ive seen deer taken) we got about 70metres down from the ridge when we stopped for a minute to scope out the scenery and have a chat about where we were going to go. after a few minutes we continued on... well for about 5-10m then the scrub erupted about 20m in-front of me and hearing as much noise as i did i knew it was a deer, so i hurried down another 5m or so to get a better, clearer shot on what it was, i poised and put the gun up to my eye, with both eyes open i was amazed to see such a big animal emerge out of the scrub and walk friskly parallel to me and under 45m away, closing my left eye the deer was almost already in the scope and all i had to do was line up his front shoulders and squeeze gently...BANG!!!!(9:10am) almost instantly the beast had fallen over and was barrel rolling down the hill, i yelled out to Trent i got it and its a stag, i reloaded as i had shot deer previously that had jumped back up and tryed running off and made my way rather quickly down to him, as he came into sight i couldn't believe the size of it!!! its huge!!! but a mongrel...ohh well first stag who cares i'm happy!
i got Trent to make a way point on his gps once more so we wouldn't loose the animal if we couldn't carry it all, it was 500 and something metres back to the car, but about 90-100 of it was back up the bloody hill!!! which was somewhat steep. i tryed to call a few mates and managed to get onto my mates dad(who coincidently, started me out hunting all togeather and works for the dse, and intrduced me to this spot!) and he was up there within half an hour of hanging the phone up to lend a helping hand!

with buck fever they either freeze or jerk the trigger, unfortuanatly i missed a 30+inch red stag at the start of the year at about 100m which wouldve been my first stag as i jerked the trigger! but we still put about 5-6 shots into him and he didnt stop no idea where he is now :( !!!

as for takeable deer...all deer are takeble i dont care how big they are! ive shot 5 now.

Trent might have something to add..........

PostPosted: 01 May 2012, 21:42 
Expert Member (SFD)

shit hot boys well done

PostPosted: 01 May 2012, 22:21 
Fanatical Senior Member

Grouse story Watto, well done to both of you, thats awesome!!

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 12:17 

Cheers for the story Watto! A good read & something you can come back to and re-read again years down the track from now. It'll bring things back fresh to you after the years have softened and dimmed the memories of it.

Hope the venison is going down well. Should be enough there to keep you going through winter.

Once again, congrats and Cheers!

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 13:56 
Vic Records Officer

No worries, and thanx guys cuttin it up this arvo as it's been setting in the fridge!

Random if you need any info on stalking these things let me no as I can share what I no!

PostPosted: 05 May 2012, 01:53 
Forum Member

Well done mate!! Venison is awesome and I am sure it would tast even better knowing that u killed it yourself!! My mates old man does hound hunting and farms trophy staggs but my interest is in stalking all the more better the harder you work! Hoping my knee will improve a heap after a knee reconstruction so I can do a back pack hunt this year. What bullets were u using 30-06 still one of the best round with a huge range of different weights you can put through it I decided with this over the 308 for this reason! Well done again and hope this is a great start to a great season for u!