It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:45

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 16:45 
Fanatical Senior Member

Good mate of mine went to Portland for a land based fish mid last week. Told me its being going off. 3kg salmon everywhere and even the Boaties are like anchoring up 50m from the breakwall. My friends ended up getting salmon up to 3kg, squid up to 1kg, 11kg gummy, and heaps of couta. They also saw a 20kg mulloway landed.

Geoff

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 20:24 

Are we allowed to spearfish there/what's the minimum distance we are allowed to go, is it 200m?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 22:29 
Expert Member (SFD)

Marmo. wrote:
Are we allowed to spearfish there/what's the minimum distance we are allowed to go, is it 200m?

30 meters...

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/rec ... ine-waters

However wouldn't recommend getting up that close..

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 23:10 
Fanatical Senior Member

I'm not sure if the breakwall counts as a pier. There is plenty of diving in the area though with out having to suffer the wrath of pissed off cotton danglers. Weekends this time of year you will find a lino every 5 metres or less.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 00:15 
Fanatical Senior Member

My mate who went down said that he's pretty sure you can't dive (snorkel, spear, scuba, etc.) around the breakwall. I know the 30m rule for piers but maybe they have different rules due to some of the trawlers that come in and out. Now he's not a diver so I don't think he would of paid huge attention to any of the signs.

I found on a forum some info regarding only being allowed to dive the ocean side which is the left only from the pump station which is halfway up the breakwall. This info was 2-3 yrs old. Portlands a massive place so I'm sure there's plenty of spots. As greg said you'd piss off a lot of the Lino,s that have cast out if you did go out there. But from line fishing there in the past there's no one on the opposite side so and it's not within a 6ounce pyramid to the head.

Contact dive shop down there would be best bet unless you know someone from that way that is aware of any new regulations.

Just to excite you a bit more Boaties have been getting kingies since end of Dec. I'm sure that would be further out. But where there's food there are usually bigger critters chasing them. It is Jurassic Park out that way.

Geoff

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2013, 23:09 
Forum Member

yep, great if you have a boat. just launch and turn right as you head out of the harbour. the break wall on the right has no public access so no land based fishos!
and a great stretch of reef all the way to Lawrence rock.