It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:07

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2013, 10:52 

Cheers for the tip Watto! Will keep an eye out for 'em.....

.... and now for the QI part of this thread:

According to wiki, the name "kangaroo apple" is used for a number of species (within the Genus "Solanum"), but the main two are S.laciniatum and S.aviculare.

And it's not just the Sambar who have a hankering for them; apparently the Russians and the Hungarians are growing kangaroo apple to get their hands on the toxic alkaloid "solasodine" which is found in the unripe fruit and leaves of S.aviculare, which they then use as a base material for making steroid contraceptives.

So there you go folks, the Aussie native wildlife (or at least it's by-products), is at hand and looking after you in more ways than you might suspect; for instance in "the pill" in some hot Hungarian or Ukrainian chick's purse that you might be trying to tune next time you find yourself in a pub in Budapest or Kiev.

In other news, kangaroo apples can also make a half-decent chutney (when cooked up properly to stop them giving you a guts-ache), and weirdly enough, are also used as a rootstock for grafting eggplant.

Message ends.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2013, 12:56 
Fanatical Senior Member

You can eat them raw but they have to be ripe, they don't taste that great though.

PostPosted: 07 May 2013, 11:39 
Expert Member (SFD)

2 deer down this year 1 stag one doe both spotty fallow, soon the be a 3rd chocky brown in colour and about 24 inches worth of head gear !!

PostPosted: 16 May 2013, 15:00 
Forum Member

This technique should work on Sambar

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/world/d ... Stories%29

PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 15:39 
Forum Member

Shot my first (sambar) yesterday on a private farm on last light they started flocking out of the forest on to the farmers land to have a chew. Male about 200kg worth small spikes considering the size. Saw 10 on the way to the property grazing on the side of the road. They are out of control up myrtleford way mostly small but shoud be good eating!!

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2013, 16:11 

Hi guys,
sorry, have been away from the forum for a bit -> congrats to brad and thommo on their deer.

Any progress on that "chocky brown in colour and about 24 inches worth of head gear" promise yet brad?

Hope you've all been enjoying the autumn weather.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2013, 21:56 
Fanatical Senior Member

Sat the bloody license today, now to choose a gun.........
It'll be a 30-06 but which one? Anything I should be looking out for?

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2013, 18:46 
Expert Member (SFD)

Nothing's changed roamin there's another hunter in the same area as me I think he knows it's there to Iv seen him a few times, thoughi did get a crack at a red stag with its royals around 36 inches on last light Saturday must of hit it in the lungs bled out a pinkish foam

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 13:55 
Vic Records Officer

Should've tracked it!

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 10:11 
Forum Member

That's no good Brad. You should go back and have another look for it. Crows will often find the dead ones so look listen for them.

Rhino I like stainless/synthetic for sambar because the abuse you will probably put it through.
Value for money the Tikka T3 and Browning A-bolt are good. Scope would go 3-9x40 or similar, zeiss conquest are good value

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 10:23 
Fanatical Senior Member

Thanks mate, I'm actually thinking about the Browning but in wood. I know ill prob regret it down the track but I like it a lot better!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 11:59 

Bummer about not finding the red Brad - not good to leave a wounded animal out there. I'm sure you did your best to track it down; I guess it would have been tough trying to do so in the dark (seeing as the shot was made at last light).

At least, from what I gather, a lung shot should have resulted in a relatively swift & humane end.

If you've got the chance though, as sunshine suggests, probably a good idea to get out there and see if you can find it, even if just to make sure of the above.