It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:40

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Freediving concern.
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 22:36 
Expert Member (SFD)

hey guys I have been getting out spearing abit over the summer break, and have been pushing my breath hold and noticed, that once I decend I fell fine for about 40 secconds, then around the 50 seccond mark, I will start to shake but still remain to have controle of my actions, so I was wondering if this is samba, the beginning of a samba or anything else. As I generaly dive alone I do not wont to push my self too hard!
cheers stephen.

Post subject: Re: Freediving concern.
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 23:01 
Expert Member (SFD)

Do you feel most of the shaking in your chest/ below your ribs? Like a building tension? You might be bordering on contractions, they won't kill you but it can be less than comfortable. You shouldn't be pushing this hard without a buddy, especially if you don't know how your body behaves.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 23:12 
Fanatical Senior Member

I'm no expert but I'd recommend getting in a pool with a buddy and pushing yourself till you've got contractions kicking your arse so you get an idea of your limits and how your body feels during the different stages of a breath hold. Let the lifeguards know what your doing and research emergency procedures just in case!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 23:15 
Fanatical Senior Member

or do what rhino said but minus the pool. at least that way if you do pass out your lying down on a bed or couch.
we dont want to see another loss of a spearo doing training

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 23:23 
Expert Member (SFD)

yer most of the shaking is in the chest. yer i have done things similar but that was a lottle time ago so maby somethong to think about over the holadays. also have tried breath holds on the couch and such but it dose not fell the same or give you the same fell as under water and I have found you give up easy.
cheers

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011, 00:28 
Fanatical Senior Member

i know what you mean, when i first started doing them i would be getting under a minute. i couldnt shut my mind off. but now ill often do them before bed and i from memory my best breath hold was 3m 43s. its amazing how quick you build it up.
you get to this stage where you shut your mind off and its really relaxing, so much so i had to remind myself to breathe

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011, 01:06 
Expert Member (SFD)

Stephen how deep are you diving?
no more quentions at this time i cant type well
thanks Brad

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 14:21 
Expert Member (SFD)

Twich thats a very good breath hold man, I hope to reach about 1.5min in the nair future and brad when this happened I was only in about 5.5 to 4 meters of water.
stephen.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 18:18 
Forum Member

twitch wrote:
i know what you mean, when i first started doing them i would be getting under a minute. i couldnt shut my mind off. but now ill often do them before bed and i from memory my best breath hold was 3m 43s. its amazing how quick you build it up.
you get to this stage where you shut your mind off and its really relaxing, so much so i had to remind myself to breathe

Just curious twitch, how close can you get to those times in open water?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 21:11 
Fanatical Senior Member

in open water it changes but is never anywhere near that time. you have to take into account so many things like depth, energy levels etc. i havnt actually done a test to see how my breathhold is when spearing as one; i realise all the factors involved. two; it's not a safe thing to push your limits in that situation and 3; i dont really have the want or need to know as most of the fish i spear dont require huge breath holds. i keep my watch on my float but i'd estimate that the longest dive i would do would be around a minute.

haha stevo it aint that great, some of the boys in the club will be getting way higher static holds

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 21:30 
Forum Member

I'm just a beginner but I can manage a 2:30 min static without warm up. (Missus freaks out when I hold my breath in bed) But in the water I'm shocking... have only managed to go down to about 6-8m and then I quickly have to come up for air. Can someone recommend a good routine to improve my time?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 21:59 
Expert Member (SFD)

dario168 wrote:
I'm just a beginner but I can manage a 2:30 min static without warm up. (Missus freaks out when I hold my breath in bed) But in the water I'm shocking... have only managed to go down to about 6-8m and then I quickly have to come up for air. Can someone recommend a good routine to improve my time?

just relax!!! I was getting about 25 secconds before I just controled by breathing and took time before and after each dive also try to mimimise the effort/enegry used under water.
hope this helps :P
stephen.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 10:55 
Forum Member

dario168 wrote:

take long breaths in and out really slowly. this will drop your heart rate down,make you more relaxed and reduce the amount of oxygen your body needs to sustain making it easyer to hold your breathe for longer. just practise out of water for abit and as the other boys said if your gonna go hard, do it under supervision

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 12:12 
Fanatical Senior Member

superstevo wrote:
I will start to shake but still remain to have controle of my actions,

Are you cold? Shivering? Your body shouldn't convulse with shallow dives under 1 min for a fit person.

Deeper the water the colder in becomes. Much colder than the surface. Neoprene compresses. @ 10m a 5mm suit becomes 2.5mm that's not a lot to keep you warm in 14-20 degree's of water.

Static and dynamic breath holds are very different!. Divers need to become Very comfortable with the under water environment to have a greater chance of extending their breath holds.

oZ

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 16:25 
Forum Member

thanks for the tips fellas, I'll take that advice