It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:46

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: CO2 tables
PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 01:24 
Novice Member

I've read a few posts and blogs say that the breath hold time length when doing CO2 tables, like those on the android Static Apnea Trainer, should not exceed 50% of ones maximum breath hold time.

Why is this?

Is it a safety issue? or an effectiveness issue?

I'm guessing it's an effectiveness issue because since this process can be done dry there are next to no safety issues.

What about the breathing time? What changes under the following situations?

(I'll break up rounds with a comma, and only display breathing times in seconds and not breath hold times)

1. Old. 60, 55, 50, 45, 40, 35, 30 New. 50, 45, 40, 35, 30, 25, 20
2. Old. (as above) New. 70, 65, 60, 55, 50, 45, 40
3. Old. (as above) New. 60, 53, 46, 39, 32, 25, 18
4. Old. (as above) New. 60, 57, 54, 51, 48, 45, 42

I thought I'd write it as such so as to minimise any confusion because I'm sure that if I tried to explain it through words I'd make a horrible mess of it.

I don't expect anyone to be able to answer all these questions, but please go ahead and answer those which you can. Cheers.

Post subject: Re: CO2 tables
PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 21:06 
Novice Member

I'm looking for replies like:

Tolerance to resist breathing reflex increased
Tolerance to resist breathing reflex decreased
Helps increases max breath hold
Does not help. Will result in worse performance / reduced max breath hold

I'm trying to work out how I should be tweaking my CO2 table.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 13:37 
Novice Member

Guess it's a bit late on this thread but can give you an explanation. The %50 value is because you don't really want to be getting very hypoxic (low in O2), you want to be building up high CO2 levels.

Training CO2 tables does 2 things:-
1. Short term for a period of a few weeks it will actually increase your bodies physical tolerance to CO2. ie urge to breathe and contractions will come later. This effect normally wears off after 2-4 weeks depending.
2. It should increase your mental tolerance ie handling the discomfort of contractions and urge to breathe. If you can train and try to remain as relaxed as you can in the uncomfortable phase it will make a big difference to your statics.

Both 1. & 2. will help increase you doing max statics.

CO2 tables can also be done as dynamics, ie swimming in the pool. You don't always have to have increasing/decreasing times. Just that the rest is not long enough for you that you CO2 level returns to normal. ie doing a 2 min static, 20 sec rest, 2 min static, 20 sec rest etc will also work as you are steadily increasing your CO2 level as your body does not have time to recover from the previous hold.

CO2 dynamic training I do that's simple and effective is something like swim 25m, 10 sec rest, swim 25m 10 sec rest.....
Doing 10-20 repeats. This is actually excellent training for spearfishing and repetitive diving. You are working on fitness, reducing recovery times and CO2 tolerance all at the same time. Of course base the distance and rest times on yourselves, everyone is different.

As for tweaking if what you are doing is too hard, then make the rest longer, too easy then make the rest shorter. Hope that helps.

cheers,
Wal

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 23:37 

Thanks Walter, I have been only doing o2 tables for a few weeks (previously did some co2 aswell) and i have noticed while i can still hold my breath to the same static as in the past, it is seeming harder to remain relaxed and control contractions. I was thinking that the Co2 tolerance might be down and affecting it and from what you have said it sounds like that could be the case so ill start doing the co2 tables again and see how i go :)

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 01:30 
Forum Member

jai0310 wrote:
Thanks Walter, I have been only doing o2 tables for a few weeks (previously did some co2 aswell) and i have noticed while i can still hold my breath to the same static as in the past, it is seeming harder to remain relaxed and control contractions. I was thinking that the Co2 tolerance might be down and affecting it and from what you have said it sounds like that could be the case so ill start doing the co2 tables again and see how i go :)

Fully recommend a course with Walter. Everyone smashed their PBS after learning the breathing exercises. I went from 1:30 best to 3:50 on my second attempt at holding my breath after learning some breathing teqniques..

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 09:54 

Quote:
Fully recommend a course with Walter. Everyone smashed their PBS after learning the breathing exercises. I went from 1:30 best to 3:50 on my second attempt at holding my breath after learning some breathing teqniques..

I know, he really sounds like he knows his stuff! at the moment money is the only thing stopping me from doing a course, because they sound like heaps of fun and like you really learn some good techniques etc. but for now ill just have to go off the free stuff on the net, when the time comes i will definitely be going for a course with him though! :)

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 00:37 
Novice Member

Thanks for the reply Walter.