It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:03

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 19:13 
Forum Member

I was in croatia recently on the adriatic, which is why I was watching the following video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Sji3u9 ... re=related

This guy often seems to be gulping or choking for air, is he pushing himself too far or is this normal? I never really push myself AT ALL, basically as soon as I feel like I need to breathe I surface. So I never find myself choking for air like this (and my bottom time sucks). My question is this, do you need to push yourself like this to better your bottom time? If you always rise the second you fell the need to breathe, does that mean your bottom time will never improve? I admit that I am just a weekend freediver, I have got lucky and caught some nice fish, but it was never from choking myself trying to stay down. I think I need to learn the technique of relaxing and minimising movment and maxing out the breathhold thing. It really does blow me away how long some can stay under.

On the adriatic: Beautiful and NO DANGEROUS SHARKS lol. Beaches are shit, its just rocks or cement layed down by the communists. Some very nice tasting fish there. Islands are dry and boring, water is crystal clear and a surreal aqua colour. Vis is AMAZING, but I wouldnt swap it for australian waters and beaches. We are so lucky here with the diversity of fish life and marine environment and our beaches. Sometimes you gotta travel to appreciate what you have. Once you get over the amazing colour of the adriatics water and the viz, which is mindblowing, its really quite boring under the surface. Theres these things all over the bottom called sea cucumbers, it looks like heaps of turds everywhere, lol.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 20:28 
Expert Member (SFD)

Quite a vid! I was more worried about swinging a loaded gun around to point almost at one's self to get the footage of fish speared. :shock: How is the vis, amazing!

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 22:20 
Fanatical Senior Member

Popeye wrote:
I was in croatia recently on the adriatic, which is why I was watching the following video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Sji3u9 ... re=related

This guy often seems to be gulping or choking for air, is he pushing himself too far or is this normal? I never really push myself AT ALL, basically as soon as I feel like I need to breathe I surface. So I never find myself choking for air like this (and my bottom time sucks). My question is this, do you need to push yourself like this to better your bottom time? If you always rise the second you fell the need to breathe, does that mean your bottom time will never improve? I admit that I am just a weekend freediver, I have got lucky and caught some nice fish, but it was never from choking myself trying to stay down. I think I need to learn the technique of relaxing and minimising movment and maxing out the breathhold thing. It really does blow me away how long some can stay under.

On the adriatic: Beautiful and NO DANGEROUS SHARKS lol. Beaches are shit, its just rocks or cement layed down by the communists. Some very nice tasting fish there. Islands are dry and boring, water is crystal clear and a surreal aqua colour. Vis is AMAZING, but I wouldnt swap it for australian waters and beaches. We are so lucky here with the diversity of fish life and marine environment and our beaches. Sometimes you gotta travel to appreciate what you have. Once you get over the amazing colour of the adriatics water and the viz, which is mindblowing, its really quite boring under the surface. Theres these things all over the bottom called sea cucumbers, it looks like heaps of turds everywhere, lol.

Pics?

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 12:32 
General Committee Member

I dont think he is that far into his dive. I suspect the noise is to attract fish.
Watch the fish come to him about 1/2 way through.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 13:07 

I also thought it was to attract fish, seems to work for him.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 09:56 
Forum Member

Wow I never would have guessed that hes doing it to attract fish. So apart from burly and flashers do any of you guys have other methods like this, to bring the fish in? Yeah how was he when he was pointing the loaded speargun at himself to show all his fish off :lol: Heres a photo rhino which shows the water clarity and colour pretty well:

Attachments:
adriatic-water.jpg
adriatic-water.jpg [ 70.5 KiB | Viewed 4381 times ]

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 11:15 
Fanatical Senior Member

Very nice!

Some species respond well to flicking some sand up, completely ignoring them can make you too interesting to resist sometimes, moving rocks etc

Most activity will get em curious but alot of it will shorten your breath hold too, hard to beat an ab in my opinion!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!