It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:22

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013, 15:43 
Novice Member

Hi All,
Iā€™m running a 2 day freediving course over the Feb 23/24 weekend 2013 in the Melbourne area, possibly Geelong but still need to finalise the location. (Note I attempted running a course in January but it was cancelled mostly due to numbers, the Xmass period & school holidays really made it hard to contact people and organise things also).

If I get a full 4 hour boat charter for Sunday it will cost $495 and run the whole weekend. We may have to put up with a standard scuba charter which only run a bit over an hour at slack tide in which case the course costs will only be $395. Right now it's definitely on, just require one more person to meet the minimum numbers. I will need to book my airfares quite soon.

It might be possible to drop the price with more people but definitely can't take more then 8 for the ocean diving. Please email me on walter_steyn ā€“ at - yahoo.com.au for more details on the course and how to book a spot. I have attached a course outline below to give you an idea of the course contents. Even though I'm calling it an Intermediate course there is no reason that we can't have some less experienced divers on it. The main thing is you can actually equalise and dive at least 5 - 10m, otherwise the ocean diving will be wasted. I don't really intend on teaching people how to use a snorkel or how to duck dive either :-)

Those already comfortably diving at least 10m will get more benefit and learn to dive even deeper and safer. You can read some feedback on previous courses I have taught here - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2159&start=45

I have been doing competitive freediving since 2002, and teaching freediving in Australia since 2004. I have set 33 Australian records and my PB's include 112m CWT (depth diving with fins), 215m DYN (distance in a pool with fins) and a 8.30 static breath-hold. You can see some of my dives and results here :-

http://apnea.cz/ranking.html?steyn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYmFO0zJZwk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Steyn

Regards,
Walter

Course Outline :-
Classroom theory day1

Introduction
freediving safety

Physiology -
mental vs physical adaptations
SaO2 and blackouts
CO2, contractions and breathing stimulus
Dive Reflex & Aquatic adaptations
Mind-Body link

Simple Static Routine
Training approach & Technique

Genetic differences
Static training - CO2 tables
O2 tables
exhale statics
Alternative static routines
Packing and stretching

Depth diving
Safety & equipment
streamlining
warmup routine
empty lung dives
equalising at greater depths
mouthfill technique
diaphragm stretching
Spearfishing at deeper depths
Apnea competitions

Practical:-
Breathing & Relaxation
Dry statics

Static safety & tapping
Diet
Static relaxation tips
Questions

Pool session day1

Static-
safety
demonstration
practice
Dynamic
turns
streamlining & buoyancy
practice

Ocean session day2
Safety drills /Blackout rescues
FIM/Static hangs
Depth diving with Fins
Fun diving / Wreck diving (Possibly HMAS Canberra)

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013, 16:25 
Novice Member

Just one note - the length of the ocean session will depend on if I have the numbers to be able to book a full 4 hour charter and have a boat to ourselves. If the numbers are less I have to book a normal scuba charter which only go around 1-2 hours. The price of course will be a lot less in that case. ($395 vs $495)

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2013, 14:49 
Novice Member

Hi All,
at this stage the 2 day course is full, Sat = Theory & Pool Work, Sun = Ocean.

However as the numbers are less then I normally take due to going with a smaller boat so I will take another 1-2 people to join in on the Theory
& pool session on the Saturday only for $200. If you do you will have priority spots on the boat session for the next course I teach, I will do another within 6 ā€“ 8 weeks. Most of the
breatholding skills and technique are done on the Saturday, Sunday will more or less be putting these into practice depth wise.

For more information or to book a spot on the 1 day pool & Theory course contact me on walter_steyn ā€“ at - yahoo.com.au