It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:37

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Ricketts Point Today
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 19:25 
Forum Member

Didn't have much time to organise a dive after this mornings bike ride to Strathewen and back so we went for a quick dive down at Ricketts Point, which means I left the gun at home and just took photos with the camera and practiced breath hold and other free diving things. It was a bit hazy but the clarity was pretty good while holding on the bottom. Saw many flat head of good size, many Rays all of which were small and numerous other things. Enjoy a couple of photos we took.

Attachments:
P2090031.JPG
P2090031.JPG [ 97.29 KiB | Viewed 4481 times ]
P2090030.JPG
P2090030.JPG [ 148.63 KiB | Viewed 4481 times ]
P2090025.JPG
P2090025.JPG [ 113.52 KiB | Viewed 4481 times ]
P2090015.JPG
P2090015.JPG [ 46.28 KiB | Viewed 4481 times ]
P2090004.JPG
P2090004.JPG [ 84.04 KiB | Viewed 4481 times ]

Post subject: Re: Ricketts Point Today
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 19:39 
Novice Member

Nice pics man, love seeing these!

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 19:42 
Forum Member

Well done mate! What camera are u using? I should of headed their today instead went to Altona Viz was terrible a very hazey 2-3m a heap of bait fish in close and saw my first school of pinkies but they were to close tried shooting from the hip but only managed one which managed to get off must of had 4 shots at the one school they just kept floating past if I extended the gun they were off and the way the viz was they looked invisible at that distance. I was so determined to take one home must have tried for 3 hours at least. Saw some alone but they were pretty flighty and managed to spear my first mullet which I burleighed up. Their is also an algae warning around Altona and are recommended not to eat the shellfish.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2013, 20:19 
Forum Member

Howdy,
It's just my Olympus tough which I've had for years. These particular shots were just on normal everyday setting as well. I don't bother too much with the underwater settings on this camera.
I also have some excellent footage from my go pro (my second go pro) from the same dive. I just need to learn how to use my mac properly and turn the footage into a nice neat package of two or three minutes, nothing too long and boring. Leave them wanting more I say! In saying that though, I know there are many people on this forum who would be bored watching a three minute clip of Ricketts Point! I'll eventually get around to figuring it all out. Oh, and the Olympus tough is in a dive housing too and my go pro has the correct housing as well with the flat lens cover.
I'm glad you saw pinkies, that must have been exciting to see. It was hazy if you were mooching around on the surface over at Ricketts but once on the bottom it was fine and I would estimate up to 10 metres viz horizontally on the bottom easily, but vertically was hazy, if you get my drift. A whole family of blennies played up for my go pro which looks cool on playback. Big Globe Fish with their huge yellow rimmed beady eyes are funny to come across as well. There was heaps of other stuff going on but that's enough for one post! I have Monday off and may get out again, It just depends how I end up after a trip you the Yarra valley tomorrow afternoon!

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2013, 16:22 
Forum Member

Nice photos. I took the mrs down to Ricketts Point a few weeks ago just for some snorkelling. Saw plenty of sea life, including flatheads and pinkies.... It's a bit frustrating when you see it but can't shoot it, but still get amongst it all. She's now hooked and asks me to go every day, even if there is a southerly gale force wind.