It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:51

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 20:42 

Hey guys

Just been getting into spearing and now have all the right gear, so can actually enjoy a long time in Melbourne's frosty winter waters.

Trying each dive to improve my time under the surface. I was going to watch some really good video on YouTube that I had seen people promote and talk about, yet the video doesn't work anymore..
Are there any videos kicking around about how your actually meant to freedive and dangers like shallow water drowning's etc..

Is there any good credible sources YouTube or other websites with some instructions on safe ways in improve your breath holds?

Cheers

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 23:12 

You can do breath hold tables such as in the following link/website. There is some good articles and info on equilising in there too once you browse around the site. It's good to get a proper handle on equalising.

Do a freediving course, you can book through Apnea Australia or there are others around that run courses in Melbourne from time to time, Walter Steyn is one of them I believe. I think a few of the guys from this forum have done the courses and highly recommend them.
Training in a local pool helps, I used to train with a group at the Melbourne Aquatic Centre last year before my time table changed for looking after my daughter and I could no longer attend. I got a lot out of the training sessions while I was attending.
Keep diving, the more often you dive the better you get. Don't push it too hard though, take small steps and have someone with you.
With the lack of diving lately my breath hold has gone to rubbish compared to last summer, I need to get out more...

http://www.apneaaustralia.com.au/resources/articles/breath-hold-training-tables

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 23:39 

Cheers mate, appreciate the big response.

Yeah I've had a look at the Apnea courses. They look good but theyre so pricey $$$

I'll have to seriously consider it though. Cheers

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2013, 20:38 
Expert Member (SFD)

I'm sure a course would be beneficial but they aren't a necessity. There is heaps of credible info out there. Plenty of good books - 'Freedive' by Terry Maas is very good, even 'Underwater Fishing in Australia and NZ' has basic info about breath hold diving that is all that is needed really.

A good breath hold will definitely help when hunting flighty species like KGW & Snapper. Generally though, you don't need to dive deep to spear good fish. Join a club. Learn from the more experienced.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2013, 09:31 

Cheers bud.

Yeah i plan to come to the next meeting tues night :)

Might try purchase that book off eBay, as you said, would be very handy for this'd Delish pinkies :)

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2013, 11:50 
Fanatical Senior Member

Start with Spearsafe (easy to Google)
They also have DVDs and videos on Vimeo rather than YouTube
From memory their DVD can be obtained free of charge at diving shops, try contacting the website or places like Legendary, Geelong dive centre, etc

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2013, 21:35 

Exactly what I was after :)

Great video mate, just putting it on now!

Thanks

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2013, 15:46 

Thanks to Ligure!

I found a link that works with the video on shallow water blackouts. Check it out if your interested.

http://spearsafe.webs.com/apps/videos/v ... n-blackout