It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:37

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2013, 18:04 
Novice Member

Hello fellow divers!

I'm a rank beginner- done a fair bit of snorkelling in various spots but branching out into freediving and eventually spearfishing here in Southern Vic and I need suggestions as to where I can get my feet wet, so to speak. Thinking Port Phillip bay (I live on the east side), Mornington Peninsula.

I'm putting my gear together this week and sometime in Nov/Dec I'll be taking a certified freediving course.

Any suggestions as to what websites offer decent descriptions to current diving conditions would be helpful as well.

Many thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2013, 21:48 
Vic Records Officer

As for the weather as long as the wind is either low or blowing towards the opposite side to where you wanna dive you'll be ok. Vis can only be determined when your looking at the water. Once you get tired of the bay you'll be going to the back beach where the swell and wind both contribute to your dive.

If you need help with gear head into legendary as they have everything you could think of and are very helpful. And for dive spots look for reefs on google maps.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2013, 22:57 
Novice Member

Somewhere around Mount Martha is a good area to learn, not too dangerous. If it's a windy day you can go there provided it's an easterly blow.

Plenty of places to find, good luck!

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2013, 16:53 
Novice Member

Hey, great to meet another enthusiast!
If you're Melbourne based, there's a small bunch of freedivers who train Wednesday nights 8-10pm at MSAC. Best to look up and Opt in via the Melbourne Freedivers page on Facebook to see who is going. It's purely focused on pool training with a mix of lots of dynamic and a little static work.

The Forum here at Southern is a great source of information and support outside training, plus the dive reports give a keen insight into what's really going on underwater.

Cheers