It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:58

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 16:11 
Forum Member

Recently ive been feeling quite sick after about 10 minutes in the water. I can dive to 10m and hold my breath between 30secs - 1 min consistently. But this problem has limited me to only being able to dive half as good as i can. Its not every dive, but once it starts, it doesnt leave, and it sneaks up on me without warning. The other day i was looking under a nice ledge at 7m and it hit me and i felt like vomiting all the way to the surface.

I must add, I dont get sea sick, i spend many hours on a boat or in the water each weekend and feel completely fine. This is recent, like the past month. It might be linked to what foods i eat the night before and in the morning of my dives. With breakfasts, ive been avoiding milky drinks and foods like smoothies and cereals and instead am having toast and it is either helpful or not.

Someone who has experienced this or knows how i could improve it, id love to hear your advice as its limiting my freediving ability.

Thank you!

-Jacob

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 00:35 
Fanatical Senior Member

Avoid pastries, milk etc beforehand. My brekky of choice is a ham, cheese and tomato toastie! Drinking too much fluid before a dive can make you feel dodgy too! If I were you I'd try taking a kwells before the dive just so you can rule sea sickness out too! I take em every dive just in case, flat or not!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014, 14:35 
Novice Member

Hey Jaka, have you changed anything or has something around you changed in the last month or so that is different to before when you felt ok? Eg, equipment, diet, morning routine, dive preparation, work stress, coffee, other things? There could be a connection?

If you've changed breakfast, it will take some time for the body to adapt. Generally speaking, the closer the meal is eaten to the dive, the smaller and more easily digestible it should be.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 06:10 
Forum Member

Besides changing my depth I can reach and my breathe hold, nothing has really changed, I'll be trying the different breakfasts for the next few dives and report back on here. Thanks for the input guys!

PostPosted: 04 May 2014, 15:14 
General Committee Member

Try somac
http://www.mydr.com.au/medicines/cmis/s ... ef-tablets

Works for me.

PostPosted: 04 May 2014, 23:06 
Novice Member

travacalm original all the way mate.. Good to take a few no matter how you feel, just to be safe. Suck when a bit of sickness ruins your dive.

I have never been sick on a boat but can get sick in the water sometimes.. Particularly when I drank a giant sized up and go before I went diving.. Will not do that again in a hurry.. haha

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 15:24 
Novice Member

How are doing now mate? Were there any improvements after doing all the necessary changes (and perhaps taking meds)?

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2014, 13:54 
Forum Member

I have found I might have been dehydrated, so I have been drinking 600ml of powerade slowly over the hour before my dive, along with eating toast with honey aswell. Also take kwells just in case! I've been really good, no problems and I'm sooooo happy I've fixed it! Thanks for the tips!

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 15:45 
Novice Member

Rhino wrote:
Avoid pastries, milk etc beforehand. My brekky of choice is a ham, cheese and tomato toastie! Drinking too much fluid before a dive can make you feel dodgy too! If I were you I'd try taking a kwells before the dive just so you can rule sea sickness out too! I take em every dive just in case, flat or not!

cheese toastie and a powerade (iso) before a dive is my routine.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014, 16:54 
Forum Member

Yeah, that's my routine these days too! And drinking plenty of water the night before!