It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:24

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 14:52 
Novice Member

Hi there,

I am interested in doing a freediving beginners course, but in warmer waters. Where in Australia or the nearest country would be best to do this? I am living in Darwin currently. I looked at apnea Australia's courses but they have nothing in Cairns over that week. Only one course on the 26th and 27th but I need to fly back on the 27th.

Also I looked at ApneaBali, anyone know about this centre? Or can recommend any in Thailand??

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Nicole

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 20:46 

Here's one that might be worth a look. I dived this area about 15 years ago and it was fantastic. If I ever make it back to the Gili Islands I might do a course with these guys. Their instructors have set several British and NZ records.

http://www.freedivegili.com/

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 21:26 
Novice Member

Apnea total was a great learning experience for me. I really enjoyed my freediver course there. they have a website apneatotal.com they're on koh tao thailand.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2014, 09:57 
Novice Member

Blue immersion - Koh Tao, Suratthani - Thailand, 84360
Mobile: (+66) 8 11 888 488
Email: info@blue-immersion.com

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2014, 23:21 
Novice Member

Dale wrote:
Here's one that might be worth a look. I dived this area about 15 years ago and it was fantastic. If I ever make it back to the Gili Islands I might do a course with these guys. Their instructors have set several British and NZ records.

http://www.freedivegili.com/

I did their course a year or two ago. It was great.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014, 14:26 
Novice Member

Hi Nicole,
If you're still keen for an Australian based course, please feel welcome to drop us a note at Apnea Australia. In addition to the courses on the calendar in Perth, Karratha, Cairns etc., we can create additional ones too. Or, if there are a number of buddies keen to attend a course in your neighbourhood, we could visit Darwin!

All the best for your search, I hope you find something that works with your plans.

Cheers,

Marlon
Apnea Australia Instructor

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2014, 20:05 
Forum Member

http://wefreedive.org/

and

ttp://andamanapnea.com/

Are both great. Would 100% recommend them.
I've done AIDA freediving courses through both.
While you're there check out

http://www.phuket-spearfishing.com/

All great businesses I've had first hand experience with and its awesome being able to spear and freedive in warm water, no wetsuit and amazing tropical surroundings.
Let me know if you're interested in more info on Phuket, I go there all the time and can put you in touch with people for airport pickup, motorbike rental, accomodation etc. It's not something I get anything out of, I can just help you out.
Have a look in the 'dive trips' section for the Thailand or phuket threads, some good pics there, think there are 2 already and I'm adding a 3rd soon, as I just left Phuket again after staying 2 months.
Email me if you want some more info
camskea@hotmail.com
cheers
Cam

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 10:53 
Novice Member

Thank you for all of your replies. For some reason I didn't notice there were replies on the same day of the post. I was sure I checked it one or two days after. Anyway, that's my explanation for being seemingly rude!

I ended up going to East Timor to Scuba dive over Easter as a friend was going. However I am now in Bali, Amed doing a couple courses here. I've done the SSI Level 1, I want to do the Level 2 but my instructor thinks the Apnea total course would suit me better as I have only reached 18 metres so far.

Dale, I would love go I to the Gilli Islands to do some freediving there, but don't have the time this time in Bali. Do you, or does anyone else have an opinion about which course would be better?

That is, the differences and pros or cons between SSI, AIDA, Apnea Total etc., or are they all pretty much the same?

Also does anyone happen to live in Darwin?? I would really like to train when I get back and am looking for buddies to train with at Parap pool (as they have the deep end).

Thanks again
Nicole