It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:34

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 20:06 
Fanatical Senior Member

tvolke wrote:
A rusty gun is better then no gun boys. Stop worrying about insignificant crap.

you say a rusty gun is better thatn no gun, but isnt a non rusty gun also better than a rusty gun? im sure if you had to chose between two of the same gun, one with rust and damage and the other with none, im sure you would chose the one with no damage just as most people would.

to an answer to cooper's question. im sure that some form of laquer would work.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 20:33 
Fanatical Senior Member

LOL @ The Questions asked on this forum lately ...

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 21:17 
Fanatical Senior Member

Some food for thought... Maybe not the best practice but I never and I mean never wash my gear! Have never had a problem with rust on anything, shafts, knives, stringer etc.
Guns are carbon but that's it!

Lazy...yes but stuck maintaining my gear after a dive....no!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 21:57 
Fanatical Senior Member

haha rhino so your one of the guys that go for the "natural body oil and slime" method that make it easier to get in your wetty? :P

yeah im fkn lazy too. never dettolled (whatever the verb of dettol is) my suit. never had any problems. might as well keep it that way until i get those dirty dirty rashes and pimples :P

gives the suit a more "natural" smell aswell :P

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 22:34 
Fanatical Senior Member

Hahaha, I wash the suit champ. Ewwww

I know a guy who didn't and the dead skin in the wetty had bonded to the neoprene. When he went for his next big dive the bonded dead skin in the wetty reattached itself to his skin and now he has to wear it 24/7! Doesn't complain in winter tho! :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009, 11:52 
Forum Member

thanks for the replys

The only problems ive had with rust so far is my dive knife and hand spears

I've speared for a while with handspears and after afew season they start to look a little worse for wear with rust. This is hardly a problem as they cost nothing to replace. Im coming up to my second year spearing with guns so wasnt entirely sure what afew years of scratches might turn into if not properly treated.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009, 16:21 
Fanatical Senior Member

I bet that your "gun" will F-up in some otherway first before the "rust" (?) gets it... What are you diving with a trident from the iron age?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009, 15:57 
Forum Member

if you havnt seen a rusty handspear before, your not diving enough...

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2009, 10:55 
Novice Member

its not hard to wash ur gear lol all u do is line them up in the backyard grab the hose and wash them down dry and ur done hang ur wetty on the line 5 mins then dry ur spear and spray it with wd-40 and leave it in sun 2 dry

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2009, 13:22 
Fanatical Senior Member

Should definately wash your gear after every dive, no idea why mine hasn't rusted tho? Only a few guys in the club would've seen as much water as me over the last couple of years! The last shaft I got off Leigh rusted overnight, all the rest I've had for years with no issues? Different steels I guess?

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2009, 21:43 
Expert Member (SFD)

That's becoz that spear i gave you was rooted. Spring steel spears can rust pretty aggressively. I have been using the same spring steel spear for about 6 months but after most dives i clean the rust off the top section of the spear (flopper to tip) and give it a spray with paint or wd40.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 15:49 
Fanatical Senior Member

Have been diving a lot more recetnly than when I was working, but I never wash my gear either (wetsuit excluded). I have a carbon gun, the only rust I have ever noticed is on my dive knife. Just sanded it off and sprayed WD40 on it. Problem solved.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 18:08 
Forum Member

yep wd40 was the answer i was looking for..

thanks boys

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 22:33 
Novice Member

silicone grease is the bees knees. its thicker than wd40 so it wont come off as easily. it is also good for latex, and doesnt damage neoprene (unlike wd40, which will ruin both of those). you can find it as o-ring grease (camera shops, hardware store, etc), outdoor stores as zipper lube, and in plumbing where it's used for gaskets. just make sure you're not buying sealant (aka glue). If it smells like it just ate the inside of your nostrils and replaced them with ammonia, its probably the glue.

if you have some serious high wear areas on something, a nice smooth coat of marine epoxy is pretty much bomb-proof, and easy to sand or touch up. that's a whole different can of worms though.

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 03:20 
Expert Member (SFD)

surfcoastspearo wrote:
Quote:
Aluminum is actually very prone to corrosion. However, aluminum corrosion is aluminum oxide, a very hard material that actually protects the aluminum from further corrosion. Aluminum oxide corrosion also looks a lot more like aluminum, so it isn't as easy to notice as rusted iron.

This is natural Anodizing. Unless your whole gun is stripped back to bear aluminum I wouldn't worry about it.

If your that worried about wear and tear on your gear then why don't you coat everything in bubble wrap, Teflon & Kevlar. Or stop diving.

Has anyone got a photo of a gun that is so badly corroded that they can't shoot fish anymore??

Think this one may have been used a few times.

Attachments:
FusilCubanoCriollo07Complete.jpg
FusilCubanoCriollo07Complete.jpg [ 193.76 KiB | Viewed 2999 times ]