It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:55

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 11:36 
Expert Member (SFD)

I include some diagrams to illustrate the basic dimensions of the gun.

The handle diagram can be cut out and used as a template on the glued-up wood parts

Ric

Attachments:
File comment: Overall dimensions of gun
ssg handle diagram.jpg
ssg handle diagram.jpg [ 37.74 KiB | Viewed 8075 times ]
File comment: The cross hatching in the diagram gives the scale, and can be used to transfer the image to a piece of paper
ssg entire diagram.jpg
ssg entire diagram.jpg [ 13.81 KiB | Viewed 8071 times ]

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 11:42 
Fanatical Senior Member

Love your work Ric!

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 16:22 
Fanatical Senior Member

Ric
thank you for the time you are spending on this topic ... I think it makes people feel they can do it too and your passion is a great drive.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 13:18 
Expert Member (SFD)

I loaned the Southern speargun to a mate to get his impressions of it.
(He normally uses a Sea Hornet so the comparison is a bit unfair)

He said that on the positive side, the gun was a lot lighter to use in the water, and it had a lot better long distance range and accuracy.

On the negative side, he commented that he found that without the butt extension it was a bit harder to load. He also noted that the line clip needed adjstment to ensure that the shooting line stayed in place (easily fixed).

Ric

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 13:31 
Fanatical Senior Member

I'm still quite interested in making this gun one day. Cant spare the time or money for it at the moment though... Although it is always in the back of my mind.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 11:49 
Novice Member

hey man i found myself a nice slab of tassie oak and was just about to start with my first cuts before i found this post , your a legend and i hope my gun works out anything like yours. keep up the great work.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 13:39 
Forum Member

Ric that is great all the information and pictures you have given us.. My brother is great with woodwork so I think he has a new project to help me with in his spare time : )
Cheers

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 11:43 
Expert Member (SFD)

If you have any problems, post them (In fact, post your progress if you don't have problems).

I sometimes don't get to the forum for a week or so, so if I don't reply, PM me and that will send me an email.

Ric

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 15:45 
Forum Member

i am also building a similar gun,
went a brought a trigger mech today from legendary,
and bought the wood already so hopefully i can get started on it soon

cheers
frankie

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 16:51 
Forum Member

great work mate love your work, thanks for all the info

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 09:40 
Expert Member (SFD)

Spear guide recess

I received a PM asking about the recesses on the top of the stock.

When I designed the Southern Speargun, I wanted a gun that didn’t require fancy tools, or highly developed skills to construct.

If you have a router, its relatively easy to cut a channel or rail on the top of the stock, but if you don’t have a router, these become quite difficult to make. I decided to go for several spear guides that would be set into the top of the stock. The spear sits in grooves cut into the top of these guides.

To make sure that the guides are securely located in the stock, a recess, or pit, (or mortise) is cut into the top of the stock, and the bottom of the guides sits down in this recess. In the finished gun, the guides are not only held in place by glue, but are also kept there by the walls of the recess.

Cutting out a pit can require a bit of skill. To make the process simpler, parts of the recess are first cut out of the centre laminate. A square edged “U” shape is removed from the top of the stock. I did it by first using a saw to cut the forward and rear walls, then using a chisel or rasp to remove the wood in-between. Then I glued-on the side laminates for the stock, and these provided the side walls of the recess.

Once the glue had set, and the excess cleaned out, I had a rectangular shaped recess in the top of the stock, ready and waiting for the spear guide to be fitted in.

Ric

Attachments:
spear guide recess.jpg
spear guide recess.jpg [ 18.8 KiB | Viewed 7572 times ]

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 12:23 
Expert Member (SFD)

I have had some emails/pms asking about building a spear channel into the stock rather than using the spear guides I described above.

I designed this gun with guides as you can build it without having a router. But if you do have a router, a spear channel is probably better, and easier to load.

Basically, when you build the gun, you can use a hand held router to cut a spear channel down the centre of the stock. The channel extends between the shot engine (AKA trigger mechanism) and the muzzle. The spear sits in it. It stabilises the spear, making sighting and aiming more accurate, and it might reduce spear whip to some extent.

The spear needs to sit flat on the bottom of the channel, and also fit neatly into the shot engine. Fortunately, getting the correct levels for the two is not too complicated. You keep the top of the stock flat from where the shot engine is located to the muzzle. The shot engine sits in a mortise (hole) and has a flange near its top which determines how deep it is buried. I cut the spear channel between 3 and 4 millimetres deep, and about 7 mm wide.

If you follow these dimensions, the spear should sit nicely in the channel, and be a sliding fit into the shot engine.

To make the cut, I use a round ended 6 mm bit in the router, and adjust the fence so the bit sits just the tiniest amount to one side of centre, I rout the stock one way, then I take of the router, turn it around and rout the other side. To clean up the channel, I wrap a piece of sandpaper around a drill bit, and work this up and down the channel.

Sometimes, when you are in the water, it can get a bit fiddly fitting the spear into the shot engine, and getting the bridles engaging with the spear. This is especially true if you have thick gloves on. I find it a little easier to work the gun if I cut away a bit of wood for the 10 to 20 centimetres in front of the shot engine, cutting down to about 5 millimetres below the level of the top of the stock. This gives me extra room for my fingers

Ric

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2010, 07:44 
Fanatical Senior Member

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2010, 12:27 
Administrator

She better come with the gun.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2010, 12:34 
Fanatical Senior Member

Well Jazz's night obviously had a Happy Ending! :lol:

The fish were blinded by overexposure to his pure awesomeness!