It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 08:55

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Float line oppinions?
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2012, 14:54 
Novice Member

Hi All,

I have been using ski rope for my float line but i am beginning to get sick of all the tangles.

I found THIS FLOATLINE on ebay and was wondering if it was a case of too good to be true? It seems much cheaper than most lines i have seen advertised.

Having not used a float line before i was wondering if there was anything i should be looking out for in particular?

Any one have any oppinions good or bad on the above ebay floatline?

Cheers,

Joe.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2012, 15:24 
Forum Member

Joe.

I actually have the same floatline in the 20m version. I definately recommend getting the 20m with a line winder so you can shorten it as you see fit.

Overall i have found its a pretty good setup and is tangle free and floats really well, but haven't used it in relation to bigger fish as yet.

Alex

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2012, 15:51 
Novice Member

Thanks for the reply Gex,

It looks like the ebay line might be a good option then. Can you use a winder as well as a speed keeper/ flopper on the float end? The way i am picturing the winder working it seemed like you could only use a separate fish stringer rather than an on line speed keeper which might make the speed needle redundant?

For the forseable future i cant really see myself wanting to dive deeper that 10m so is there much point getting a 20m line? I mainly shore dive the back beaches and the bay so i could probably get away with shorter than 10m, although i think 5m would become limiting in a hand full of spots i dive.

Joe.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2012, 19:26 

Could always make your own....

I'm probably going to attempt this in the next few months - I have a 10 metre Ocean Hunter float line which im finding to be a bit short for some occasions (but the perfect length for most of what I do).

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2012, 22:20 
Expert Member (SFD)

Looks identical to the one Pelaj used to sell (don't think the ebay one was branded Pelaj). Appears to be a good floatline.

10m is short but it is cheap. Will be good if you only dive <8m, which doesn't take long to pass.

PostPosted: 01 May 2012, 17:16 

Joe wrote:
Hi All,

I have been using ski rope for my float line but i am beginning to get sick of all the tangles.

I found THIS FLOATLINE on ebay and was wondering if it was a case of too good to be true? It seems much cheaper than most lines i have seen advertised.

Having not used a float line before i was wondering if there was anything i should be looking out for in particular?

Any one have any oppinions good or bad on the above ebay floatline?

Cheers,

Joe.

I got a friend that sells plastic coated line cored with 3 ton dynema cord of the hook insane might be able to get you 1 for just over $100 i went to using it. No drag, less tangles, easy to put fish on.

PostPosted: 01 May 2012, 17:32 
Fanatical Senior Member

Joe
Depending on where and what you fish all you would really need is 15m of 1.8mm or 2mm Spectra / Dyneema or venetian blinds chord passed through a 3mm diametre transparent PVC aquarium pump tubing. All obtainable from bunnings or the like. This is a solid setup very easily made for $20 at the most and 15-20 mins work max

PostPosted: 01 May 2012, 19:38 
Fanatical Senior Member

Lets say your using two 35 litre floats on big game, that's 70 kg of lift when it gets pulled under add a little more for drag and 100kg covers it. In my opinion unless your hunting big tuna or marlin mono is fine.

I use 220 kg mono up the guts of 8mm tubing and nothing I've shot has got close to pulling 1 35 litre float under. The tubing itself could probably hold close to 100kg, it can take my weight.

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 12:40 
Novice Member

I am ordering 10m $69 float line foam filled. It's custom made by Ryan Baker. This floatline floats stays on surface. The other brands sink down a bit tends to tangle around the reef. The foam filled floatline comes only one colour bright orange. Ryan Baker is using australian sources materials. He can make 20m, 30 m and custom length. He run spear and fish business at Newcastle, NSW. If you want to buy foam filled float line he has facebook Spear and Fish. You can contact him about this product.

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 13:58 
General Committee Member

I bought a 20m float line for less than $100(not sure if that's still the price) off Brett, it's plastic covered dyneema and it floats. Came with speed needle and shark clip. Never lets me down. Good buy if you ask me, and local!

Last edited by Fitzy_Eire on 02 May 2012, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 15:08 
Fanatical Senior Member

Foam filled is a gimmick. Air floats more than foam does.

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 16:02 
Expert Member (SFD)

Greg wrote:
Air floats more than foam does.

It does, but its hard to keep air inside braided rope.

Foam-cored is probably a better description than foam filled, the same rope is used on some commercial fishing nets. The idea has been around for a while, good on short lengths but its too floaty for long float ropes so never really took off.

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 17:01 
Fanatical Senior Member

Now they make sense, not what I'd imagined at all.