It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:40

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Gun Recommendation
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 15:36 
Novice Member

Looking to upgrade from the sling and purchase my first speargun. After doing a bit of research I am either going to get the Rob Allen Scorpia or the Beuchat Marlin Speargun.
Does anyone have any preferences between the two? I will be mainly spearing in PPB.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Gun Recommendation
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 16:32 
Expert Member (SFD)

probably both would go ok mate.

Get a 1m gun. Picasso guns go good.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 22:27 
Fanatical Senior Member

Without knowing the retail price for each I think both of those two options might well set you back a fair bit for what is to be your first speargun
In my view I would perhaps opt for a slightly more affordable alternative to begin with (and the 'Puss gave you a good suggestion with the Picasso range)
This will give you a better opportunity to understand what in a speargun is right for you and for the fishing you do so that later on you can invest the big bucks in what's truly adequate
If you end up liking the sport you will most likely end up with more than 1 gun within the first 2 years anyway

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 00:06 
Novice Member

Appreciate the advice. Looking at prices though, Legendary has the cheapest Picasso at 298 dollars, however the two I mentioned are cheaper than that at Adreno. I know this is going to be something I will be doing for a long while as I've had a lot of experience with the sling so I don't see these prices being too expensive for my first speargun.
Definetely looking at the 1m guns though.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 13:12 

Only until resently all i had was a undersea that was banged together from parts salvaged from various ruined guns. It was a 900 and i was spearing in qld. You don't really need a wizz bang gun, i did fine with it - i even took out the womens side of the titals with it. I still use it for rock bashing and i actually like it better in some ways than my rob allen carbon which was $450 (on a massive sale) compared to $70 in parts for the undersea....

Just saying you don't need an awsome gun. If you do want one tho, legendary has far better customer service than adreno. Theyll help you set up your gun and are easy to go see any time. Its a bit hard to go see adreno in brisbane..... plus they seem to be fucking up orders alot of late....

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2012, 02:04 
Fanatical Senior Member

couldnt agree more with andrew. my family owns a small buisness and it shits me when people chose to not support local buisness and buy stuff overseas and then have the audacity to ask about the item they bought.

as for gun recommendations go i personally dont like the beuchat muzzles, i find them clumsy when reloading.

head to a bricks and mortar shop like legendary, pay the little bit extra for the service and you wont be disappointed. and hey you wont get hated on either because you will have all the info you need rather than clogging up the forum with shit-for-brains posts

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 22:25 
Novice Member

as stated earlier, go a Picasso.
its all you really need for the bay.
ive had mine for 2 years now, not a single issue.

the extra 20 or 30 bucks you pay from legendary as opposed to online are well worth it.
they can help new divers out with far more info than the checkout button on paypal.
as someone whos only been diving a few years ive found it well worth paying a few extra dollars.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2012, 19:27 
Expert Member (SFD)

Go to Legendary!

Most important as has been stated, they are local and why not put you dollars into the Aussie economy? The knowlege and help/warranty they can give is worth more than your $20-30.? The equipement they stock is all you will ever need. Cheers!

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 18:26 

Aimrite aussie made family owned.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 23:05 
Fanatical Senior Member

Saint wrote:
Aimrite aussie made family owned.

i thought they were a hawiian company and aimrite australia was simply the franchise of aimrite usa? thats what i've heard anyhow.

none the less great gear. ive got one of their floats and its awesome and have picked up a few of their guns and they look top stuff

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 23:21 

Nope they started in in the states but They are made in QLD now The family moved to be closer to The guys wife.
http://www.aimrite.com.au/venom.php

Last edited by Saint on 01 May 2012, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 23:27 
Expert Member (SFD)

Have you considered writing gear reviews Saint? We'd all be pretty amazed to find out what type of guns you like

PostPosted: 01 May 2012, 00:31 

Vids say it all lol. I havent yet mainly because i use my Ipad. And i have been picked for supporting this brand if there is a intrest sure.

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 23:30 
Novice Member

Edge all the way! dont get talked in to buying an overpriced carbon bling gun they shoot no more fish than some thing half the price :) Edge gun are Aussie made and always have been as far as ali guns go they leave the rest for dead

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 08:23 
Expert Member (SFD)

legandary's Torelli range and brett illingworths guns are also aussie made. These guys are club sponsors and their guns are proven quality.