It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:48

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: timber speargun build
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2012, 15:30 
Novice Member

gday crew,

thought i post up some pics and details of the gun ive built over the past couple of months

when i started spearing i had a 600mm gun which was fairly servicable and got some ok fish, but i wanted something a bit bigger for the longer shots on more timid species like whiting and snapper etc.

the result was borne from my stubbornness to part ways with the dollar on things i believe i can build myself. in the end the gun wound up at 1000mm ish, 20mm single band, riffe trigger mech, custom ply laminated handle, 2x(42x19mm) kd barrel epoxy laminated and screwed with stainless screws, open muzzle with rare earth magnets to hold the spear in place. shooting line is just dyneema with a 200mm piece of rubber for a bungee (will change to mono soon). the coating is simply 7 coats of watsons marine varnish, with epoxy to seal up joins.

despite the gun only taking about 8 hours actual construction time, the build has gone on for over 4 months because unfortunately work intervenes with pleasure.

total cost was well under $200, including $99 for the trigger mech

tools used were a trimmer / router, impact driver, drill, coping saw (handle), clamps, hand saw. the router isnt crucial - but im impatient.

a big thanks goes out to ric fallu for posting his build and inspiring me (i promised id build one!) and also brett illingworth for giving me some good feedback on band selection, even if you talked yourself out of a sale!

performance wise iv taken it out 3 times in the past week, and nailed good pinkies with ease every time. on the first dive i didn't quite allow of recoil and eyed up a shot, literally. it is barely bouyant with the spear in, and despite a bulky looking barrel it moves true in the water and is easy to manouvre and track. aiming is dead set easy.

with that gun built im going to pull apart the functional bit of the little gun and turn it into a woody also - more to come on that later.

all i can say is that if you're even slightly practical - give it a go.

see flickr account for complete build pictures - if you've got questions im happy to answer.

flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/big_ryza/sets/72157629260025618/

Attachment:
IMG_20111117_105040.jpg
IMG_20111117_105040.jpg [ 85.6 KiB | Viewed 2862 times ]

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2012, 18:52 
Forum Member

Fantastic. Look forward to the day when I do the same. Can't beat the satisfaction that comes with a successful serviceable DIY.

....who would've thunk that trees could be so versatile?

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2012, 19:07 
Novice Member

just buy a handle or trigger mech and the rest will happen....

trees were meant to be utilised like this :lol: they've got fat chance of providing me with dinner standing in a forest

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012, 10:16 

Nice one!

How's the lack of a trigger guard gone for you though? Looks a bit exposed the way it is; maybe a bit vulnerable to getting caught up on something in the car going to/from the water and the the trigger ends up getting bent/broken off?

Hard to see from the pic, but it looks like you went without the "safety" option for the Riffe mech. Would be interested to hear just how smooth, reliable, quiet and accessible these are, so if it's actually on there, some comments on your impression of this would be great.

Been thinking of having a crack at this, but haven't found a credible enough excuse for doing so yet (my current speargun has been meeting all my needs to date just fine).....

... I am however working on getting my brother-in-law to give spearing a go, so naturally I'll be needing a spare to lend him when it happens. ;) :)

He's left it a bit late for this year, but if I keep a little mild pressure on over winter, it might just happen next spring/summer. Sounds like a good reason for me to get in a bit of shed time over winter in preparation for this. 8)

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012, 17:21 
Novice Member

gday roamin',

yeah i went with the commonsense safety - i.e. if you're not aware, stiff shit. i normally swim around with my finger behind the trigger between the handle, which fits snugly and we haven't had a misfire to date.

i urge you to give building one a go - im most of the way through my next one, and ive got an order for my first paid job. both of these will have the full handle mech instead of building one. the other advantage to this is a trigger activated line release.

pm me if you want any more info, or if you wanna have a dive and have a go yourself.

stay wet